What's the best bluetooth headset?

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm pretty much sold on the 520 as the best current solution, I wear it all day, every day and it's never given me the "sore ear" that I have gotten from other headsets. I started using bluetooth headsets about 3 years ago and it's the first one that I've been almost completely satisfied with.

Please don't take me wrong as I am so far out of the "gadget" loop its sad- but do you talk on your cell phone that much that you need one of those hanging on your ear all day long? Every study I've ever seen says that when it comes to driving, "hands free" isn't any safer than holding on to a cell phone. It's the talking that distracts you- not the holding part.

over9five

Staff member
Please don't take me wrong as I am so far out of the "gadget" loop its sad- but do you talk on your cell phone that much that you need one of those hanging on your ear all day long? Every study I've ever seen says that when it comes to driving, "hands free" isn't any safer than holding on to a cell phone. It's the talking that distracts you- not the holding part.

I agree with that......... but in a large vehicle with a standard transmission, hands free is the way to go.

over9five

Staff member
I'm pretty much sold on the 520 as the best current solution, I wear it all day, every day and it's never given me the "sore ear" that I have gotten from other headsets. I started using bluetooth headsets about 3 years ago and it's the first one that I've been almost completely satisfied with.

Is Voyager 520 and Plantronics 520 the same thing?

I'm just waiting for you guys to pick the best one so I can get it!

Cementups

Box Monkey
I dunno man I keep reading reviews of it and it seems like not the best unit... ear loop breaks off easily (though, I NEVER put mine in my pocket, I either wear it, or it sits on my desk at home), and that the noise canceling doesn't always work all that well. I seem to remember trying one of these over a year ago, looks exactly like the one I had, not sure how long this has been out. I'm going to try out the Voyager 520 the next time I am driving (cover driver) and if it's just not going to cut it then maybe I'll go pick one of these up and try it out.

I have a broken a couple of hte ear loops. I found a place on eBay that sells them in bulk for less than $1/loop.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
Not really, to some people no bluetooth headset is the best.
Well, how on earth does the fact that someone doesn't use one, help me choose the best one? You're getting way too literal here, There is going to be a headset, no matter what any of you say, and as such, saying "just don't use one" is COMPLETELY USELESS and is cluttering up my thread. Sometimes I think people on forums like this say those kinds of things just to be asinine.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Well, how on earth does the fact that someone doesn't use one, help me choose the best one? You're getting way too literal here, There is going to be a headset, no matter what any of you say, and as such, saying "just don't use one" is COMPLETELY USELESS and is cluttering up my thread. Sometimes I think people on forums like this say those kinds of things just to be asinine.

On reading that post, I 100% agree with you.

I think the site you were looking for was www.consumerreports.com, maybe they will answer only your question, on your command, with no extraneous information.

Last edited:

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
On reading that post, I 100% agree with you.

I think the site you were looking for was www.consumerreports.com, maybe they will answer only your question, on your command, with no extraneous information.
Well, seeing as how you have to PAY to view any actual ratings, I'm gonna have to pass on CR.

I have done plenty of research on amazon, howard forums, etc etc. The problem with any site like that, especially with bluetooth headsets is, you'll get widely varying reports of people's experiences. That's why I came here, because people's experiences with the bluetooth headsets are much more specific to my needs, i.e. driving a package car. I really don't think this is too much to ask for.

The reason I get annoyed when people start going off topic in a thread like this is... they just KEEP going off topic, and the thread is no longer about which headset has the most practical use for package car driving, but now it's all about whether or not people think their supervisors should be able to contact them during the day. Then we'll start getting to talking about DIAD messaging, productivity, ETC ETC. How does any of that help me? It does not.

I'm not commanding information, if there is seriously no one on this site with any useful information, so be it. Then I'll just look elsewhere. If someone has something constructive to add to my particular question, that would be much appreciated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I, personally, think DIAD messaging hurts productivity...

...depending upon the content of the message, I would have to agree. Letting me know that there is an accident on my area that I should avoid is useful. Letting me know that Keter may or may not be in our bldg tomorrow does not help me. Making EVERY message response required most certainly does not help me.

Dream, you have not been driving long enough to remember that the only way that the center had to get ahold of us before ODS and cellphones was to leave telephone messages at one of our pickup stops. That's right, you'd walk in to a pickup and there would be a message asking you to call the center. That is unproductive!