What would you do?

ryansox

There's a busy business on my route and I'm a fairly new driver. This place only has 2 docks for receiving but they always have a line of trucks (2+) waiting for the dock to open up. They are only open for receiving until 11:30am.

So today (and every other day), I'm either running behind or leaving the building late and get there and simply cannot wait 15-30 minutes in line for a dock to open up. I have other air stops after this stop. The normal driver says he usually doesn't have any problems with this place but I always seem to.

What would you do?

There's a busy business on my route and I'm a fairly new driver. This place only has 2 docks for receiving but they always have a line of trucks (2+) waiting for the dock to open up. They are only open for receiving until 11:30am.

So today (and every other day), I'm either running behind or leaving the building late and get there and simply cannot wait 15-30 minutes in line for a dock to open up. I have other air stops after this stop. The normal driver says he usually doesn't have any problems with this place but I always seem to.

What would you do?
Can you walk the air off? Then come back later and do the ground?

ryansox

Can you walk the air off? Then come back later and do the ground?

I tried that. I brought 2 packages into the office that were NDA's and said can you sign for these I need to get them off by 10:30. She said "Nope sorry, you have to wait for one of the docks to open up" which I respond "There's a line of trucks waiting to get in" and walked away. I ended up sheeting them as closed today.

I'm more concerned with running orion 90% and not being ridiculously over miles so no I don't come back.

I tried that. I brought 2 packages into the office that were NDA's and said can you sign for these I need to get them off by 10:30. She said "Nope sorry, you have to wait for one of the docks to open up" which I respond "There's a line of trucks waiting to get in" and walked away. I ended up sheeting them as closed today.

I'm more concerned with running orion 90% and not being ridiculously over miles so no I don't come back.
You may need to talk with your sup or mark them refused.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Businesses like these suck. Every truck waiting for the dock knows we are in a hurry, but it's not fair to cut in front of them too.
They have deadlines and bosses who watch them like a hawk as well.

Tell the supervisor and center manager that you can not wait a half hour for the dock and if they won't sign if you bring it inside, you will either NI1 or RTS the packages.
Unless we pickup there as well, most management would tell you to go ahead.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member

NR1

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Walk off the air B4 10:30. If they won't take then, sheet as REFUSED. Let your center team know. Then deliver air with ground at 11:25am.

clean hairy

Seems simple enough.
You attempted delivery, and they refused to accept the delivery.
I would ask them "Do you wish to sign and accept the delivery, or refuse it and have it sent back to the shipper?"
Or, just put "rts" as the entry, if questioned, state the facts that they in fact did refuse to sign when offered the package.

trickpony1

I haven't been in package cars since 1981 BUT.......
I would stand right there, in front of the customer, and get my cell phone out.
I would call my center manager and explain the situation and ask what center manager wants me to do.
This tends to get the customer's attention.

Fragile

I haven't been in package cars since 1981 BUT.......
I would stand right there, in front of the customer, and get my cell phone out.
I would call my center manager and explain the situation and ask what center manager wants me to do.
This tends to get the customer's attention.

Nah, then you look somewhat cowardly in front of your own customers.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Sheet as not ready. Attempt again with the ground BUT at that time I let them know point blank they sign or it gets sheeted as refused and sent back to shipper. If what you are saying is correct I promise you this is what the regular driver does, not ready deliver with ground. Use the GPS to your advantage!