whats the best way to deal with this new "push" on production? on production.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I know that many people on here try to rationalize and put ups into a box like other companies, management tries to say that the ups culture, as the way we know it, is a direct relationship to being union and I dont believe this is totally true. I have known others, including family, that have had union shops and there is not even close the amount of drama. This is a VERY DIFFERENT company than others out there, you cannot compare its mgt and hourly employees to other managers and hourly employees to other companies in the world. They aren't rational, they dont seem to make alot of sense, but they are what they are, and we all in our own ways add to that picture, good or bad, bad or good.

The man has hit the proverbial nail -- on the head -- with a mighty big hammer!!

Dagoof

I would think it would more physically taxing to put all that effort into slowing yourself down when you could just stop bsing and get it done.

Yeah I tried that not slowing down and getting the job done. Now I have a replaced ACL and a mended MCl. Now I have to slow it down because it is not worth tearing up my knee any more than i have to because I still have 20 years to go. Oh yeah I was working by methods however a brisk step onto a slick wet bumper at a dock and it was all over. However if had put all that effort into slowing down I would still have a good knee and the company would still have all the money they spent on my TAW, surgery,PT, prescriptions,and lost time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah I tried that not slowing down and getting the job done. Now I have a replaced ACL and a mended MCl. Now I have to slow it down because it is not worth tearing up my knee any more than i have to because I still have 20 years to go. Oh yeah I was working by methods however a brisk step onto a slick wet bumper at a dock and it was all over. However if had put all that effort into slowing down I would still have a good knee and the company would still have all the money they spent on my TAW, surgery,PT, prescriptions,and lost time.

Its really scary to think about all the times in ones day that a serious accident can occur at this job, and Im not even talking about the driving/general public part. There are injuries that can take months or years to happen, like bad knees from carrying packages out of the cab, or not using the handrail. But other injuries can happen with just taking a box off the top shelf, or lifting an over 70 the wrong way.Personally, I have really tried to make an effort to lift and lower properly, and use care when exiting and entering the car. Mgt can harp all they want about safety but we all are the ones who have to practice it, and do it right every stop every day. The way that I see it:

safety of myself and the general public

service and customers

production

in that order

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have never seen anyone disciplined on WOR numbers alone. When 3 other drivers do the route in an hour less time, there is a problem.

If those three drivers are new and skipping their lunch and breaks and running, which is not a method, then they are going to be doing it faster, its not the proper way 89. Now if you have guys'/gals that are following all the methods and taking meal periods and doing the job properly, and all three are doing it an hour faster...then I believe you are right about the problem. So many times, the runners are giving mgt an excuse to start harassing folks on production. Runners are causing lots of problem for others and themselves(injuries etc).Everyone will work at a slightly different pace and do different aspects of the job at different paces, mgt just cant get over that, its called being human.

paidslave

That point would seem to beg the question "how many days would you like us to ride with you if three is not enough?"

I don't think three consecutive days is actually enough. Out of how many days do we work a year? I would guess this is not even close to being accurate assessment of spors. Until UPS can guarantee the exact load everysingle day. IE: same amount of packages and the same amount of stops precisely and the same exact stops the same amount of traffic to a T and make sure that it is sunny out everysingle day of the year like it is on the time study days and driver rides, ect ect, ect, then you cannot hold your end of the bargain there are mucho anomalys!

All wouldn't be equal in my equation, or you may plug in all your number in this equation after your three day ride along. Make sure you click the link on the bottom if you have any questions undertanding my mistakes!

Formulas

From the true anomaly

The eccentric anomaly can be computed from the true anomaly by the formulas
15a75e1d708f9249625b4a74a62a0d2b.png
210a363caad58a003c7337a16abd21c2.png
hence
707529133d978fb79067c17f6f72258c.png
where http://wpcontent.answers.com/math/c/5/friend/c5f222e62e55cae3b192a3f9d3a90cac.png is the angular coordinate of point (X,Y) in polar coordinates.

From the mean anomaly

The eccentric anomaly E is related to the mean anomaly M by the formula
74a295c19e61a931cc179ea9347ea27e.png
This equation does not have a closed-form solution for E given M. It is usually solved by numerical methods, e.g. Newton-Raphson.

