what would you do

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
No, but you claim to be of another nationality, but you refer to a white guy as "billy bob"? I find that racist and offensive. But because you are neither white or black, you dont see anything wrong with racial slurs as long as it does not involve you.

Cant have it both ways. Racism is racism, wrong is wrong. Who does the wrong should have no bearing on the conversation or be an excuse for bad immoral behavior.

The proper thing to have done would have been to speak up against the stupid driver to let him know that this type of behavior is not allowed, and is illegal. Your whining about going to management or not really is not the issue. The issue is that you lacked the backbone to stand up against the idiot and his behavior at the time, and are looking to us to make you feel better about yourself.

See, you contradicted your own claim of you not thinking it was racism by doing nothing, but yet posting it here as something bad. You knew it was racist, even though you claim otherwise. All you really were was someone that was totally spineless watching something take place and didnt speak up at the time it would have done some good. That is if this incident even really ever happened.

What would you have done had the one driver been of your nationality, and the other driver said something racist about him? Would you have gotten involved? After all, that then would have been racist against your race.

You seem to have an issue with hiding behind double standards, as long as you are not the target.

but this driver had to be straight ouf of the backwoods of the deep south...

Ah yes, and only racists can exist in the deep south. I guess you dont get around much do you?

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The comment was just wrong. Im sure tho if the man were offended, he would report it. And say he had a witness.
Hes probably a man more confident in himself than some lowlife who has not progressed in society. And figured it was not worth his time or anger. And he would be right.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tooner

I agree that if the gentleman was offended, he would have reported it to the sups on duty. Personally, I think that it should have been addressed at that time. But for what ever reason it was not.

I do find it interesting that someone that does not think it was racist, but says he knows it was wrong, stood by and did or said nothing. But yet the vast majority of the respondents have not had any question about it being racist, and would have taken action of one type or another.

While I know some of the feeder drivers are a bit off brain wise, I do find the usage of "poopyskin" a large stretch of the imagination.

That being said, racism has no place in our society, our company, or our lives. Morally it is wrong, it is illegal, and it is destructive where ever it rears its ugly head.

d

P

pickup

Thats interesting. We have someone that once again is speaking on the behalf of several million people about preferences.

I have many "African Americans" that I work around and with, that refer to each other by terms that would get a white person in trouble or arrested should they use the same terms.

The very fact that you feel like you have to clarify "American" to me is racist. More than likely, you were born here, not Africa. So that makes you American 100%. Now me on the other hand, I was not born here, so that would make me "fill in the blank American" and the term would be proper.

So by the very fact you feel like you need to call yourself something else besides American just because of the color of your skin, in my view makes you a racist. Any person that wants to segment a population because of skin color, or highlight it or other differences is a racist.

So that would make your statement a racist statement.

But it seems like we have different rules that apply to different people, once again, dependent on skin color.

d

er, danny, I am sorry you went through all the trouble about reponding to my quote (i am the one who put that up about saying the preferred term is Afican Americans ) I was just trying to apply the "what is good for the gander is good for the goose" theory because city driver was holding dilligaf's feet to the fire about supposedly racist statements. In my post that you quoted, it was my intention to show how by a being overly technical, I could hold citydriver's feet to the fire as well.

In response to trpnkl's inquiry later on in the thread, I told him that it was indeed a joke

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Tooner

I agree that if the gentleman was offended, he would have reported it to the sups on duty. Personally, I think that it should have been addressed at that time. But for what ever reason it was not.

I do find it interesting that someone that does not think it was racist, but says he knows it was wrong, stood by and did or said nothing. But yet the vast majority of the respondents have not had any question about it being racist, and would have taken action of one type or another.

While I know some of the feeder drivers are a bit off brain wise, I do find the usage of "poopyskin" a large stretch of the imagination.

That being said, racism has no place in our society, our company, or our lives. Morally it is wrong, it is illegal, and it is destructive where ever it rears its ugly head.

d
I don't think it's illegal to be rascist. Acting in a way to harm someone, because of rascism may be illegal, but the fact that you don't like this race or that race, is not illegal. You don't have to like the person you live near or work with, but you can't do them harm.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was not delving into what anyone thought about racism. Im not involved, I dont care. I was not calling anyone out, its just my thought on the subject. While different, sort of the same when calling anyone a poopyskin or what ever the heck it was. Its stupid.
The whole thing kind of reminds me of a schoolyard bully. When picking on the new kid coz he wears glasses, is too short, too tall or too fat. Find what a bully considers to be different and pick on it.
I dont care for bullies. I was bullied as a child by other kids coz I was too tall, didnt have nice clothes, and lived in an ugly, by some peoples measure dilapidated house. Screw them, was my philosophy. And now when I see them, they look freaking old, I dont, and I have nicer cars, better kids, and a nicer house. Above all Im nice. And dont treat people any different than I ever did. Its called humility I guess. My parents always told me their parents didnt teach them manners. Its not their fault. My parents were right. But once you reach adulthood, your childhood is over . You need to grow up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
i find this all odd, just because i was raised in a some what prejudiced household. My dad was pretty prejudiced. He would be ok with a few minorities while talking to their face but behind closed doors he would let the N-word go (or whatever description to the particular race at hand). My dad would go as far as saying that he would not watch a movie if it starred or featured black people. Funny thing was that one of his favorite movies had been I'm Gonn'a Getcha Sucker. My dad used to even tell me as I was getting into my teens that if i were to ever bring home a black girl that she better have a change of address card with her since i would be looking for a new place to live shortly there after.

