What would you do?????

rod

Retired 22 years
I would have attemted a delivery on the way out of town (left them a delivery notice with the centers # on it)- sent management a message that you tried but failed because the were closed and would probably would be closed again on my return -asked them what they wanted me to do(put the ball in their court) - drove to my regular route delivered a few stops and went to lunch like IndesisiOn suggested. With any luck the company that missed their packages would have called the center and ripped them a new one for being so stupid.

HULKAMANIA

Ok I have a question about all the drivers that are saying to reattempt the delivery. Hands down the fault is on the dispatch, but we have been taught that we make 1 attempt per day. If he sheeted it up at 9:30, within UPS's rules thats totally acceptable. Alot of drivers are saying ok make the 60 mile round trip, and personally if I had to do that I would be furious. When Im on that truck I want to get done and get off that thing as fast as possible. Im not talking about running and gunning, Im just saying I dont want to be in the big brown turd any longer than I have to be. Secondly he stated that he TOLD management that this isnt going to work, so why should he have to worry about attempting twice to save managements screw up? I think he did the right thing, yes its sad that they did that to the business and I understand thats where all our revenue comes from. However management does that to you once and you are EXPECTED to do it again. The ONLY way you can get them to CHANGE something is to do exactly what he did. That FORCES them to make it right! All us drivers say we need to do such and such to get things to change in this company. Its not going to change if we continue to cover up THEIR garbage.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The best bet is to come into work at least an hour before start time. Use that time to go through your load and decide what you can't or don't want to deliver. Also use some of the time to become friendly with the dispatch person. Perhaps develop a "texting relationship" with that person as well. You should be able to get unwanted stops removed and stops that you can not deliver at the proper time. Surely someone else will be able too. Good luck and I hope my advice serves you well.

gostillerz

Well said Hulk. Upstate. It doesn't matter if the place was closed. Normal business hours are 9-5. That is an "attempt". He told management about the problem and they did nothing. He wasn't directed by his Oncar to re-attempt the delivery later either. If he was, but still didn't go back, then a paddlin' is called for of course. This was managements' screwup. I'd grieve the hell out of that warning letter.

I have a business on my route that get nda's all of the time, but they don't open until 11:00. I sheet it as clo1 and go back later because it's close and they hook me up with ice cream. If they were 30 miles away, I'm sure as hell not going back unless I'm told to.

rocket man

Was given a bulk stop yesterday for a Comm stop that is in the same town as the center, only problem is, my route is in a town 30 miles away and the Comm stop opens late!!!! I tell the OEM that I will have trouble del that stop beacause they will be closed when I go by there and I have to get to my route!!!! He didn't seem that it bothered him, so it sure didn;t bother me!!!! Made a attempt on area going by Edd, and they were closed!!!! Get called in the office this AM and completely chewed out by the center mngr and wrote up for not providing service to the customer!!!! Was told I should have made a redelivery at 745 last night when I came back into town!!! My Edd showed no stops left and making another atempt was the last thing on my mind after a 11 hour day!!! I want to know what you would do??? I want to file harassment papers!!! Totaly uncalled for!!
call local

HULKAMANIA

Well from the way I understood what he was saying is that the business wouldnt be open at 7:30 either, so either way its a failed delivery. Thats the whole point they sent him out with a failed dispatch. So if he goes out runs the 60 miles round trip for just 1 stop, then doesnt make it back in time for air to go out then hes still in the office getting the same run around. Ontop of that I dont know very many routes to where you can justify running 60 miles, and not miss other business commit times. He was screwed from the get go. If we as drivers are expected to KNOW what works and what doesnt, what good does it do to tell management something and it gets brushed off? My whole point is that management NEEDED to change it and they didnt.

satellitedriver

Has Everyone forgotten that the center sent him out with an 11hr dispatch?
That leaves little room for him to go traipsing around trying to re-deliver a bulk stop that should have never been on his pkg car.
I guess that I am just old and ornery.
I would just .... ...., and feed them fish heads.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The best bet is to come into work at least an hour before start time. Use that time to go through your load and decide what you can't or don't want to deliver. Also use some of the time to become friendly with the dispatch person. Perhaps develop a "texting relationship" with that person as well. You should be able to get unwanted stops removed and stops that you can not deliver at the proper time. Surely someone else will be able too. Good luck and I hope my advice serves you well.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The sad reality of our company is that, oftentimes, the only way we can force our "management teams" to make rational dispatch decisions is to shove so many service failures up their ass that they will do anything to make the pain stop. We can explain the reality of the situation to them until we are blue in the face, but the only consequence that they are capable of comprehending is missed packages on the next days report. Its kind of like using a cattle prod to motivate a 2000 lb. lobotomized cow into moving in the desired direction. The cow will go anywhere you want it to...eventually....if you turn the voltage up high enough.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well said Hulk. Upstate. It doesn't matter if the place was closed. Normal business hours are 9-5. That is an "attempt".

I deliver to Gamestop. We are contractually required to complete this delivery by noon. They don't open until 1000 but the manager is usually there by 0930. They do not want their packages indirected. I am usually there at 0945 and am normally able to complete the delivery but on those days when she is not there I will scan any NDA as CLO 1 and will come back. There is no way that I could scan the stop as CLO 1 and not make an attempt during their posted business hours.

I will tell you that if I owned a business and you made your only delivery attempt before I opened I would be on the phone with your center manager.

barnyard

KTM rider
I deliver to Gamestop. We are contractually required to complete this delivery by noon. They don't open until 1000 but the manager is usually there by 0930. They do not want their packages indirected. I am usually there at 0945 and am normally able to complete the delivery but on those days when she is not there I will scan any NDA as CLO 1 and will come back. There is no way that I could scan the stop as CLO 1 and not make an attempt during their posted business hours.

I will tell you that if I owned a business and you made your only delivery attempt before I opened I would be on the phone with your center manager.

So what.

You are taking care of someone ON YOUR ROUTE.

The OP was given a bulk stop 30 miles off route. He/she was trying to make a point. He/she warned management what would happen, then he/she followed through.

Hopefully management learned not to do that again. The OP got a warning letter. Grieve it, don't grieve it; if your record is clean, leave it won't matter. If you are being effed with every other day, grieve it.

Unfortunately, we cannot grieve stupidity.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The sad reality of our company is that, oftentimes, the only way we can force our "management teams" to make rational dispatch decisions is to shove so many service failures up their ass that they will do anything to make the pain stop. We can explain the reality of the situation to them until we are blue in the face, but the only consequence that they are capable of comprehending is missed packages on the next days report. Its kind of like using a cattle prod to motivate a 2000 lb. lobotomized cow into moving in the desired direction. The cow will go anywhere you want it to...eventually....if you turn the voltage up high enough.

Unfortunately, what you say is all too true. I've been there and done the same thing (or something similar to what the OP did). Got chewed out as well. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

brown bomber

brown bomber
you can't be serious....isn't this a violation...working off of the clock