What would you do?

UPSGUY72

Grab signature and hand the boxes. I was instructed by a center manager several years ago to get signature whenever I have contact with a customer. This was after another driver sheeted a package as MCM and the package went missing. Even if I didn't get signature, I would hand the packages.

So if the customer didn't come to the door you would have sheeted the packages as Ni1 ??? Otherwise your just playing games with your aloud time.

Indecisi0n

This is not the method---the method is to sheet (record) while walking when possible. 9 times out of 10 I have the package sheeted and DR location chosen as I am walking to the door. You are not using your time in the optimal manner.

No, that's managements "method." If I am scanning the package while walking then how am I scanning my walk path?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, that's managements "method." If I am scanning the package while walking then how am I scanning my walk path?

Are you one of those who can't walk and chew gum at the same time? It is very easy to sheet and scan at the same time. I and many others before me have been doing it for a very long time.

Indecisi0n

Are you one of those who can't walk and chew gum at the same time? It is very easy to sheet and scan at the same time. I and many others before me have been doing it for a very long time.

I am not risking my health and safety for a stupid package or "time". Not scanning the walk path is dangerous and can lead to injuries. No thank you.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We are instructed not to scan the packages until we get to the house.

Listen I could care less about over under or scratch but technically u get credit for how far you walk. You only get credit if you scan the packages in the back of the truck then stop complete at the spot you deliver them.

kingOFchester

Listen I could care less about over under or scratch but technically u get credit for how far you walk. You only get credit if you scan the packages in the back of the truck then stop complete at the spot you deliver them.

I am not sure you get any more time by scanning in truck vs scanning at door, unless your talking about a time study.

Brownslave688

BS, did your center team give you this directive? In my center if we were to do this it would result in a sit-down with the center manager for failure to follow proper DR methods.

BS on what? I just DR and go in this situation just as you do. The problem you have is you don't understand every situation is unique. People that have been burned having to pay for an expensive package or maybe deliver to not the best area are going to cover their @$$. Getting this signature when possible gives them an extra layer of protection and takes what 5-10 seconds.

Indecisi0n

I am not sure this is true. I was told you are given time based on where the truck is parked and where you stop complete the deliver. The distance between the two is used. Either way, i scan when i get to the house and complete at the house. If i ever get a follow up the paper will show me scanning at front door and DR'ing at front door.

Brownslave688

I am not sure you get any more time by scanning in truck vs scanning at door, unless your talking about a time study.

Yes I was talking about a time study. Personally I just don't see the point in waiting til I'm already at the stop to scan them we all have our own way of doing things though.

kingOFchester

Yes I was talking about a time study. Personally I just don't see the point in waiting til I'm already at the stop to scan them we all have our own way of doing things though.

Agree. What works best for me, and past management in my "bubble of a cluster friend'k" is to scan while in the back of the truck. I am standing, not walking. With the crazy splits it will also inform me where the customer MAY have requested all deliveries to be made. No sense in walking in the wrong direction to find out I should be heading in another direction. I then am able to clip DIAD. Use 3 points of contact exiting truck and scan my path as I briskly walk to delivery point. Customer comes to door, I grab signature while making friendly banter until signature is obtained. This is what I do when I have a sup on board or out solo. Will continue to do so until I am directed to do other wise.

barnyard

KTM rider
Customer comes to door, I grab signature while making friendly banter until signature is obtained. This is what I do when I have a sup on board or out solo. Will continue to do so until I am directed to do other wise.

That is the way my 1st on-car trained me also. I had a ride along with the center manager a couple of years later and he asked, "Why did you have that guy sign??" Me, "Because he was there and it did not take any time to do and my on car told me to." Him, "Don't do that anymore."

Ok.

I have had negatives on resi packages that I got a signature and resi packages that I MCM/W. It happens. Not lately though. Since coming off comp, I have not had a follow up. Have had 1 concern though. Turns out, a lady on the route I am covering does not like small boxes dropped between the outside in inside front doors. She really, really hates it when she says, "All you UPS guys are :censored2:s" and I respond, "All of us??? Really??? Maybe it is you, not us."

She slammed the door so hard, I thought it was going to break off the hinges.

At AA meetings, one of the 'things we do' is pray for the alcoholic that still suffers.

kingOFchester

That is the way my 1st on-car trained me also. I had a ride along with the center manager a couple of years later and he asked, "Why did you have that guy sign??" Me, "Because he was there and it did not take any time to do and my on car told me to." Him, "Don't do that anymore."

Ok.

I have had negatives on resi packages that I got a signature and resi packages that I MCM/W. It happens. Not lately though. Since coming off comp, I have not had a follow up. Have had 1 concern though. Turns out, a lady on the route I am covering does not like small boxes dropped between the outside in inside front doors. She really, really hates it when she says, "All you UPS guys are :censored2:s" and I respond, "All of us??? Really??? Maybe it is you, not us."

She slammed the door so hard, I thought it was going to break off the hinges.

At AA meetings, one of the 'things we do' is pray for the alcoholic that still suffers.

First congrats on your recovery, or what ever term you use. kudos.

I think, or at lease hope, we can all agree that every sup or center manager have their own demands and expectations. Perfect example is the training we took a few months ago about obvious damaged goods. Shortly after the training we were told not to sheet them as missed or anything other then ni1. I had 2 boxes of wine. One was leaking, the other was fine. Called sup, was told to sheet the leaker as NI1. So I obtained signature for the 1 box and NI1 the 2nd. Made no sense to me, but here again I work as directed. Wonder what the customer would of thought if they tracked the packages.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The fact that you have to ask this question clearly tells me that you are in the wrong job. You do the right thing--you pick the packages up and hand them to the customer.

koc--getting a signature when the customer is standing right in front of you is a waste of both your time and the customers time. DR MC and move on. I have never had a negative DFU on a DR MC.

And yet I have seen tracers/DFUs generated on packages that did have a signature.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...or he could do it the way that he was trained and sheet it as missed...

BTW, Brownslave, I was not calling BS on your post--I was simply abbreviating your screen name in my reply. I apologize if you thought otherwise. Dave.

Indecision--it is really not that hard to walk and use the DIAD at the same time. I also take advantage of any delays (elevators) to sheet my next stop so that I can hand the DIAD to the receiver as I make the delivery. All of these little things, like not getting an unnecessary signature, add up over the course of the day.