My brother too is s bit of a racist. I think for my brother and my dad part of it came from being State Troopers. They would end up seing the sterotypical bad things that people of ethnic background would do without even putting into perspective that white people do stupid things as well and break the law.

I have admittedly, in the past, let some of my ignorance slip but nothing as far as pointing a finger and referring to someone inappropriately. And as far referrring to black people as black that seems to be the general consenus of all the black people that I have ever been friends with throughout the years. when asked if they would prefer the term African-american all of them told me no, they had never been to Africa.

P

pickup

i find this all odd, just because i was raised in a some what prejudiced household. My dad was pretty prejudiced. He would be ok with a few minorities while talking to their face but behind closed doors he would let the N-word go (or whatever description to the particular race at hand). My dad would go as far as saying that he would not watch a movie if it starred or featured black people. Funny thing was that one of his favorite movies had been I'm Gonn'a Getcha Sucker. My dad used to even tell me as I was getting into my teens that if i were to ever bring home a black girl that she better have a change of address card with her since i would be looking for a new place to live shortly there after.

My brother too is s bit of a racist. I think for my brother and my dad part of it came from being State Troopers. They would end up seing the sterotypical bad things that people of ethnic background would do without even putting into perspective that white people do stupid things as well and break the law.

I have admittedly, in the past, let some of my ignorance slip but nothing as far as pointing a finger and referring to someone inappropriately. And as far referrring to black people as black that seems to be the general consenus of all the black people that I have ever been friends with throughout the years. when asked if they would prefer the term African-american all of them told me no, they had never been to Africa.

Okay I was joking about the African American part somewhat. Its true that no one in that group or other people refer to them as that except when the spokespeople speak for that group. Listen to any speech by today' leaders, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton for example and they will use this term . It actually takes longer to say,more syllables, but it is the politcally correct term. I heard some talk a few years ago that there was debate with the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People. African Americans(and I am dancing on a razor's edge here I know) used to be called in polite society, negoes, blacks, coloreds. The NAACP doesn't use these terms anymore but prefers , you guess it : African Americans. Well, the debate was had and they decided to keep the brand name they invested in over the years and didn't go with the new NAAAAA brand.

Nuff said , I ain't saying anymore about this issue.

City Driver

No, but you claim to be of another nationality, but you refer to a white guy as "billy bob"? I find that racist and offensive. But because you are neither white or black, you dont see anything wrong with racial slurs as long as it does not involve you.

Cant have it both ways. Racism is racism, wrong is wrong. Who does the wrong should have no bearing on the conversation or be an excuse for bad immoral behavior.

The proper thing to have done would have been to speak up against the stupid driver to let him know that this type of behavior is not allowed, and is illegal. Your whining about going to management or not really is not the issue. The issue is that you lacked the backbone to stand up against the idiot and his behavior at the time, and are looking to us to make you feel better about yourself.

See, you contradicted your own claim of you not thinking it was racism by doing nothing, but yet posting it here as something bad. You knew it was racist, even though you claim otherwise. All you really were was someone that was totally spineless watching something take place and didnt speak up at the time it would have done some good. That is if this incident even really ever happened.

What would you have done had the one driver been of your nationality, and the other driver said something racist about him? Would you have gotten involved? After all, that then would have been racist against your race.

You seem to have an issue with hiding behind double standards, as long as you are not the target.

Ah yes, and only racists can exist in the deep south. I guess you dont get around much do you?

d

i said hes from the deep south because when i spoke to him earlier that day he had a hat with a confederate flag on it, had a very southern accent and was basically the definition of a redneck

if that makes me racist, for telling the truth that this guy was indeed a very southern, country, billy bob backwoods good ol boy then sure, im a racist

i never said i hate them folks they are bad people and i wish they would move out of the country or die

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Considering African Americans call themselves "strong black men" and "strong black women" and etc, then why is it not acceptable to call them black men and women?

I have absolutely no problem, if I am in a group of "African Americans", that they call me the white man. That is not racist.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
when the spokespeople speak for that group. Listen to any speech by today' leaders, Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton for example and they will use this term .

And who was it that elected the two you gave as an example to be spokes persons for that group?

Just like every other group, when the majority are silent on a subject, and there are several loud mouths, then everybody assumes that those people speak for all the larger group.

Carry that to the extreme, and you have what happened in Germany in the 30's and 40's.

I find it interesting that in a country that is truly interested in a society that does not look at a persons skin color when judging, but yet we have exclusive black colleges, associations for the advancement for one race over another, scholarship funds for people of one race that is not open to all regardless of race, the list goes on and on.

IT would seem that some people have a deep vested interest in keeping race an issue for many generations to come. But yet to hear them speak, they want racism not to exist. But their actions speak louder than words.

