what would you have said?

S

stumpy

money is not everything.......I'm having a hard time dealing with ups and going to work everyday....I have never called in sick or ask for days off as often as I am now.....I love working at UPS I strive everyday to keep and get more business for them.....but within the last few months my attitude has went down hill.....I dread walking into the bldg every day now.....it is like walking into hell.....I have a bid route but 3 if not 4 days out of the week it is torn apart and spread among other drivers even drivers that have less seniority then me and swing drivers....I get angry really angry and just start saying stuff I would never say outside UPS....that place makes me a devil....a person I am definitely not.....now I feel I am going crazy.....I need someone to talk to outside the company someone who really wants to listen and understand how I feel about my job.....I LOVE MY JOB.....I hate the atmosphere and the attitudes of both management and union employees ..... everybody is a back stabber and a liar....everybody is in it for themselves....management wants to play number games even when you do well they don't say anything positive to you they just give you more stops.....even to the point where a split is thrown on you that does'nt even make a rats ass sense sorry for the language.....it happens to me everyday......nothing changes .... I think they can't be that stupid ..... I really seriously think they don't care about the employees just work as directed and get it done under nine five or you will get a verbal warning if not a warning letter......I seriously thought management cared about each individual employee.....but reality slapped me in the face when one day ..... I need more room to vent my feelings.....oh well nobody cares anyway......

old levi's

blank space
UPS is always hiring. If you want to spend the next 5 - 7 years as a PT employee to get a chance at $27 an hour, knock yourself out. You might average $15 - $18 an hour over your career.

This is exactly what I tell them. However in my case it was 13 years of PT followed by 10 years of swing driving. You want some of that action? Didn't think so.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I tell people I make about 40 bucks a week... the rest goes to my wife, the house, the kids , etc etc

One guy thought about it and said "Wow, you get 40!"

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Had customer that worked at some internet place a few years back,bragged of all his education and how many jobs he had over the years.He was pissed I made more than him,told him I worked harder! One day this pipe smoking bow tied freak was down behind my car and said holy sh%$t you got to do that all by friday!!! no 7pm tonite, you can keep that he said!!!!!!

25yrvet

I deliver to a plant, the people that work there are always trying to convince themselves that they have a better job than me. I'll deliver to some of their homes after they've been off work for 3 hours. They'll say, "Workin' kinda late, huh" and kinda snicker. My reply is, "Yeah...overtime, 70 cents a minute" ---You can see the wheels churnin' then.

There's a real good lookin' postal worker at one of the PO's I deliver to. She's always hinting that she's glad that she's not a carrier anymore and how nice she has it with her federal holidays off. My reply this last time that really shut her up was, "I kinda like belonging to the 7/75 club". When she asked what that was I told her I got 7 weeks paid vacation and made 75 k last year. Her chin was still on the floor when I left.

Bad Gas!

I tell em I'm making around $50 an hour but don't feel overpayed...because of all the surguries I am gonna need during and after my UPS career!....If you want to get smart or just funny cut up with people..I say this job is a lot of hard work..something they don't know anything about....I had a old-man dock worker feed me than line at my delivery way back...he just cracked me up..because he knew how hard we worked for that $50 an hour..

Treegrower

People just want the $$, not the job.
Some people have ticked me off by saying, "Wished I made 27 an hour". My reply is, "You just want the money, not the job". Another statement I've used is, "You compare what I do in an hour to what you do in an hour--- YOU get paid more for what you accomplish in that time than I do".

We've been through soo many temp & probationary drivers in this center the past 2 years that I'm convinced that more than 95% of the people in this county could not do this job

You must not talk to mgt. very often. Don't you know that "they" are lined up miles deep to do my job for less money. Also as mgt. will tell you, that with PAS/EDD 'anyone" can do my job.

outta hours

I had a smart @ss the other day in this small office I deliver to. He said "when are you going to get a real job and start wearing long pants"? I said "when I get tired of making 80k a year I might think about it". He just looked back at me and said nothing. The silence was golden. This is in a small town and the guy's probably lucky to be making 20k a year. I used to just laugh it off or ignore it when dealing with people like that, but anymore I just fire back with the truth. That shuts them up every time. I know I am blessed to make what I do but I feel little sympathy for lowly paid under informed jerks like that. Who think that we are all dumb, uneducated,poorly paid slobs. Excuse me while I step down off of my soapbox.

Cementups

Box Monkey
LOL. I will have to remember that "7/75" club. That will shut them up.

Nice one.

When people say to me tuff like, "I heard you guys get paid $25/hour." I just look at them and say, ":censored2::censored2::censored2:, when did I get a cut in pay?!" Or when it's after 8 hours and some says something about me making $28 +/-/hr. I say, "No, I'm making $42/hour right now, but thanks for your concern," and just walk away. I knw well that they have that "holy :censored2:" face on and I have my snicker face on.:greedy:

Braveheart

I was making a pick-up in an office yesterday and the customer was on the computer. While I'm scanning the end of day and getting ready to go out the door he yells, "look at this, you can make $27 per hour at UPS and don't need a college degree", then he asks "you don't make that much, do you?". At that point, everyone in the office turns their head to wait for my reply. I just told him that was inaccurate, I felt real uncomfortable. In hindsight I should have said "that must be an old article, we're up to $28 and change!" He was reading an article on yahoo.com about top paying jobs. What would you have said, or have you ever been asked point blank what you make and what do you say?
I just tell them if you do not mind working in a warehouse with no A/C for 5-8 years part time for a starting pay of $8 an hour at 17-20 hours a week like we all did then maybe you can too.

I tell them how most of all started doing manual labor for all those years working nights AFTER my day job I finally got on for like $13-14 an hour. Then I tell them that was like 10 years ago, so after 15-20 years of hard work, manual labor I think I have earned it!!!

I also point out that the UNION got us the good pay too.

I also point out that Fed Ex, USPS, and Freight all make between $15 to $28 an hour as well.

Then I mention that should only the smart college people make a good living? What about us, the truckers, roofers, plumbers, masons, carpenters, etc etc. We all have skills too. So we do not build anything, we deliver what everybody needs.

We are professional drivers with people skills too. Well most of us.

Remind them how they work in the A/C and we do not as the trucks DO NOT HAVE A/C!!!!!!! Remind them what it is like to lift hundreds of boxes per day climbing in and out of the truck all day and that we do deliveries and pick ups, collect c.o.d.'s, handle hazordous packages, hi-values, narcotics all while working in the rain, snow, sleet, 95 degree heat, humidity, tropical storms and even on days when a hurricane was hitting because UPS was more important than us boarding up our homes. Sure they let us go just in time to get home but no time for preperation.

Remind them driving in traffic sucks and we do it all day long!! Ask them if they like getting chased and bitten by pit bulls then UPS is their kind of job.

Also remind them of the dozens of injuries you have had, pinched nerves, pulled muscles, torn muscles, sprained ankles and knees, cuts, lumps, bumps, bruises, dog bites, illnesses from customers, etc etc

Then I remind them about all my buddies knee, ankle, wrist, back, neck, elbow, shoulder, hernia, and hip surgeries too!!!!! I tell them about how many have had to quit playing softball and some even golf. I also tell them about all the drivers who are now permanently disabled due to this great job.

Then I tell them we are always looking for part timers for $8.50 an hour go to UPS.com.