What's really going on? Someone shed some light.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Chances are that the first pkg. had a bad address on it. The house number or street number was probably wrong and luckily that house was empty so the pkg. wasn't left there. You know UPS has sent that pkg back so call that company and have them send it to you again - make sure they have the correct address.

The second "missed" pkg - missed is UPS terminology for a pkg that we didn't try to deliver - was probably damaged or looked like it could be damaged. If it was only the box that was damaged you'll get it on Monday. If the contents were damaged (or missing because it/they fell out of the box) then it was sent back to the shipper and they will have to send another one.

You were just unlucky that you had two of the reasons deliveries are delayed happen to you in the same week.
I am giggly this morning anyways, but your signature line had tears rolling I was laughing so hard.

pretzel_man

OK, there is definitely something fishy going on

there was yet another update tonight

08/24/2012
9:37 P.M.
The receiver did not want the order and refused this delivery. / Returned to shipper.

How can they say that when the UPS guy never made it to my place. Is there anyone I can report this to? This is complete bull!!!

First, don't ask this board. This is not the proper forum for that.

Call 1800 pickups again. Tell them the story and ask for a supervisor if needed. Make them call the center......

Did you use MyChoice? The first package shows multiple MyChoice requests..... Did you ask for a delvery at a different location???

You second package was NOT out for delivery. That is a system flaw. When it got to the building, the visibility program automaticall said it was going out. Later, it was found in the building. That is what that means.

Again, call 1800 pickups..... Good luck

barnyard

KTM rider
Hard to believe. The driver is a cool dude. He's never messed up before for as long as he's been delivering my packages. Now all of a sudden he starts messing up?

I would bet dimes to dollars that your regular is on vacation and the sub cannot find your house.

The 'missed' means that the package did not get loaded or was loaded on the wrong truck or the vacation driver could not finish the route and sheeted a bunch as, 'missed.'

barnyard

KTM rider
First, don't ask this board. This is not the proper forum for that.

Call 1800 pickups again. Tell them the story and ask for a supervisor if needed. Make them call the center......

Did you use MyChoice? The first package shows multiple MyChoice requests..... Did you ask for a delvery at a different location???

You second package was NOT out for delivery. That is a system flaw. When it got to the building, the visibility program automaticall said it was going out. Later, it was found in the building. That is what that means.

Again, call 1800 pickups..... Good luck

This is the best advice.

Demand a callback from the center.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Mr. Blazito,
What a mess.  I've been trying to decipher the info. you posted.

"Package missed at UPS facility" means it was left in the building and did not get loaded on a truck.  (Could be it was damaged or needed to be repacked.)

I would call the 800 number and tell them to contact the Van Nuys facility and have them call you directly regarding this package.  Sorry you have to call the 800 number and can't call a facility directly.  I always hear customers frustration regarding the 800 number.

On 8/24 your package was unloaded from a trailer and scanned, hence the "out for delivery" disposition.  Then for whatever reason it was not loaded onto the proper truck and left in the building.

I hope you get your package on Monday.  What a mess.  I'd be frustrated to say the least.  Just curious if you'd be willing to say what you ordered?  Perhaps it's something that the shipper is not packaging properly and keeps getting damaged.  Good luck.

mrblazito

Yes the package was from LL bean. I contacted LL bean and they confirmed the address with me, which is correct. And yes I do use UPS MyChoice. And since I can see the package on my delivery planner, the delivery address must be correct?

So the best thing to do is call the 800 number and have them transfer me to my local UPS facility so I can speak to a supervisor?

I have 2 more packages coming on Tuesday from different company, and I have a feeling they both will not be delivered. Like I said, I've never had a problem with any of my deliveries from UPS before.

Thanks all.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Yes the package was from LL bean. I contacted LL bean and they confirmed the address with me, which is correct. And yes I do use UPS MyChoice. And since I can see the package on my delivery planner, the delivery address must be correct?

