what would you have said?

helenofcalifornia

Bottom line, I don't think many people could do this job if they walked in off the street. You really do need that "hazing" period of years of part time work to build you up for the long haul of driving.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helen, I was hired off the street but do agree that I probably would have benefited from having started in the hub. I think that my 8 years in the military were extremely helpful as far as being organized, paying attention to detail and possessing a sense of urgency. I think that most young people today would be hard pressed to be able to make it as a driver w/o having first worked in the hub as the work ethic is just not there.

helenofcalifornia

You know what, it just dawned on me that it is probably female UPSers that need time in the UPS part time jobs to cut it for full time driving. (That was a real light bulb moment for me) You guys got all that testosterone to help out. It doesn't hurt for guys to work part time for awhile so they develop the UPS attitude and "sense of urgency" that is required.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whenever I have a customer who wants to trade places with me, I hand him/her the keys, show him which one starts the pkg car and which one opens the door, hand the DIAD, show him/her what his next stop is, hand him cell and wish him luck. That usually shuts them up.

rod

Retired 22 years
Whenever I have a customer who wants to trade places with me, I hand him/her the keys, show him which one starts the pkg car and which one opens the door, hand the DIAD, show him/her what his next stop is, hand him cell and wish him luck. That usually shuts them up.

Half the dirtballs on my old route would of grabbed the keys and if nothing else went for a joy ride.:happy2: I once had a guy piss on my tire --"after all" he said "dogs do it"

A

anonymous6

I tell people I make about 40 bucks a week... the rest goes to my wife, the house, the kids , etc etc

One guy thought about it and said "Wow, you get 40!"
:wink2:

I say " I don't know what I make. The ex takes half and the current Mrs. gets the other half."

and that's almost true.:wink2:

L

lurker

I tell them I wish I had the luxury to check my email and play solitare for 2 hours everyday, but still be home by 5:00

feeder53

ADKtrails
I would just tell them I have a nice benefits package and have a great day. I am confident in myself and do not need to boost their ego or whatever.

stringerman85

I think most people already have an idea that we make "good money" Somebody always knows somebody who knows somebody that works or worked at UPS and has the idea of what we make.....I always just say, "They pay me well"

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I was making a pick-up in an office yesterday and the customer was on the computer. While I'm scanning the end of day and getting ready to go out the door he yells, "look at this, you can make $27 per hour at UPS and don't need a college degree", then he asks "you don't make that much, do you?". At that point, everyone in the office turns their head to wait for my reply. I just told him that was inaccurate, I felt real uncomfortable. In hindsight I should have said "that must be an old article, we're up to $28 and change!" He was reading an article on yahoo.com about top paying jobs. What would you have said, or have you ever been asked point blank what you make and what do you say?

You should never be embarresed to tell them that we make more money than most managers at crap little offices and always rub in the fact we dont need a college degree. I usualy throw in the fact I didnt complete High scool and have a criminal record also.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
You should never be embarresed to tell them that we make more money than most managers at crap little offices and always rub in the fact we dont need a college degree. I usualy throw in the fact I didnt complete High scool and have a criminal record also.

Just kidding about the criminal record lol

I have never been in this situation, but if it ever occurs, this would be my ideal scenario if I could get away with it:

Them: "How much do you make an hour?"

Me: "What color panties did your wife have on this morning when she got dressed?"

Them: "Umm...that's none of your business!"

Me: "Exactly."