Whats FedEx up to?

FedExer267

So I stroll into work today ready to go only to walk by the Contractors sitting there really upset about something. My contractor basically said to me they are making it harder for us to run a business. Thats all I got out of him but it seems something is upsetting them. The only question I have do we need to worry about our jobs? Anybody have any clue to what is happening?

northeast swing driver

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I have been following it for a couple years but decided to sign up today so i can share some of my thoughts. I don't know how other express drivers feel but i can't stand ground drivers. And the majority of drivers in my station feel the same way. You do nothing but take food off my table and provide crap service. I could tell a million stories about customers complaining to me about the shoddy service they receive from ground. I would love nothing more than to see this union thing happen and ground be shut down. I will be a daily poster from now on and look forward to sharing my thoughts with the rest of the forum participants.

FedExer267

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. I have been following it for a couple years but decided to sign up today so i can share some of my thoughts. I don't know how other express drivers feel but i can't stand ground drivers. And the majority of drivers in my station feel the same way. You do nothing but take food off my table and provide crap service. I could tell a million stories about customers complaining to me about the shoddy service they receive from ground. I would love nothing more than to see this union thing happen and ground be shut down. I will be a daily poster from now on and look forward to sharing my thoughts with the rest of the forum participants.
Welcome to the forum. That being said you are definatly free to feel how you want to about anybody and yes there are some ground drivers that do a bad job and have complaints a mile long. However you dont know me and I dont know you my service is anything but shoddy. I was actually almost hired by Express then they decided on the hiring freeze I am not at ground because I want to be more like its some sort of pay to feed my family. I understand how you feel completely but you cant always judge a book by its cover.
You look at it as if we are taking money off your table but you know as well as I that is not the case, If ground didn't exsisit there would still be RPS which is where those packages would be if not at UPS. People that ship Ground frieght do so because its cheaper than Express. So if Ground was to go away tomorrow all the ground freight would more than likely go to UPS because it would be cheaper than shipping with Express.
I came from UPS and then moved out of the area a 2 hour commute didn't seem benefical to me as I have a family so I quit and went into construction things were great until the economy tanked so like I said I am only at Ground because of the hiring freeze at Express. My customers get UPS quality service from me because I was trained by the best.
I do think however there are too many entities of FedEX it would be alot better place to work if they did away with Express, Ground and Home Delivery and were simply known as FedEx and every driver like UPS delivered both air and ground. That will never happen though because if it did they could not classify you guys under the RLA anymore and it would open the door for the union. That being said I do believe it would be a good thing if FedEx went that direction but that will never happen as long as the dictator Fred S is still around.

bbsam

Staff member
So I stroll into work today ready to go only to walk by the Contractors sitting there really upset about something. My contractor basically said to me they are making it harder for us to run a business. Thats all I got out of him but it seems something is upsetting them. The only question I have do we need to worry about our jobs? Anybody have any clue to what is happening?
Yes, I do have a clue to what is happening. And yes, we do need to worry about our jobs. Bottom line is that the company wants a sharp reduction in complaints and accidents and a much more professional and safe driver at the wheel. Far more stringent rules to remain an eligible driver. Pain in the ass for contractors but, as has been alluded to here over and over, Ground has a ways to go to bring up it's image. So if you are serious about being a contractor, now is the perfet time to look to buy from a multi-route owner looking to downsize.

D

Dis-organized Labor

They're probably bummed because they can't get a job at UPS. If not that, then maybe it's because the backgrounds on the UPS threads are much more attractive than the backgrounds on the FDX threads. I dunno', just a guess

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Yes, I do have a clue to what is happening. And yes, we do need to worry about our jobs. Bottom line is that the company wants a sharp reduction in complaints and accidents and a much more professional and safe driver at the wheel. Far more stringent rules to remain an eligible driver. Pain in the ass for contractors but, as has been alluded to here over and over, Ground has a ways to go to bring up it's image. So if you are serious about being a contractor, now is the perfet time to look to buy from a multi-route owner looking to downsize.

This might explain the unusual number of vehicles for sale we talked about recently. It looks like the difference between the "professionals" at Express and UPS and the wannabees at Ground is finally hitting the fan. And that isn't meant with any disrespect for Ground....it's just a fact. For example, I know a whole bunch of couriers and RTD's at FedEx that are 20-25 year Safe Drivers, and I also know a few "Circle of Honor" drivers over at Brown. I'm sure they've got a pile of 20+ year people too.

