What would you do???

Rain Shield

What would you do?? Myself and another driver are out of option days and we both call in sick on the same day. I get a warning letter and nothing happens to him! That isn't right at all , but having issues on what to do and how to grieve that. What would you do if you were in this boat of getting punished and not the other??

If you have option days it sounds like you are in the Southern. Otherwise known as option 3, which is part of your Holiday package. Some think it is part of your vacation package, but it is Holiday language.

Here is how we handle it. We go by number of occurrences. Lates and absenses are occurrences. 1 minute late equals the same as an absence. They are both occurrences. Maybe you have lates that the other driver does not.

In the Southern, option 3 allows the first seven absenses to be paid as well as your personal Holiday. The contract mentions some are for personal and some are for sick days. I do not remember which is which, because it does not matter. The key is you are paid for the first 7 absenses.

Here is the key to option 3. The company can not discipline for the 7 absenses if you have option 3. In addition, those 7 absenses can not be used for future discipline.

Bottom line is since you are paid for those 7 days they are counted as reports. You are paid, they are counted as reports for earned vacation, retirement, etc.

Option 3 days are not occurrences, so do not let them tell you they are.