What's the best route to go to be a full time driver?

Ryan93

I've been at UPS for a little over two years now, and well school is just kicking my ass. I've talked to a few of the drivers and they all seem to like it, so I'm thinking this is something I'd like to do. What's the best route to go to being a full time driver? One of the drivers at the hub keeps telling me I should do EAM and after two years bid for full time. Would this be the best thing to do?
Also what's the current hourly top out?

I came here looking for answers from the pros! :)

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I would recommend air driving but the pay is crap until you make top rate. Find out how to get into feeders.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

One of the drivers at the hub keeps telling me I should do EAM and after two years bid for full time.
You should do that. It gives you a taste of it. You should always try and do seasonal driving so you can really see what it is like. This past peak we put up a bid for 2 new FT drivers. 2 DQed themselves because they hated it. These were both guys who had been there a while and really wanted to drive. The pay seems nice, and it is. But it's a lot of hard work.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I've been at UPS for a little over two years now, and well school is just kicking my ass. I've talked to a few of the drivers and they all seem to like it, so I'm thinking this is something I'd like to do. What's the best route to go to being a full time driver? One of the drivers at the hub keeps telling me I should do EAM and after two years bid for full time. Would this be the best thing to do?

Sign the bid.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Air driving with give you a taste of driving but it will give you priceless windshield time experience. Sort of like sticking your toe in the water before taking the plunge. After that it is waiting game to gain seniority.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

giphy.gif

You've been here 2 years, ask a driver that worked on your shift.
Sign a bid sheet and look at all the seniority dates after the names.
Your steward should give you plenty of advice on the subject.
Air driving is a good start to work on the diad and driver methods.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
If you think school is kicking your ass, you haven't seen anything yet.

Stay in school, get a useful degree, make what we make without killing yourself.

It is very difficult to make this job a career anymore.