How are Ground contractors going to attract "professionals" at the pay level offered? And how are contractors going to provide enhanced training without increasing their cost structure? FedEx, the corporation can't do it because then they'd be training "employees". Better take that down payment for the Camaro and head to the Kia dealer.

FedExer267

So what your saying is FedEX is shooting themselves in the foot yet again. I would believe this move would worry any contractor first of all if they are trying to sweep the crap out the door, For a more professional minded person they are in for a suprise. Most professional minded drivers want a competitive wage, OT, vacation and benefits which is not provided under the model they are running now. The only way this would work is if the pay structure was set up like Express/UPS. They have professional minded employees because lets face it they are employees of that business. FedEx cant believe they will get those kind of people wanting to work for ground because as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
So what happens when drivers start falling off left and right and the contractor cant service his routes because he will not be able to run them all himself. Do you lose your contract for failure to service?
I do not know Bbsam I would be worried, I seriously starting looking into it but this has steered me away. If FEDEX wants it ran their way then how much control do you really have over your own business with out them waiving your contract infront of your face? It just seems they are up to something.

FedExer267

This might explain the unusual number of vehicles for sale we talked about recently. It looks like the difference between the "professionals" at Express and UPS and the wannabees at Ground is finally hitting the fan. And that isn't meant with any disrespect for Ground....it's just a fact. For example, I know a whole bunch of couriers and RTD's at FedEx that are 20-25 year Safe Drivers, and I also know a few "Circle of Honor" drivers over at Brown. I'm sure they've got a pile of 20+ year people too.

How are Ground contractors going to attract "professionals" at the pay level offered? And how are contractors going to provide enhanced training without increasing their cost structure? FedEx, the corporation can't do it because then they'd be training "employees". Better take that down payment for the Camaro and head to the Kia dealer.
Thats a good point MR FEDEX I do not see it happening. It sure seems funny that Contractors are their own business owners but their day to day operations are ran how FEDEX wants and if not your contract is in jepordy.
The more and more I go to work everyday it becomes clearer and clearer FEDEX wants the business but pay none of the costs. The must save millions a year in not having to pay unemployment insurance, a livable wage, OT, and some sort of benefits not to mention the money the save not having to maintain the trucks and fuel them up. It seems to me that the contractor model exsists so they have somewhere to shift blame when things are bad however when they are good they will take all the credit. Makes me want to run out and buy a couple routes so I can be more in debt just to have my contract pulled because I cant find a professional minded driver. Just my thoughts

bbsam

Staff member

This information only came down on Tuesday so it can't be the reason of the vehicles for sale. And I agree that it's time Ground cleaned up it's act. In the past I have admitted to the problems that Ground has and stated that I didn't think they were unmanageable. Now we will find out.

I'll be the first to admit that I was lax with my drivers. That is about to end. Too much money on the line to let it go anymore. Roughly 10-$15,000 over last years money. How shall I do that? Much of it is little stuff. Vehicle ride-alongs, Safety meetings, driver release audits. Then there are the big things. Dealing with accidents. I don't have the details in front of me, but should a driver become ineligible for 3-6 months, he won't be back to work for me before taking a commercial driving course (roughly $750). I'm still putting together the details, but most of the conduct issues are simple back to basics things. Don't driver release to businesses, obtain good signatures, use proper driver release procedures. When I've talked to my drivers in the past it's the stuff I've called the stupid stuff. As in "How can you go out there, run 145 stops,350 packages, be done in 8 hours and kill me with the stupid stuff?" The stupid stuff is the simple, well known, been doing it for years stuff that doesn't get done out of sheer laziness.

I've seen quite a few nervous contractors. I'm excited. I can do this.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black as the Prince of Evil himself. Nothing but the best.