So the best thing to do is call the 800 number and have them transfer me to my local UPS facility so I can speak to a supervisor?

I have 2 more packages coming on Tuesday from different company, and I have a feeling they both will not be delivered. Like I said, I've never had a problem with any of my deliveries from UPS before.

Thanks all.

I'd be interested in knowing how this turns out.  If you get the package look for what's called a "service cross" on the front.  It looks like the letter t that explains why package was not delivered.  The corners of the t will have the time the package was attempted, the date attempted, the drivers initials, and a reason why it wasn't delivered.  It might have a NI1 (meaning "not home on first delivery attempt"), REF (meaning "customer refused package"), etc, etc.  I don't know if it will be on the package if it never left the building but there will be something on it.  I just don't get how this got so messed up.  Also, if you talk with a supervisor from the facility request that a message be put in DIAD that this is a good address.  The supervisor will know what you're talking about.

Remember, we're just employees here and cannot take the place of you calling the 800# to find out for sure what's going on.

One last thing, you said in your last post you think the 2 packages you are waiting on will not arrive either.  Why is that?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work in the main UPS hub that sorts LLBean. Bottom line, it was probably damaged.
Lots of LL Bean damages in our hub, since management refuses to tote/small bag them in secondary and they go through the belt system.

mrblazito

Just saw the UPS truck from my window. He did not stop, just made a u-turn at the end of the street and went the other way. It's the same driver I've had for a long time. I doubt the two packages I'm waiting for, from two different vendors, will be delivered today.

I called 800-pickups and they took my info down and said someone will call by the end of today. Pretty aggravated at this point.

mrblazito

Unbelievable!!!

Two packages from two different vendors got returned to shipper today

Package 1
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/28/2012 9:49 P.M. Returned to shipper.

08/28/2012 5:30 A.M. Out For Delivery

08/28/2012 1:57 A.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/28/2012 1:18 A.M. Departure Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/27/2012 11:12 A.M. Arrival Scan
Horsham, PA, United States 08/23/2012 3:49 A.M. Departure Scan
Horsham, PA, United States 08/22/2012 11:51 P.M. Arrival Scan
Tamaqua, PA, United States 08/22/2012 8:25 P.M. Departure Scan

08/22/2012 4:25 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 08/22/2012 3:03 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Package 2
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/28/2012 9:51 P.M. Returned to shipper.

08/28/2012 6:31 A.M. Out For Delivery

08/28/2012 5:34 A.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/28/2012 4:46 A.M. Departure Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/27/2012 6:59 P.M. Arrival Scan
Harrisburg, PA, United States 08/23/2012 4:25 A.M. Departure Scan
Harrisburg, PA, United States 08/22/2012 10:54 P.M. Arrival Scan
East Petersburg, PA, United States 08/22/2012 7:50 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 08/22/2012 10:34 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And of course no one from UPS called today as promised. What do I do now? Obviously something is going on with either the driver or someone at the local package center is making the decision.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no way the driver would just arbitrarily RTS two packages without direction from the center. My first thought was that the shipper initiated an Intercept request but what are the odds of two different shippers initiating Intercepts on the same day. This one has me baffled.

mrblazito

I really don't know what to do. UPS is not calling me back. It's like they are ignoring me. Can I go to my local package center to speak someone in person?

DorkHead

If your local package center is the place that the pkg`s are loaded for delivery I would go there with copies of the pkg progress and get some straight answers. Ask for the center manager. This situation is way out of control.

curiousbrain

I receive 2-3 packages a week. Have had absolutely 0 problems this entire year up until recently. 2 weeks ago I was waiting on a package, and the delivery process turned into nightmare.