Radius and eccentric anomaly

The radius (distance from the focus of attraction to the orbiting body) is related to the eccentric anomaly by the formula
http://wpcontent.answers.com/math/7/9/friend/79f9681e45cbba7a8d5dff3ddc23eab9.png

TIE if this formula doesn't help you understand things that are not real this link might,

http://www.mysticghost.com/GhostHuntingMistakestoAvoid.html

I can't wait for my response!

upser_J

Good post. They always say I don't know so that is what I say back!
its expecation zero week up here, so I told a sup... "Don't expect much from me this week." when he asked why, I said "just trying to meet the goal of zero expectations." haha oops.:happy-very:

tieguy

Banned

So in your case you feel you're moving as quickly as you can safely do so. This would be a different interpreation of my quote which you referenced. I am specifically talking about people who maliciously try to find ways to manipulate the methods into an excuse and means to slow down. As you read through some of the posts here on that subject I find that those people spend a lot of time and energy working thier little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to slow down then they would if they just stopped screwing around and did the job.

tieguy

Banned
I don't think three consecutive days is actually enough. Out of how many days do we work a year? I would guess this is not even close to being accurate assessment of spors. Until UPS can guarantee the exact load everysingle day. IE: same amount of packages and the same amount of stops precisely and the same exact stops the same amount of traffic to a T and make sure that it is sunny out everysingle day of the year like it is on the time study days and driver rides, ect ect, ect, then you cannot hold your end of the bargain there are mucho anomalys!

All wouldn't be equal in my equation, or you may plug in all your number in this equation after your three day ride along. Make sure you click the link on the bottom if you have any questions undertanding my mistakes!

Formulas

From the true anomaly

The eccentric anomaly can be computed from the true anomaly by the formulas
15a75e1d708f9249625b4a74a62a0d2b.png
210a363caad58a003c7337a16abd21c2.png
hence
707529133d978fb79067c17f6f72258c.png
where http://wpcontent.answers.com/math/c/5/friend/c5f222e62e55cae3b192a3f9d3a90cac.png is the angular coordinate of point (X,Y) in polar coordinates.

From the mean anomaly

The eccentric anomaly E is related to the mean anomaly M by the formula
74a295c19e61a931cc179ea9347ea27e.png
This equation does not have a closed-form solution for E given M. It is usually solved by numerical methods, e.g. Newton-Raphson.

Radius and eccentric anomaly

The radius (distance from the focus of attraction to the orbiting body) is related to the eccentric anomaly by the formula
http://wpcontent.answers.com/math/7/9/friend/79f9681e45cbba7a8d5dff3ddc23eab9.png

TIE if this formula doesn't help you understand things that are not real this link might,

http://www.mysticghost.com/GhostHuntingMistakestoAvoid.html

I can't wait for my response!

whats to respond to? How many days would you like me to ride with you to give you a fair shake on an ojs?

mnnice

This is my take on OJS rides by management. I have always felt that a three day ride along should cover the route thoroughly producing the good and the bad results for the management person to see or correct.

I think we get hung up on the number of days a management person should ride to see changes on your route. Your route changes every day as well as it did when you had the three day ride.

If the management person rode more than three days, you would probably consider this harrassemnt and would complain about all the attention you are recieving.

IE developes the standard for each area with their time study. It is up to the management to see if this standard is obtainable by observing your methods, handling your customers, delays and etc. throughout the day. If done correctly, the three day ride should be averaged and that is what the management person should expect. You may have had a good day, bad day and an average day out of the three days, but the average is the goal for you to obtain throughout the week.

Don't get hung up on the IE standards and the number of days management should ride. Use this to hold yourself and management accountable for the results on your route.

paidslave

whats to respond to? How many days would you like me to ride with you to give you a fair shake on an ojs?

Hey TIE!

Everyday of the week, every single day for one year! The following year will be evaluate if conditions aren't exactly the same as the the first year. And then the next year too simply because areas grow and many variables change as the company changes! If things remain constant, stop count ect ect, in the second year I will let you off the rides. However, if more things change in the third year but I highly can't imagine they won't then another year will be needed. . My preditions is that things will not be the exact same as preceeding 2 years.....So For now figure and plan out the next three years! I actually enjoy drive alongs.