bbsam

Staff member
So what your saying is FedEX is shooting themselves in the foot yet again. I would believe this move would worry any contractor first of all if they are trying to sweep the crap out the door, For a more professional minded person they are in for a suprise. Most professional minded drivers want a competitive wage, OT, vacation and benefits which is not provided under the model they are running now. The only way this would work is if the pay structure was set up like Express/UPS. They have professional minded employees because lets face it they are employees of that business. FedEx cant believe they will get those kind of people wanting to work for ground because as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.
So what happens when drivers start falling off left and right and the contractor cant service his routes because he will not be able to run them all himself. Do you lose your contract for failure to service?
I do not know Bbsam I would be worried, I seriously starting looking into it but this has steered me away. If FEDEX wants it ran their way then how much control do you really have over your own business with out them waiving your contract infront of your face? It just seems they are up to something.
Paralyzed by fear? Sad to hear it. The issues that I see are not difficult to fix. They may require that one or more drivers be let go. In fact if I could find just a little more darkness in my soul, I'd fire one on the morning I have my driver's meeting just to make sure I have their attention. I don't know about other contractors, but I feel like I have a core of 4 drivers, 2 I could hire back off the street, and the other two route could be covered by the seven of us while training 2 more. Sounds crazy, but I've actually had a similar occurrence happen in the past. As far as losing a contract, possible but not likely. The contract puts 2 items in play. 1) Inelligibility of 2 drivers within a year (by accidents or complaints). and 2) Lack of driver training program by contractor. Both of these would have to occur. I will have #2 in place by the end of the month.

So will there be a mass exodus of drivers when I lay down the fact that they need to have their heads in the game and be professional? If so, then it's for the best. We have a lot of qualified drivers from peak waiting for their shot. One way or another, these issues will be dealt with. Fear? No. In fact, I feel more and more confident in my abilities to turn this around the more I think about it. Did I mention there's a crap-load of money motivating me as well? Pardon me while I go salivate.:happy2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is a kind of a segway but I will still mention it here. I have a Ground driver who has part of the same route that I do and this guy leaves a delivery notice with every single residential delivery that he makes. He will leave the pkg by the door and then fill out and place a delivery notice on the same door just above the pkg. I shake my head and laugh whenever I see this--are you guys trained to do this? I can see doing this if you DR in a location where the pkg cannot be easily seen but to place a note on a door with the pkg sitting directly below the notice just seems to be a waste of time and effort.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This information only came down on Tuesday so it can't be the reason of the vehicles for sale. And I agree that it's time Ground cleaned up it's act. In the past I have admitted to the problems that Ground has and stated that I didn't think they were unmanageable. Now we will find out.

I'll be the first to admit that I was lax with my drivers. That is about to end. Too much money on the line to let it go anymore. Roughly 10-$15,000 over last years money. How shall I do that? Much of it is little stuff. Vehicle ride-alongs, Safety meetings, driver release audits. Then there are the big things. Dealing with accidents. I don't have the details in front of me, but should a driver become ineligible for 3-6 months, he won't be back to work for me before taking a commercial driving course (roughly $750). I'm still putting together the details, but most of the conduct issues are simple back to basics things. Don't driver release to businesses, obtain good signatures, use proper driver release procedures. When I've talked to my drivers in the past it's the stuff I've called the stupid stuff. As in "How can you go out there, run 145 stops,350 packages, be done in 8 hours and kill me with the stupid stuff?" The stupid stuff is the simple, well known, been doing it for years stuff that doesn't get done out of sheer laziness.

I've seen quite a few nervous contractors. I'm excited. I can do this.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black as the Prince of Evil himself. Nothing but the best.

OK, here we go with another round of "Employee or Contractor" starring Wink Martindale. FedEx, the corporation, is (once again) telling you "independent" contractors how to manage "non-employees". As some else astutely pointed-out, FedEx is shooting itself in the foot because (once again) they are exerting a degree of control that indicates you are employees after all.
Why does the corporation care if you've got an unprofessional driver who just emigrated from Nowheristan....isn't that your problem? If they're out of the picture as far as control goes, who cares as long as you've got a warm body in the driver's seat willing to work for $12.00 per hour? I certainly hope that some of the people suing FedEx over the Ground issues get wind of this and use it to their advantage in court. An incredibly stupid move by FedEx.

bbsam

Staff member
This is a kind of a segway but I will still mention it here. I have a Ground driver who has part of the same route that I do and this guy leaves a delivery notice with every single residential delivery that he makes. He will leave the pkg by the door and then fill out and place a delivery notice on the same door just above the pkg. I shake my head and laugh whenever I see this--are you guys trained to do this? I can see doing this if you DR in a location where the pkg cannot be easily seen but to place a note on a door with the pkg sitting directly below the notice just seems to be a waste of time and effort.
It is a waste and yes we do it. Why do we do it? Because before we were leaving virtually none. Therefore, we now leave them at every residential delivery. Strange thing is, both claims and complaints having to do with not finding a delivery or finding it days later dropped dramatically. I think it has someting to do with drawing the homeowners attention to look at the front door in instances when they drive into the garage. Silly, but effective.