Here is the tracking info:

Van Nuys, CA, United States
08/22/2012 2:44 A.M. Departure Scan
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/21/2012 8:06 P.M. Receiver's location is vacant. / Returned to shipper.
08/21/2012 10:02 A.M. Tracer request. / Lost package tracer.
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/16/2012 1:02 P.M. The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day.
08/16/2012 8:36 A.M. Out For Delivery
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/15/2012 10:26 A.M. My Choice Delivery Change Option has been completed. / Delivery rescheduled.
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/13/2012 6:19 A.M. My Choice Delivery Change Option has been completed.
08/13/2012 5:37 A.M. Out For Delivery
08/10/2012 5:36 P.M. My Choice Delivery Change Option has been requested. / Rescheduled Delivery.
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/10/2012 5:19 P.M. The customer was not available on the 1st attempt. A 2nd attempt will be made.
08/10/2012 9:11 A.M. Out For Delivery
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/09/2012 8:29 P.M. Destination Scan
08/09/2012 5:12 A.M. Out For Delivery
Van Nuys, CA, United States 08/08/2012 10:50 P.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/08/2012 9:59 P.M. Departure Scan
08/08/2012 9:03 A.M. Arrival Scan
Secaucus, NJ, United States 08/04/2012 5:11 A.M. Departure Scan
Secaucus, NJ, United States 08/03/2012 11:07 P.M. Arrival Scan
Nanuet, NY, United States 08/03/2012 8:40 P.M. Departure Scan
08/03/2012 7:45 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 08/03/2012 3:09 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Notice on 08/09 it said "out for delivery" and nothing happened that day. Then on 08/10 it was out for delivery again. And again, no delivery made. UPS said they tried to deliver at 5:19PM, but that's complete BS. I know for a fact UPS truck did not come around at 5:19PM because I was outside washing my car from around 4:30 to 6pm. It would be impossible for me to miss the truck as it would have been 15 feet from my garage if it did come around at 5:19PM. Anyways, I rescheduled delivery for next available business day which was the 13th. You can see on the 13th it says out for delivery again. Nope, nothing delivered again. Then on 16th it was "out for delivery" once again. Nope, nothing delivered. This time the excuse is "the package was missed at the ups facility" At this point I'm thinking OK, the package must be lost. So I have the shipper start a package trace. UPS then ends up shipping the package back because "receivers location is vacant". Are you kidding me? That's obviously BS, since the same UPS guy has been delivering my packages for a long time. I call UPS and they tell me it was shipped back for another reason, not because the location is vacant. Ummm what other reason? Of course they can't give me a reason and tell me to call the shipper to discuss.

Now, I had a few other packages delivered after that incident and thought all is well again. I was waiting for another package today and here is the tracking info:

Van Nuys, CA, United States
08/24/2012 5:24 P.M. The package was missed at the UPS facility, UPS will deliver on the next business day.
08/24/2012 6:23 A.M. Out For Delivery
08/24/2012 3:47 A.M. Arrival Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/24/2012 3:03 A.M. Departure Scan
Vernon, CA, United States 08/23/2012 5:09 P.M. Arrival Scan
Salt Lake City, UT, United States 08/23/2012 12:52 A.M. Departure Scan
Salt Lake City, UT, United States 08/22/2012 6:54 P.M. Arrival Scan
Freeport, ME, United States 08/20/2012 5:29 P.M. Departure Scan
08/20/2012 4:54 P.M. Agent pickup; in transit to UPS facility.
08/20/2012 4:54 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 08/20/2012 5:56 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Package missed at UPS facility again? What does this even mean? How can it be out for delivery and then end up being missed at the facility. I've never had this issue up until recently. I would like to know why this is happening. I can't get any truth from the customer service on the phone.

OK. So, I'm going to walk through what *I* think happened - others are free to tell me I'm full of it, blah blah blah ... but, we are all free to make our own judgements in life. So, I shall make mine in this case, and you can make yours.

