What would you do?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I would rts in a heart beat. (Explain to your managers.) Especially after they wouldn't sign. After a few days of that. Their boss would want to know where their orders were. When they call ,they will find out why. The receiver at the dock is refusing to sign. So it gets sent back. It's all about training your customers. Too me it's just a box in my way

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would rts in a heart beat. (Explain to your managers.) Especially after they wouldn't sign. After a few days of that. Their boss would want to know where their orders were. When they call ,they will find out why. The receiver at the dock is refusing to sign. So it gets sent back. It's all about training your customers. Too me it's just a box in my way
+1

Either they want their packages, or they don't. I have other customers who are waiting for me, I'm not going to waste time getting jerked around. 2 options, sign for 'em or they get RTS'd. End of menu.

watdaflock?

Nice that the ops questions were completely answered by post #5 yet this thread made it to over #40 responses from people all saying the exact same thing.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I just love how some of these receivers think they are Lord Omnipotent of the World. I think they get their jollies by giving drivers a hard time. They don't seem to realize that if they work with us, we could be their best friend. Treat me right and I'll go above and beyond. Be a jerk and you get the bare minimum.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I just love how some of these receivers think they are Lord Omnipotent of the World. I think they get their jollies by giving drivers a hard time. They don't seem to realize that if they work with us, we could be their best friend. Treat me right and I'll go above and beyond. Be a jerk and you get the bare minimum.

Genius. But don't let it go to your head :-)

soberups

I make $33/hr, I think I'm going to go get in line. I'll call the boss and tell him that is what I'm doing, and he can tell me what to do.
The problem with that mentality is that you have other customers who are also "waiting in line" and they should not have to suffer unreasonable delays in getting their packages just because you happen to have a consignee who wont give you a signature in a reasonable amount of time.

PhatAzz

Have had this happen several times. These large volume customers know without a doubt when UPS will be delivering their stuff to them. Customers often state " I can set my watch......" If it's not important to the customer to have a dock open for deliveries, it's not important to me either. I have told customers this and explained that it is unacceptable for me to "MISS" other customer's deliveries having to wait on an open dock for them. I always ask them if it would be acceptable to them if I couldn't deliver their stuff today because I was waiting down the road at 8 other places for an open dock - Sorry, I just didn't have time to get to yours today. I ask them if that would be an acceptable answer. They always say "Nope, it's not acceptable." I say to them "But you expect me to do that to someone else for your deliveries?"
Record it Closed 1, Notify someone in authority at the dock and move on. Try if you can to come back but I wouldn't commit to it. Yeah, it's a PITA to carry the stuff around all day. I've even found the Feeder CPU drivers and recorded everything as I off loaded on to their empty pickup trailer.

soberups

Have had this happen several times. These large volume customers know without a doubt when UPS will be delivering their stuff to them. Customers often state " I can set my watch......" If it's not important to the customer to have a dock open for deliveries, it's not important to me either. I have told customers this and explained that it is unacceptable for me to "MISS" other customer's deliveries having to wait on an open dock for them. I always ask them if it would be acceptable to them if I couldn't deliver their stuff today because I was waiting down the road at 8 other places for an open dock - Sorry, I just didn't have time to get to yours today. I ask them if that would be an acceptable answer. They always say "Nope, it's not acceptable." I say to them "But you expect me to do that to someone else for your deliveries?"
Record it Closed 1, Notify someone in authority at the dock and move on. Try if you can to come back but I wouldn't commit to it. Yeah, it's a PITA to carry the stuff around all day. I've even found the Feeder CPU drivers and recorded everything as I off loaded on to their empty pickup trailer.

If they don't have an open dock then they need to allow us to use an alternate delivery point, even if it means using a handtruck.

If they refuse to allow us to use an alternate delivery point then they are refusing the delivery, period. I'm not going to record it Closed 1 (when they aren't actually closed) and then have twice as many pieces to deal with tomorrow. Not only is Closed 1 dishonest, but it means we are basically giving companies like this free storage space in our system and removing any incentive they might have for solving the underlying issue of inadequate/overcrowded receiving areas.

Cardboard carrier

I haven't been in package cars since 1981 BUT.......
I would stand right there, in front of the customer, and get my cell phone out.
I would call my center manager and explain the situation and ask what center manager wants me to do.
This tends to get the customer's attention.

What did that 1981 cell phone look like?

CharleyHustle

The problem with that mentality is that you have other customers who are also "waiting in line" and they should not have to suffer unreasonable delays in getting their packages just because you happen to have a consignee who wont give you a signature in a reasonable amount of time.

I see what you are saying, but if you record the pkgs as refused, well, they didn't really refuse them either as like when others record them as closed. Should their customers have to wait so you can take their place in line so "your" other customers don't have to wait? Now, maybe I'll leave and come back later if that is what my boss instructs me to do, and if its past the time when their receiving is closed, well then I think they are closed. I just don't think UPS has a monopoly on other peoples time, just because we are in a hurry be cause my boss thought it prudent to give me too much work to do.

soberups

I see what you are saying, but if you record the pkgs as refused, well, they didn't really refuse them either as like when others record them as closed. Should their customers have to wait so you can take their place in line so "your" other customers don't have to wait? Now, maybe I'll leave and come back later if that is what my boss instructs me to do, and if its past the time when their receiving is closed, well then I think they are closed. I just don't think UPS has a monopoly on other peoples time, just because we are in a hurry be cause my boss thought it prudent to give me too much work to do.

I will politely ask for a signature and wait a reasonable amount of time. If they refuse to sign then then they are refusing the delivery. Expecting a delivery person to stand in line with customers and wait in order to get a signature is not reasonable or fair to others on the route who are waiting for their deliveries.