What would you guys do? FRUSTRATED!!!!

HULKAMANIA

Sorry to hear about your losses and appreciate your honesty and opinions. I wont lie to you its been on my mind every single day just telling them to KMA and leave!

I was hired as an outsider after being a pt sup for 6 yrs, and 8 yrs total pt. I was offered a job, 70 miles away, ft driver, I took it. I drove 140+ miles a day for 4.5 yrs. I was "suppose" to get the wage I was getting, like ptimers do when the go full time, until the progression goes over their rate. Did not. I was making what equallled a driver rate of 20 per hr, for sup work, at 5 hrs a day. Never ever worked 5 usually 8 or more, my bad, I did it, was dumb. I took this job, they dropped my rate to new driver status and there was nothing I could do but quit. 9.19 ph, driving like I said 140 miles a day. On call at 8 and it took me 1 hr 10 minutes to get there. While a position opened in my center that I had left. I wrote a letter to my dm which was almost 20 yrs ago. My mother developed, rest her soul, lung cancer. I asked to be transferred back to that center since they were working me there every day, so I could be near her and check on her, Im still waiting on the answer, my Mom died, I moved to be closer to work, once she was gone, then my Dad got sick. All gone now, I have a job, in a town I know no one but customers. I make a lot of money and have no family here. Move on with your life at your first chance. UPS doesnt care about your life you are just a number. If I were 20 yrs younger I would leave but no one is left to go back to. So IMO, leave now. It is truly not worth it, UPS is not the only work out there, and most companies treat employees a whole lot better.

JonFrum

Apparently I ASKED 2 times specifically before I made the move and was told the same thing both times.
We know that. But in the two years you worked for UPS prior to making the move, you should have read the Contract. Verbal promises are not worth the the paper they're (not) written on.

No one is authorized to promise you anything that conflicts with the Contract.

If someone promises you a job, they may be assuming that Volume will pick up. They can't know the future. If Volume declines, their promise will probably not be kept.

I don't know the details of your situation, or the details of your Supplement, but if you have the time, it would be interesting to see a comparison of exactly what you were promised and exactly what your Contract says on the same subject.

jerry

Same happened to me. Good thing transfer was never finalized. So I got a break. Lost a month in pay but I managed to make it. Can't you transfer back.? (Educational transfer).

UPSGUY72

I moved over 300 miles for this driver position, I had around 2 years in with UPS as a preloader, air driver, seasonal and what have you. Before I get here I am told that when Im bumped I will be able to do preload and local sort. I get here and its a different story, you have no "inside seniority" so now you cant do that. So apparently my supervisors think all I can do is sit around on my thumbs and wait for them to call at anytime. The way they have it I cant go get side work at all. Nobody is going to hire me knowing that OH I will only be here the days that UPS doesnt decide to call me in. Then ontop of that I know many people will say to file unemployment "which I refuse to do" but they have been offering upper seniority drivers days off and all this does is get me in one day a week, so there goes that whole theory if you work a day you cant file unemployment. They have my hands tied every which way and Im sitting here going broke. Ive told them the situation and it just falls on deaf ears and Im sick of it. OH well it will pick up here for peak, YEAH for a month and then what???

On a side note Im sick of the offering Seniority drivers days off to "get you guys in" yeah on what Monday or Friday cause the same people keep wanting 3 day weekends. Which is fine I understand them wanting a 3 day weekend but dont freaking offer me a full time postion, promise me that I can do local sort and preload and then change it on me once I get here. I think its ridiculous that a seniority driver can have 6 month leave for "medical" reasons, then come back and that very week be wanting Friday and Mondays off EVERY single week. People may say well dont complain it gets you in a day, Im sorry but $100 dollars doesnt solve anything. Apparently Im suppose to "MAKE IT" by sitting around being on call and being a fill in boy for Monday or Friday. The more I write about this the more it just P----s me off!!!!!

Where did you work for UPS to start and where did you move to ??? Do both places fall under the same rider ?? If not what happen is that you basically quit one location and got hired it appears as a casual at the other not a cover driver.

You might want to call the HR person that hired you and find out what position you actually got hired for than get a copy of the local rider and see were you stand. Than iF you got hired as a FT cover driver show up to work and demand 8 hrs of work if they don't give it to you grieve it ? But from what your BA supposedly told you it sounds like you got hired as a casual not cover driver.