All is well.....:peaceful:

paidslave

This is my take on OJS rides by management. I have always felt that a three day ride along should cover the route thoroughly producing the good and the bad results for the management person to see or correct.

I think we get hung up on the number of days a management person should ride to see changes on your route. Your route changes every day as well as it did when you had the three day ride.

If the management person rode more than three days, you would probably consider this harrassemnt and would complain about all the attention you are recieving.

IE developes the standard for each area with their time study. It is up to the management to see if this standard is obtainable by observing your methods, handling your customers, delays and etc. throughout the day. If done correctly, the three day ride should be averaged and that is what the management person should expect. You may have had a good day, bad day and an average day out of the three days, but the average is the goal for you to obtain throughout the week.

Don't get hung up on the IE standards and the number of days management should ride. Use this to hold yourself and management accountable for the results on your route.

Good luck holding management accountable for the results! Where have you been the numbers are always obtainable from IE stand point.

I am sorry your arguement is week......I

paidslave

Good luck holding management accountable for the results! Where have you been the numbers are always obtainable from IE stand point?

I am sorry but your arguement is week......

Some days it takes my one half hour to get to work some days it takes me 3/8 of an hour and from a management perspective is that I am stealing time which is another demonstrations by managment that the numbers are not correct it is the way it is. A three day measurement is not an accurate accessment for a whole year. I have another option,rotate the days of the weeks like every monday for three weeks straight and then tuesday for three weeks straight ect ect. for one year. I think this would be a better accessment than a once every 8 years time studie or once every many years a three day ride. It is not fair and here we don't even listen to these silly arguements...

I have many other comparitions but I choose not to display them because I might be the bad guy.

Good day!

browned out

lol i would love that.

tieguy "this driver stole 10 seconds taking a picture of a diad message"
someonewithabrain "why?"
i would love to play that game! thats the whole reason im taking the pictures

with respect to this thread ive realized 50% is the answer. you dont have to be a superhero; but as long as you not in the lower quartile you will be left alone. its not that much more effort to avoid being "least best" and you get left alone... good trade off for me at least.

I have had these jokers tell me to sheet a store closed when I was 15 miles away and it was noon when I called in the misload. This store was open to 10 and it was house mail on a Friday. That is usually paychecks. I took a picture of DIAD instructions for my protection. I asked for copy of the two way and was told it was gone. So if a big wig in Atlanta runs a report and sees that I sheeted a stop closed 15 miles from the stop and fires me I am screwed. Protect yourself

browned out

I always try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and I always try to remember that, in the end, we are all just human beings who come to UPS every day in order to earn a living.

Unfortunately, when I have a discussion with a supervisor regarding production or other job expectations, I am not really talking to him....I am talking through him to his boss or his boss's boss. And the discussion can never be truly honest or productive because the person I am talking to is not a decision-maker. He has no real authority. He cant fix problems or change anything. Not to mention that there is an entire aspect to the debate....the fairness of the time allowance itself...that cannot be discussed, disputed or even acknowledged. The allowance is chiseled in stone and it will never be corrected or changed, even if all parties involved agree that it is not fair.

For all practical purposes, the on-car supervisor or center manager is a guy whose only job it is to make the square peg of the time allowance fit into the round hole of reality. His job is made even more difficult by the fact that his only tool is a hammer. He might be a decent human being and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but after a while the business end of that hammer starts to hurt. I do my best to remember that, in the end, he is little more than a puppet and he might be holding the hammer but it is someone higher up than him who is actually swinging it.

Hit the nail on the head, This is the case. All over the country; I believe you would get similar stories.

browned out

I will say that this is your worst post that i have read. And i have enjoyed every one of your posts up to this one.

Just because a driver does not live up to the time study does not mean he/she needs to improve.

Why should the driver that follows all the methods as close to perfect have to go through the harassment because some pencil pusher with a broken calculator mis added some numbers.

What should happen here, is the knucklehead from IE should be able to demonstrate his numbers and run the route for one day within his own expectations!

As an old veteran driver told me when he was harassed in such a manner, he replied "don't tell me how to do my job, show me.

