What would you have done?

• Bring the error to her attention

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Remain silent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yesterday my son and I drove down to Albany to spend time with family. We went out to dinner (Macaroni Grill). There were 12 of us sitting at two adjacent tables with the same waitress. My son, daughter, son-in-law and I sat at the same table. The waitress brought us our check ($75) which we handed back to her with a credit card and some cash. When she came back we noticed that she had mistakenly ran our credit card for the check of the lady who was dining by herself at a nearby table ($15).

What would you have done? Would you have brought the error to her attention or would you have taken advantage of the situation and pocketed the $60 error?

We did the right thing----we brought the error to her attention, she reversed the original charge, ran the credit card for the right amount and thanked us profusely for our honesty. When we got in the car we talked about it. We knew that had we not said a word that the shortage would have come out of her check and that she could have potentially lost her job. My son said that not doing the right thing would have left him with a nagging feeling of uneasiness.

The one thing that puzzled us is that we were not offered anything by management in return for our honesty. A coupon for a free appetizer, a percentage off of the bill or a similar token of their appreciation would have been nice. The feeling that we did the right thing was reward enough.

moreluck

golden ticket member
A 'compensation' is not why you practice being honest.

Always be honest no matter what.......the waitress doesn't deserve to be shorted........and neither do you or the establishment.

Straighten things up, and be on your way. ("we were not offered anything by management in return for our honesty. ")

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Too much now in society there are those that are looking to "take advantage" of any situation. What ever happened to honesty? What ever happened to integrity? When you put money into a candy machine and you get 2 for the price of one. Do you think to leave the extra one? It is not yours. It was not paid for.
It is especially meaningful when there are young ones present to see what the choice you make is. The decision you make effects them for a life time.

balland chain

Too many people these days would not have done the right thing. If you have the waitress again she is sure to remember you and your honesty.. Bravo.

Bad Gas!

I have a son in the resterant service field..I can relate..Being dishonest in that situation is not an option..You set a good example for the rest of the crowd as well..Expect nothing, gain everything!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As I am a former waitress, I can tell you, your honesty saved her. We all make mistakes, and while some may view and wrongly so, that a 45 dollar gain to you, is a win, it would have been a major blow to her pay, not so much ours. You did the right thing, mgmt. never knew. Bless you. You will get your free appetizer many times back, for paying it forward.

S

serenity now

it's similar to a contract * consideration was given by both parties and the contract was satisfied * i don't see any reason for mgmt. to do anything extra * the waitress simply made a mistake ( most of us have ) and as tooner pointed out, the financial hammer would have come down hard on her * mgmt. would not be out anything * you did the right thing, some would have taken advantage * don't look for a reward when none is due *

however, you can be sure the waitress was grateful and she will remember if you should go there again

bluehdmc

Too much now in society there are those that are looking to "take advantage" of any situation. What ever happened to honesty? What ever happened to integrity? When you put money into a candy machine and you get 2 for the price of one. Do you think to leave the extra one? It is not yours. It was not paid for.
It is especially meaningful when there are young ones present to see what the choice you make is. The decision you make effects them for a life time.

If I get 2 candy bars out of a machine it makes up for when I paid and didn't get any candy bar and no refund.

No, actually management thinks all hourly employees are dishonest or allude there to....

Certainly seems that way don't it?

honesty carries it's own reward

True