HULKAMANIA

Ok can you tell me the difference between a cover and a casual driver? If Im just a casual would the Union Rep tell me that I HAVE to stay available next to my phone up until the start time each day? Ive been told Im a COVER driver but then again what you get TOLD and whats REALITY is always worlds apart. You guys that said I needed to read the language and such you are right, I guess I was naive and BELIEVED what they was telling me to be the truth. But to my credit I was lied to by both a Manager and an On car sup! The manager that promised me this was moved to another center shortly before I arrived, but he is who hired me. After that another one came in and was the one that said I cant work inside since I have no seniority.

HULKAMANIA

From what I understand a Casual is hired for temporary work. I wasnt hired for temporary work. I just checked all my information and my job status is "Package Driver." If I was casual why would I have had to go through 5 day scratch and all that mess which I did. So UPS has Peak drivers, Casual drivers which to me seem to be the same thing just different times of the year, and FT drivers?

satellitedriver

Satellite with all due respect at 30 years old I didnt NEED a life lesson like this at all and I dont mean that in a smart way at all. I wasnt questioning your honesty or integrity either. I was simply stating that its ironic they want honesty from us but dont give it in return.
Also, with all due respect, how did you get to be the age of 30 and not have learned the basics of getting an agreement in writing, before making such a move?
I agree, you should not NEED a life lesson that you should have learned by the age of 18, but you got one.
Living a life of integrity and honesty is a double edged sword and I learned by the age of 14 to keep both edges sharp.
Best of Luck to you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

From what I understand a Casual is hired for temporary work. I wasnt hired for temporary work. I just checked all my information and my job status is "Package Driver." If I was casual why would I have had to go through 5 day scratch and all that mess which I did. So UPS has Peak drivers, Casual drivers which to me seem to be the same thing just different times of the year, and FT drivers?

Peak drivers are called seasonals.

Casuals drivers are drivers who are not FT and do not have their own route. They do not get the 8 hour guarantee.

Casuals are also called cover drivers in some parts of the country.

FT cover drivers are drivers who are FT but do not have their own route. They are guaranteed 8 hours and can bump in to the hub/center to get their hours.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Part time covers DO get the 8 hour guarantee when they are working as a casual.

Casuals is a term they are trying to do away with. Under the previous contract, if you 'went casual', you had a two day a week, 8 hour a day guarantee. Now, in this area, they are part time cover drivers. If they are scheduled for the road at least 2 days, they don't have to work inside. In my contract, the local rider covering this starts(I believe) on page 214.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do yourself a favor and re-read that contract language---it is talking about PT seniority employees who are filling is as PT cover drivers. This has nothing to do with casuals and is probably why they are allowed to get their hours working on the inside.

Thanks for playing--have a nice day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You really are clueless. It talks about this- When they are scheduled for 2 days a week on road, they don't have to work inside. As a former steward, I have used this language to get many warning letters dismissed. Now, if you are going to play with the big boys, you might want to put your big girl pants on.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Were you a steward in this district? Did you actually have to defend part time cover drivers who were written up No call no shows? Did you have meetings with that certain labor sup and Our BA on this issue? Have you met with the division labor manager? I have. On this issue. I know how the labor and union define a casual/part time cover.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Let me add this- Our BA and the certain teacher one hour south of me came to an agreement I opposed. A certain manager who agreed with me aided me in contacting the division labor manager. His first name starts with J. He agreed with my interpretation. All warning letters dismissed.

UPSGUY72

Casuals and PT cover drivers are not one in the same.

exactly Casual = off the street temp help. Not guaranteed any hours.
PT Cover = permanent PT UPS employees that get a chance to fill in (and get abused) when they are needed. Not guaranteed 8 hours.
FT Cover = permanent FT drivers that don't have a route by choice or lack of seniority. Guaranteed 8 a day.

menotyou

bella amicizia
exactly Casual = off the street temp help. Not guaranteed any hours.
PT Cover = permanent PT UPS employees that get a chance to fill in (and get abused) when they are needed. Not guaranteed 8 hours.
FT Cover = permanent FT drivers that don't have a route by choice or lack of seniority. Guaranteed 8 a day.
We don't hire casuals anymore. Do you have the same local rider as we do? Pg 214? NYS? As I told Upchuck, I was the one in the office dealing with labor and the union. I was the one who actually read the words and understood the meaning. I didn't have an agenda, as I was never a cover driver. Arent you the one who is so quick to point out how things vary from area to area?