DS

Fenderbender
I have had these jokers tell me to sheet a store closed when I was 15 miles away and it was noon when I called in the misload. This store was open to 10 and it was house mail on a Friday. That is usually paychecks. I took a picture of DIAD instructions for my protection. I asked for copy of the two way and was told it was gone. So if a big wig in Atlanta runs a report and sees that I sheeted a stop closed 15 miles from the stop and fires me I am screwed. Protect yourself
That is customer service?
Why would they do that?
To look better on paper?
ups is a mess

browned out

T cross = DIRT date int reason time 4 corners of a t

Using handcart is smart as it will save your back and knees! Also some guys go all He-man to impress boss by caring too many boxes at once or a giant one.

Some guys are lazy and avoid the misload claiming it is out of way. I am saying do it if it can be done period. Why skip it the days they ride you and then be forced to do it other days that will lower your numbers.

"Running off a bunch of ground stops during airs does not happen everyday and most days you can not so why act as if you can the days they ride with you. You may not have had these 3 day rides but I have. They pull off slow stuff, hand sort trucks, pick a lite easy day to start it and so forth. They also avoid your heavy air days and heavy pick up days like Thur-Fri. They like to start on a Monday when airs are light and preload is all wrapped early.

As for the "do your job" answers yeah, true. Just reminding people to NOT cut corners.

Over 70's= DUH

What is against the contract? Taking lunch when you want? We choose it not them. We need to take it before 8th hour is all. Which means no skipping it until 6 pm just to make all business stops since they cut two routes. Show them that it is your lunch not dinner!

They like to alter the days even by adding easy gravy work that keeps you out till 8 pm but JACKS up your SPORH. Then they take away the easy gravy work so you can make 9.5 and complain that your are not keeping up with SPORH.

Those gravy stops are like 20-40 resi stops that are done in an hour or less. Now you do not get them so your production will drop.

I will not destroy my back like my buddy did. He busted it out every day. Now he is permanently disabled and out of work. Settlement was a joke. He gave it all for UPS and they turned their back on him!

Exactly, this is what they do. They take off bulk, over 70's, COD's and tell u not to run misroutes on the 3 day rides. I am not saying this happens everywhere but I have a feeling it is not uncommon. At our center they even took a gated low income signature only area of the driver (probably a 10 stop an hour area) of a driver for the 3 day ride and tried to hold him to these numbers when the area was put back on.

Nice and honest of the 3 day ride sup. This accounts to stealing time from the driver and someone needs to be fired and wait a month and a half to get their job back or find another occupation but we as drivers no that is not a 2 way street.

browned out

Wornout:

Yes, and No... I'll try and explain....

I posted earlier about the "tools" that your center team needs. Its their job to work with you and the preload to improve performance (if it needs improving).

I said before that the real problem is that UPS has inappropriately made the driver the cause of overallowed. Overallowed is meant to say that something is wrong. Not WHO is the cause.

The cause can be the preload, traffic, poor load, misloads, etc. The cause can also be bad work measurement. (Of corse, it can be the driver too)

Its the responsibility of the center team, to show you how to run the standard, not IE. From my perspective it comes down to an effective OJS ride.

If during an OJS ride you are told that you're following methods, working at a good pace, and making good decisions, then any overallowed is not you, but problems with the work measurement.

Now, you may say that during the OJS ride, you have a better dispatch and better load and that is the reason for better performance. I don't have a disagreement with that. It ony proves my point that work measurement just points out that a problem exists, not who the cause is.

If you look at driver performance across the country during an OJS ride, its significantly better than the average. Its the center teams job to maintain that.

P-Man

Correct, If they give me the same load that I got on my 3 day ride; I would run the same numbers.

browned out

So in your case you feel you're moving as quickly as you can safely do so. This would be a different interpreation of my quote which you referenced. I am specifically talking about people who maliciously try to find ways to manipulate the methods into an excuse and means to slow down. As you read through some of the posts here on that subject I find that those people spend a lot of time and energy working thier little game. In a sense they actually work harder finding ways to slow down then they would if they just stopped screwing around and did the job.

Sure. Who do you think manipulates more; the sup who takes off the over 70's, bulk stops, cod's and slow areas off and lowers the stop count on the 3 day rides and has no fear of losing his job over such tactics or the driver who can be terminated every single day for such behavior.
Please; we know you are not stupid.