What would you do?

CharleyHustle

I scan when it's easiest, in the car, on the walk, or at the stop. I'd always pick up the package and hand to the customer, except if it's real heavy, then I'll ask if they want it inside the door if it looks like they can't handle it themselves. I only get a signature when directed to by the board. I'd be real careful about always getting signatures from good looking customers, we had a driver almost lose his job when this babe knew she didn't have to sign and called in a harassment complaint. I'm just an hourly employee, so I don't really care what other people do.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
4. The multitude of "methods" for doing our job have been carefully designed by the company so that by following one you automatically violate another. The goal is to create a scenario in which the employee is always at fault and can be blamed when something goes wrong. Heads they win, tails you lose.

THIS for ever and ever and ever!

kingOFchester

Sober, do u really believe that the methods were carefully designed to make management always right? Not necessarily disagreeing with you but certainly not 100% agreeing with you either.

WorknLateHuh

Why would you get a signature on non-signtature required packages when the customer is standing right in front of you? DR MC and move on.

Everyone knows that mandatory protocol for this situation is as follows. It's quite simple... If it's a hot girl that answers the door, a signature is required regardless of shipper release, my choice, etc.

Btw, long time lurker, 1st time poster. Greetings all.

Justaname

Sounds as though your mgt team needs a refresher course on driver release methods. No, you do not ignore a direct order.
At ups CORPORATE schools integrad they have a scenario where you deliver a dr to a residential stop. As you put the package down a customer answers the door. You then get a signature. If corporate is training the new drivers with this method maybe its your mgt team who needs a refresher.

Justaname

Customer opens door--you hand them package. DR MC
An instructor was telling us a main reason for integrad was because a lot of drivers were thought wrong from what corporate intended. Different supervisor, center, or center manager, different policy. Dr out of sight out of weather. However, if you deliver to a person take a second and obtain a signature. To me it sounds not only better for yourself and ups, but for the customer who shipped it dealing with fraud. It's as easy and fast as....... Obtaining a signature.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Both you and koc have said that you would get the signature. Why would you get a signature on non-signtature required packages when the customer is standing right in front of you? DR MC and move on.
It's dishonesty and you will at the least get a talking to. You get time for every signature but if it's not a signature required and you get one you can get in trouble. It is stealing time if you bonus.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could it be that the folks at Integrad are having the trainees get a signature rather than DRing the package to give them more practice with the DIAD?

If I walk in tomorrow morning and the center manager directs that we are to obtain a signature whenever we make contact with the consignee I would most certainly follow that directive; however, I have to think that the folks who implemented driver release knew what they were doing and that the cost of the occasional claim would be more than offset by the money saved by delivering the package on the first attempt and in the most efficient manner possible.

Let's assume that you have 100 residential stops and since it is a holiday every single person is home. Let's further assume that it takes 5 seconds to hand the package to the customer and 30 seconds to obtain and clarify a signature. 25 seconds * 100 stops is 2,500 seconds, which works out to just over 41 minutes. (The 30 seconds may be on the high side but we tend to spend more time chatting while waiting for a signature as opposed to handing the package to the customer)

If your center team is directing you to obtain a signature if you make customer contact then by all means you should do so. I am glad that I work for a center team that uses common sense.

kingOFchester

Could it be that the folks at Integrad are having the trainees get a signature rather than DRing the package to give them more practice with the DIAD?

If I walk in tomorrow morning and the center manager directs that we are to obtain a signature whenever we make contact with the consignee I would most certainly follow that directive; however, I have to think that the folks who implemented driver release knew what they were doing and that the cost of the occasional claim would be more than offset by the money saved by delivering the package on the first attempt and in the most efficient manner possible.

Let's assume that you have 100 residential stops and since it is a holiday every single person is home. Let's further assume that it takes 5 seconds to hand the package to the customer and 30 seconds to obtain and clarify a signature. 25 seconds * 100 stops is 2,500 seconds, which works out to just over 41 minutes. (The 30 seconds may be on the high side but we tend to spend more time chatting while waiting for a signature as opposed to handing the package to the customer)

If your center team is directing you to obtain a signature if you make customer contact then by all means you should do so. I am glad that I work for a center team that uses common sense.

I would be surprised if they are instructing students to get a signature during an exercise that involves a customer meeting a driver at the delivery point in order to get practice at using the signature functions of the DIAD. Many other ways to get practice at obtaining a signature then using this exercise.