The Mayor

You have heard what I have been hearing as well. We at Express are under much more of a tighter guidelines because we are the parent company and rules, procedures, and regulations that effect us, don't effect you guys. Well, from what I hear, that is going to change soon. For example, Ground service will be offering same day pickups with a new dispatching system for one, as well as, tighter scrutiny and "control" over its "employees". If I hear of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You have heard what I have been hearing as well. We at Express are under much more of a tighter guidelines because we are the parent company and rules, procedures, and regulations that effect us, don't effect you guys. Well, from what I hear, that is going to change soon. For example, Ground service will be offering same day pickups with a new dispatching system for one, as well as, tighter scrutiny and "control" over its "employees". If I hear of anything else, I'll be sure to let you know..

Gee, even more evidence that FedEx thinks of it's Ground people as "employees". Imagine that. Uncle Fred must be pretty confident of something if he's willing to blatantly exert even more control over people who don't even work for FedEx. Hmmmm.

FedExer267

Gee, even more evidence that FedEx thinks of it's Ground people as "employees". Imagine that. Uncle Fred must be pretty confident of something if he's willing to blatantly exert even more control over people who don't even work for FedEx. Hmmmm.
Well if old Uncle Fred is going to treat us like employees he better start paying us like employees. Ive said it before you cant really expect the average joe to go out and bust his butt for a non competitive salary with no OT. There are a few that work hard but are just buying time til something better comes along. For a company to say you run your own business to save hundreds of millions a year but expect you to run your company their way how much control do you have. Now there is a rumor floating around the Ground and Home Delivery are going to merge this year as well. Is that more work same pay or more work more pay. If FEDEX wants more quality people at Ground they need to change their pay structure because quality professional drivers will not work to long if at all under the current pay structure. I can honestly tell you that once this new addendum goes into affect to keep down complaints and get the guys off the road that should not be driving in the first place half of our terminal will be gone.

northeast swing driver

Well if old Uncle Fred is going to treat us like employees he better start paying us like employees. Ive said it before you cant really expect the average joe to go out and bust his butt for a non competitive salary with no OT. There are a few that work hard but are just buying time til something better comes along. For a company to say you run your own business to save hundreds of millions a year but expect you to run your company their way how much control do you have. Now there is a rumor floating around the Ground and Home Delivery are going to merge this year as well. Is that more work same pay or more work more pay. If FEDEX wants more quality people at Ground they need to change their pay structure because quality professional drivers will not work to long if at all under the current pay structure. I can honestly tell you that once this new addendum goes into affect to keep down complaints and get the guys off the road that should not be driving in the first place half of our terminal will be gone.

northeast swing driver

I am curious as to what the pay is for a ground driver? I have no clue. You make it seem as though express drivers are rich. We don't make crap either. What are you exactly expecting to make as a "professional driver"

northeast swing driver

I have been with express for seven years. The way my station is set up with the swing driver crew we have right now. I can basically work as many hours as i want. On average i work about 45 a week. If i wanted 50 i could do that but choose not to. I have never cracked 50,000 in any year with this company. I dont know what ground guys are expecting to make as "professional drivers". If u are looking to be paid a decent salary for this line of work my advice is go to ups and load trucks for ten years and hope for the best. You will not be rich working at this company. That being said in this economy I am thankful to be employed as we all should be.

FedExer267

I am curious as to what the pay is for a ground driver? I have no clue. You make it seem as though express drivers are rich. We don't make crap either. What are you exactly expecting to make as a "professional driver"
Well I came from Ups where at the time I was making 28 and change a hour. I hear at Express you guys top out at 22 I believe although it takes like 20 years to get there. When you average out the hours worked for the salary we get on a weekly basis its like 12 a hour whether you work 40 hours or 70 hours that week. No overtime, no benefits, no vacation, no paid holidays you dont work you dont get paid.. The funny thing is if you miss a day but still work 40 hours you get paid for 32 hours instead of the 40. Basically you get a certain amount a day times 5 thats your weekly total. I know you guys are not rich by any stretch of the imagination however you get hourly and OT which is not the case working for a contractor. But you have to do what you have to do to feed your family