What would you tell them?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity

If I told them I just wanna go back to preload, could they take away driving from me altogether? Simply because I won't be their little dancing puppet anymore?
Check with your steward or Teamster Business Agent. If you ask the company to put you back on Preload, they might consider it a 'self-disqualification'; and freeze you out of driving for 2 years.

Brown150

I was also told to call in every day, or wait to be called at 6:30. I am a friend/T driver with seniority (low man though) I asked HR about that guaranteed 8 hours I keep hearing about, but she said it depends on volume. Why is there so many different answers???

fres431

Cuz they all bsing you. Brown up go in I'm sure some higher seniority would wanna go home. If they ask ya tell call in every day ask for a steward no steward ask to have it in writing with their signature. Y'all to soft

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I was also told to call in every day, or wait to be called at 6:30. I am a friend/T driver with seniority (low man though) I asked HR about that guaranteed 8 hours I keep hearing about, but she said it depends on volume. Why is there so many different answers???
Screenshot_2015-01-06-11-47-12.png

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If your fulltime they have to give you your guaranteed 8 hours. If they don't grab your steward and file a grievance, its that easy.
No they don't. He is laid off with the possibility of being able to work here and there. Just because you have seniority does not mean that you are guaranteed 8 hours.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
There is only one answer. You get different answers because some people do not know the contract.

Here is your 8 hour guarantee...

If you are put to work, you have a guarantee to work 8 hours. That is it.

If you are low man on the totem pole, you do not have an 8 hour guarantee of work. You can be laid off during low volume periods or when not needed. You are entitled to unemployment for any weeks that you do not work.

Brown150

There is only one answer. You get different answers because some people do not know the contract.

Here is your 8 hour guarantee...

If you are put to work, you have a guarantee to work 8 hours. That is it.

If you are low man on the totem pole, you do not have an 8 hour guarantee of work. You can be laid off during low volume periods or when not needed. You are entitled to unemployment for any weeks that you do not work.
Thanks for the clarification. So from what I understand your telling me if they tell me to come in and it's only for 4 hours I should get paid for 8. And if I don't work for one full week I can collect unemploment? Again thank you.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification. So from what I understand your telling me if they tell me to come in and it's only for 4 hours I should get paid for 8. And if I don't work for one full week I can collect unemploment? Again thank you.

The waiting period for unemployment benefits is determined by the laws in your state.

box_beeyotch

I'm confused. Are you a TCD or a full time bid cover driver? If your not a temp, you are guaranteed 8 a day. If you dont get it, file file file.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm confused. Are you a TCD or a full time bid cover driver? If your not a temp, you are guaranteed 8 a day. If you dont get it, file file file.
Let's do this again. Show me where in the contract this is at. UPS can layoff seniority drivers, preloaders, unloaders etc when there is not enough volume. You are NOT guaranteed to work just because you have seniority.

In most areas, being on call is the same as being laid off. Now here is where it gets tricky.

You are entitled to unemployment if you do not work anytime during the week. If you are on call/laid off and UPS calls you and asks you to come in and work, and you elect not to, your unemployment for the week can and will be denied.

If you elect to come in, you then have a guarantee of 8 hours of work.

PT Car Washer

Let's do this again. Show me where in the contract this is at. UPS can layoff seniority drivers, preloaders, unloaders etc when there is not enough volume. You are NOT guaranteed to work just because you have seniority.

In most areas, being on call is the same as being laid off. Now here is where it gets tricky.

You are entitled to unemployment if you do not work anytime during the week. If you are on call/laid off and UPS calls you and asks you to come in and work, and you elect not to, your unemployment for the week can and will be denied.

If you elect to come in, you then have a guarantee of 8 hours of work.
And if there is not 8 hours of work (really 10 hrs) you will not be called in and UPS will use someone else to get the work done.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It's a pain in the ass but that's how it is here. That's why the younger you are when you start the better. You'll probably be driving every day again by the end of May. Give it two years or so and you'll likely be driving all the time anyway, despite still being considered a cover driver. Waiting is the name of the game here, but at least you know your patience will be rewarded.

PT Car Washer

It's a pain in the ass but that's how it is here. That's why the younger you are when you start the better. You'll probably be driving every day again by the end of May. Give it two years or so and you'll likely be driving all the time anyway, despite still being considered a cover driver. Waiting is the name of the game here, but at least you know your patience will be rewarded.
And come summer you will not be able to buy a day off as low seniority cover driver. Enjoy your time off now and I hope you remembered to save those Peak season paychecks.

Z

ZQXC

Never did the cover driving routine. Worked preload and then a full job during the day (for 12 years ). Yes it sux, but steady money coming in until you get an opportunity to go full time.

Future

Victory Ride
Last week I only drove/ worked Tuesday & Wednesday..Just gotta tell them to put me back on preload. I only have 1 1/2 years PT seniority, but I'm still ahead of about 5 preloaders in my center. Seems like the waiting process will never end. I just want to work, & work consistently.

Sent using BrownCafe App
not exactly sure how they do it....but have a few young guys in the same boat as you.....if they dont work 3 days driving they file unemployment and collect ......so some work 1-2 a week and supplement income with unemployment......also i found 1 of them a job(off the books) so when they not workin UPS can go 2 other job....(yes I know kinda hard to find that off the books job) but he does pretty well 4 himself with the 3 incomes!