In order to coordinate package/trailer movement through the feeder system at UPS, we use a system called TFCS - wherein, we (e.g. overworked idiots such as myself) enter the time that trailers arrive/depart our operations. These times are "derived" into Arrival/Departure scans - but, as I said, we are overworked; so, anytime you see an "arrival/departure" scan, I would take it with a grain of salt ... reason being, we are so overworked, we are invariably doing a bunch of other crap to keep track of when exactly trailers arrive/depart.

The "Out for Delivery" scan is also a "derived" scan; this scan means that a particular package has been hit with a SPA/PAL label (something we use internally to identify where a package goes - i.e.: what truck, what route, so on and so forth), and has allegedly been loaded in the right truck, to be delivered to you ... the consignee.

OK. So, that brings us to the first OFD scan: at 8/9, at 5:12 AM - the package was SPA'd out, and in several minutes will be loaded on the right truck for delivery to you. Sadly, there is no scan after that; so, here is where you start with your case against your local center. Ask them to find you a Discrepancy Report (via PFT) from 8/9/2012, and explain why there was a DNED for your package - if there is no DNED for you, that is an even bigger problem. Tell them to track it via eTT; make sure eTT matches your report.

The next scan is a Destination Scan; that doesn't help you at all. But, notice that the next scan is an OFD at 9:11AM ... I don't know what time the drivers are usually supposed to leave at that building, but 9:11 seems pretty damn late when they have commit times of 10:30 for their air. Maybe ask your local center what time the drivers are supposed to leave; if it is before 9:11, ask them why the hell your package was PAL'd out *after* they were supposed to leave?

Next scan is a Not In 1 (NI1); that is a classic tactic of avoiding responsibility by management/drivers (perhaps a collusion of both, I am not pointing fingers at either specific party). But, you said you "rescheduled delivery" ... did you track the package, see the NI1, then reschedule, or did you reschedule *after* 5:36PM? That is important, because it implies dishonesty on UPS's part.

If you actually requested redelivery, then the MyChoice scan (or DCO, whatever) will be an honest scan.

Ok, let's move on to the 13th, which is particularly interesting.

So, your package was re-PAL'd at 5:37AM - travelling the UPS belt system and allegedly being loaded into the right truck. Except, it says that at you, as the consignee, requested a delivery change already, at 6:19AM, on Monday? And, apparently, we just ignored your package entirely on Tuesday, and only on Wednesday did we decide to "complete" your delivery change request?

Again, ask your local center for the DNED/Missed package report for 8/14 ... maybe your package is on it? If it is, it means your parcel was just laying around somewhere in the building; and we were obviously to busy to get it to you. For a variety of reasons, that is unacceptable.

Yet, suddenly, on 8/15, your Delivery change request (that you never mention having made) was processed; sweet.

It is scanned again, on 8/16, at 8:36AM, at your local delivery center. It was scanned as 1:02PM as "missed" ... I can't stress enough how much management teams try and avoid "Missed" scans ... you do not randomly scan things as "Missed". And, for it to be scanned as that so early in a day, when management (or others) could still shuttle the misload, that smells fishy. Also, if it was a damage as other people claim, it is preferable to scan it as "Rewrap" rather than "Missed". That may not make much sense to you, as someone external to the company, but a damaged package is preferable to a missed one.

Not only that, we "Missed" the package on 8/16, and magically didn't scan the package as anything on 8/17? Come on; some guy with a GSS scanner key entered that tracking number, and "we" sent it back on 8/21.

As far as the latter two packages you mention in your latest post, that were RTS, I advice this - ask ... nay, demand ... that your local center/hub look up those tracking numbers in eTT, and find out the user names (ID's, or DIAD ID's) of the person who scanned them as RTS. That will pinpoint the responsibility on someone, and perhaps will begin to unravel the mystery of what is going on with your parcels.

Good luck; hope you are able to extrapolate some useful information from that wall of text.

edit: As to "who" your local delivery center is, it is Van Nuys; whatever is stamped "Out for Delivery" is your center. So, drive there and speak to them.