What you need to know about a potential UPS strike

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
What you need to know about a potential UPS strike - Press Enterprise

The union votes to authorize a strike, but no action is likely before the holidays

Aircraft maintenance workers at United Parcel Service have voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike, a move that could wreak havoc with shipments.

Employees of Teamsters Local 2727 announced Monday that they voted to authorize the action after three years of negotiations, during which UPS has continued to demand health care concessions and a major increase in retiree employment costs.

A strike would likely not happen during the holidays, when the company is expected to ship some 700 million packages, as labor negotiations would probably still be ongoing.

over9five

Staff member
"no action is likely...."
"would likely not happen..."
"negotiations would probably still be ongoing..."

Well, that should fill our customers with confidence!

twoweeled

I feel bad for these guys. They have no leverage! None.
Why take a strike authorization vote? I think they know they are getting played. This strike authorization vote was probably more a message to the Union, than to the company? Unfortunately, because we as brothers don't back each other anymore. They have no power with the IBT. We're spiraling down. Today it's them, yesterday it was the retirees. Tomorrow it'll be you!
Little at a time.

rod

Retired 22 years
Even if a full blown strike "probably" won't happen the cat is out of the bag as far as customer relations go. As far as they are concerned "UPS is going on strike". Now the only way to quickly do damage control is for the company to get this contract settled NOW. My hats off the Union for going this route and putting the pressure on big time.

twoweeled

Even if a full blown strike "probably" won't happen the cat is out of the bag as far as customer relations go. As far as they are concerned "UPS is going on strike". Now the only way to quickly do damage control is for the company to get this contract settled NOW. My hats off the Union for going this route and putting the pressure on big time.
I'm fairly positive, the union made a statement almost a month ago that peak operations would not be affected. I understand the company making this statement, but why the Union? Took the threat out of this strike authorization vote. I wish I could find the article. Maybe a month old. Maybe WSJ?
Just doesn't make sense to take a authorization vote so late in the year. This has been going on for years. This sounds like a poor type of "strategery" to me!
I see no pressure whatsoever on the company. Union saying there won't be a strike. What threat?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'm fairly positive, the union made a statement almost a month ago that peak operations would not be affected. I understand the company making this statement, but why the Union? Took the threat out of this strike authorization vote. I wish I could find the article. Maybe a month old. Maybe WSJ?
Just doesn't make sense to take a authorization vote so late in the year. This has been going on for years. This sounds like a poor type of "strategery" to me!
I see no pressure whatsoever on the company. Union saying there won't be a strike. What threat?
The president appoints the board members that approve or deny a strike. I think the union's timing is appropriate.

twoweeled

The president appoints the board members that approve or deny a strike. I think the union's timing is appropriate.
The soonest a strike could actually take place is early next year. The worse time for the company is the end of this year.
How do you figure the slowest time, is the best time to strike?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The soonest a strike could actually take place is early next year. The worse time for the company is the end of this year.
How do you figure the slowest time, is the best time to strike?
The man filling seats at the Department of Labor is J. Steven Hart, a high-profile Washington lobbyist who previously worked in the Reagan administration. An Oklahoma native with ties to former Rep. Tom DeLay, Stevens has lobbied for Coca-Cola and Pfizer. “Hart is the man corporations call when they’re having trouble with labor unions,” according to Washingtonian magazine. Trump clashed with labor unions as a businessman, and he may attempt to roll back some of gains working people made under Obama, such as a lower income threshold for receiving overtime.
Donald Trump’s transition team is assembling like a super-lobbyist Voltron

twoweeled

The man filling seats at the Department of Labor is J. Steven Hart, a high-profile Washington lobbyist who previously worked in the Reagan administration. An Oklahoma native with ties to former Rep. Tom DeLay, Stevens has lobbied for Coca-Cola and Pfizer. “Hart is the man corporations call when they’re having trouble with labor unions,” according to Washingtonian magazine. Trump clashed with labor unions as a businessman, and he may attempt to roll back some of gains working people made under Obama, such as a lower income threshold for receiving overtime.
Donald Trump’s transition team is assembling like a super-lobbyist Voltron
You stated "I think the union's timing is appropriate."
I'm asking you again. why do you feel a strike threat during the slowest time of the year is appropriate?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You stated "I think the union's timing is appropriate."
I'm asking you again. why do you feel a strike threat during the slowest time of the year is appropriate?
“No one wants to strike, but UPS is refusing to work with us,” Boyle said. “If there’s no movement by the end of the week we’ll ask the mediator to release us and then there will be a 30-day cooling-off period. During that time both parties will try to reach an agreement.”
(ending December 18th)
"If there still is no agreement after that, Boyle said, the dispute would go to a Presidential Emergency Board for review for another 30 days."
(ending January 18th)

Guess what happens January 20th.....

By The Book

At least they started the process of a strike. If still negotiating this time next year the strike would be at the worst time for UPS. This should get things moving along in the negotiations for both sides, and could lead to mediation.

twoweeled

You still haven't explained why you think a potential strike, or strike threat in Jan or Feb (slowest time for UPS) is appropriate, rather than strike threat at UPS's heaviest time? I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why this is the appropriate time?

twoweeled

“No one wants to strike, but UPS is refusing to work with us,” Boyle said. “If there’s no movement by the end of the week we’ll ask the mediator to release us and then there will be a 30-day cooling-off period. During that time both parties will try to reach an agreement.”
(ending December 18th)
"If there still is no agreement after that, Boyle said, the dispute would go to a Presidential Emergency Board for review for another 30 days."
(ending January 18th)

Guess what happens January 20th.....

January 20th!
You still haven't explained why you think a potential strike, or strike threat in Jan or Feb (slowest time for UPS) is appropriate, rather than strike threat at UPS's heaviest time? I'm still waiting for your explanation as to why this is the appropriate time?

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
January 20th!
What are you suggesting, they get in their time machine and go back to before Trump won the election?

By The Book

If your asking why didn't the Union start this process 3 months ago, I don't know. Now that it was started you have to let things work their way through the process. Would it of been more effective to take a strike vote not long after the contract expiration date, probably. I think 3 years is way too long of a grace period.

twoweeled

What are you suggesting, they get in their time machine and go back to before Trump won the election?
Nope! Just a simple planning ahead, mindset. Our leaders had to have been aware of the 30 day cooling off period. there is going to be additional last minute discussions to show good faith. Is all this a big surprise to our Union? The Union has had almost 2-3 years to plan this. And the best they can do, is to strike in Jan or Feb??? Really? No time machine needed. Just a minimum amount of common sense.
If these guys had been planning our moves during WW2, We'd all be speaking German!!

twoweeled

If your asking why didn't the Union start this process 3 months ago, I don't know. Now that it was started you have to let things work their way through the process. Would it of been more effective to take a strike vote not long after the contract expiration date, probably. I think 3 years is way too long of a grace period.
You hit it on the head. That's exactly what I'm asking. I think most of us know, this type of planning isn't accidental. It sure wasn't to our benefit either.
Sure! Now we just have to let the process work itself out, , , , again!
Yes, I think we had a span of almost 3 years. we could have started this 3-4 months earlier. And taken into context of 3 years - that isn't a rush job.
This was either not an accident, or our leaders are as intelligent as a brick!

twoweeled

Spin Master! LOL
laughing.gif