And yes city, I do take offense at you referring to a white man as billy bob, and your other stereotypical statements that are your own personal racist beliefs. And how about this, no, I am not from the south, I dont live in the back woods, and no, I would never think of saying anything remotely like what was said. But I do find it interesting that you dont think your stereotypical profiling is not racist. But then again, not your race is it?

d

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i said hes from the deep south because when i spoke to him earlier that day he had a hat with a confederate flag on it, had a very southern accent and was basically the definition of a redneck

REally, how does a feeder driver with a confederate flag on his hat, go wandering around a UPS facility without someone stoping him?

Anyone but me find this whole conversation a bit off?

d

City Driver

maybe because i work for UPS freight and hes a road driver, and while they do wear uniforms, while on the dock working the mini hub shift they can wear whatever the hell they want like any other dock worker

bellesotico

BOXstar
REally, how does a feeder driver with a confederate flag on his hat, go wandering around a UPS facility without someone stoping him?

Anyone but me find this whole conversation a bit off?

d

I do.

I guess I just don't get it.
What I really want to know is if City Driver would've reported it had the black guy turned around and punched the white guy in the mouth.

City Driver- The fact that the incident stood out enough in your mind to prompt you to start a BC topic but not to report the incident to HR is a real head scratcher.
I'm also trying to figure out the point in addressing such an offensive remark and in the process throwing out a potentially offensive stereotype.
The way I see it using the words 'Good ol boy' or 'redneck' to describe someone you believe to be from the deep south isn't much better than some jerk throwing out the 'poopyface' remark.
Racists come from all regions. Period.
If you weren't offended by the other driver or moved enough to speak up and tell him what a foul remark it was, I don't see the point in your post.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Whoa, this has gotten out of hand, fast. I was under the impression that CD was just throwing something out there to see how other BC'ers would have responded, not for people to tell him what to do and what not to do. We all come from different places in life and I think we need to remember this when it comes to other peoples thought processes. Not everyone likes what they hear people say everyday, but not everyone is willing to tattletale everytime a crude remark is said. JMHO, as always!

bellesotico

BOXstar
STUG-

Fair game don't you think?

I agree that not everyone comes from the same school of thought, but when you post something of this nature I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that everyone is going to support his actions or lack thereof.

It's the chance you take when you consult a diverse [sex, age, race, etc..] forum such as BC, on a hot button topic.

But of course that is just my opinion =)

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Whoa, this has gotten out of hand, fast. I was under the impression that CD was just throwing something out there to see how other BC'ers would have responded, not for people to tell him what to do and what not to do. We all come from different places in life and I think we need to remember this when it comes to other peoples thought processes. Not everyone likes what they hear people say everyday, but not everyone is willing to tattletale everytime a crude remark is said. JMHO, as always!

Last edited:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUG-

Fair game don't you think?

I agree that not everyone comes from the same school of thought, but when you post something of this nature I don't think it is unreasonable to believe that everyone is going to support his actions or lack thereof.

It's the chance you take when you consult a diverse [sex, age, race, etc..] forum such as BC, on a hot button topic.

But of course that is just my opinion =)
Point, counter point, very well said, belle.

P

pickup

Thats interesting. We have someone that once again is speaking on the behalf of several million people about preferences

The very fact that you feel like you have to clarify "American" to me is racist. More than likely, you were born here, not Africa. So that makes you American 100%. Now me on the other hand, I was not born here, so that would make me "fill in the blank American" and the term would be proper.

d

excerpt from a newspaper interview with president elect, Obama, dec. 2008 ,los angeles times.

Barack Obama: Obviously, I am honored and gratified to be part of this journey to change how race is viewed and dealt with in this country. But I think it's important to understand, it's not just me, or African Americans, that want to see better race relations. I think all Americans do. That's part of the message that I delivered throughout this campaign. And so I think the burden is going to be on all of us to continue to make progress on these fronts. I think there are some specific things that we should do as a nation, some that are specific to civil rights.

According to your definition, his usage of the term in question would be racist. Gee, who elected him as the spokesperson of the American people?

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
According to your definition, his usage of the term in question would be racist. Gee, who elected him as the spokesperson of the American people?

As president, he needs to try to be politically correct in what he says. Not accurate.

That being said, I still dont understand the big deal about putting a label on yourself that makes you stand out and be different, but then when people point out that fact, its racism? The very fact that he spoke about African Americans in particular says that he wants this to be an issue for many years.

I say get over it. Move on. What is it that you want to accomplish by being different, but yet the same. I dont get it.

I view everyone that is a citizen as an American. Why do you have to feel like you need to separate yourself, but then demand to be included?

I find it interesting that when we take the question of race off the application form, who is it that raises hell?

So why do the African Americans feel like they need to keep the race card alive?

Bell

I dont think I would have gone to the management team right off, at least on my own. I would for sure jumped the guy for his stupidity and racist remark. I would then have asked the offended driver what he wanted to do about it, and would support his decision 100%, including the discharge of the driver. This goes way past stupid, but then again, I think this is all a bunch of crap that never happened.

d