whats the best way to deal with this new "push" on production? on production.

ricko52

Well the "Push" has come to our center, all drivers have been told they will run even or they will be rode with until it is fixed. I have just completed my 2nd day with a video sup[only driving he's done is what he has seen on video] and he told me I needed to walk faster and no talking, just a hello and goodbye, of course I have just been doing this for 26 yrs so I know nothing. I told him I would work on the talking but my pace after all these yrs was about as fast as it was going to be. He told me that on the first day the only time he saw sweat on me was during our driver sort and load and he knew I could walk faster. It has only just begun folks, heck we can't cut Mr. Davis 6M salary to save $, I bet they have not even given up the cappuccino machine and I am being told to walk faster by a guy who was crawling around on the floor crying for his mom to feed him while I was doing this job. Good luck everyone, do the methods and work every day like they are watching because they probably are.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Well the "Push" has come to our center, all drivers have been told they will run even or they will be rode with until it is fixed. I have just completed my 2nd day with a video sup[only driving he's done is what he has seen on video] and he told me I needed to walk faster and no talking, just a hello and goodbye, of course I have just been doing this for 26 yrs so I know nothing. I told him I would work on the talking but my pace after all these yrs was about as fast as it was going to be. He told me that on the first day the only time he saw sweat on me was during our driver sort and load and he knew I could walk faster. It has only just begun folks, heck we can't cut Mr. Davis 6M salary to save $, I bet they have not even given up the cappuccino machine and I am being told to walk faster by a guy who was crawling around on the floor crying for his mom to feed him while I was doing this job. Good luck everyone, do the methods and work every day like they are watching because they probably are.
Tell him you'll make sure that doesn't happen again.

I would have to ask him to point out in the contract how many steps per minute I had to walk and where it states that I have to sweat. Then I would offer to point out in the contract where it states that a drivers age and physical condition shall be considered when assigning work. The real wonder in thirty day wonders is that we let them live.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Some of the best advice is to follow speed limit perfectly.

Do not run, jog or even walk fast.

Do not take short cuts like back roads or cut through parking lots.

Yellow now means stop!

Take your time pulling out into traffic.

Remember to count 123 after every red light, stop sign, and stopped in traffic!!!

Use your hand cart whenever you can. It is one more thing to unload and reload.

Misloads are a wonderful thing to have to run off and slow down your day.

OCA's are nice to have to break and go do.

I would not be running off ground stops with my air either except for SSI accounts and last stop at 10:25am.

Let your customers know not to help you in advance. Tell them if you have a sup with you do not help.

Bag or tote all of your smalls and put them on belt as well as airs on top belt too.

Do proper pre-trips in full as well as post trips. No short cuts.

Load all your pick ups on shelves and not just thrown on floor.

If customers ASD not filled out finish filling it out for them like date, weight, from address, service level, make them sign or write N/A, business name for to and from so on and so forth.

Fill out each delivery notice in full. No short cuts. Write in entire customer name as well as entire shipper name.

If customers boxes look like they need more tape ask them to add some tape or do it yourself.

Pull all group 2's and fill out paperwork in full.

Do a full T cross on all boxes not delivered.

Answer all DIAD info with complete words and full answers back with no shrt cuts.

If your truck has something wrong with it on area stop and write it up on area so you do not forget.

They want perfection give them perfection.

Follow EDD even if it is wrong.

Then when you are running out of time you will have to break to go do the last few businesses before 5pm.

Remember that when you are to send in your numbers to stop 10 minutes before that time to sort truck looking for misloads on the clock not at lunch.

Take full lunch at your choosing not theirs!

Good luck!

Work hard, work smart, work safe.

good stuff! This isnt sticking it to the man...its the way the job is suppose to be done and in most cases taught to new drivers by mgt!!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Work as instructed. Assume at all times that you are being followed by a Loss Prevention sup with a video camera and stopwatch. Take and record accurately all breaks and meal periods. Obey speed limits and work safely.

Follow EDD/PAS 100%. You arent being paid to think or make smart decisions any more. Do it their way, even if it results in service failures. They made the bed, let them lie in it. If they dont like it, let them fix it. Thats why they make the big bucks. Your stress level will go way down when you stop worrying about problems that arent yours.

When questioned about your production, delays on your route, or any Telematics data... say nothing other than "I dont recall". Repeat as necessary. "I dont recall...I dont recall....I dont recall". Make no effort to cooperate or fill in the blanks for them. Always assume that management already knows the answers to the questions they are asking, and that they are trying to trick or confuse you into being dishonest. Dont help them.

Remember that Telematics data cannot be used against you for disciplinary purposes, and that "dishonesty" is "defined for the purposes of this paragraph as any act or omission by an employee where he/she
intends to defraud the Company" (Art 6 NMA). The burden of proof is therefore on management to prove that you intended to defraud the company. Do not be intimidated into thinking that you can be fired for a data entry error--- or a 4 minute delay at a stop---or accidentally making a wrong turn and having to drive around the block. Stuff happens. If you allow yourself to be intimidated your nervousness might cause you to say things that could be used against you. This is where "I dont recall" comes in really handy.

Learn from your management, and adopt their responses as your own. If your sup is being a real hardass and complaining about your overallowed hours on the WOR, look him right in the eye and say...."it is what it is."

great post everyone on here should read this one again...thanks sober!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How about you just be productive? Lord knows they are paying you to be. You can't make management the bad guy for wanting to get their money's worth.

One year ago there are drivers that were known to mgt as being very productive and were WELL LIKED BY MGT, actually known to other drivers as being ***** kissers...fast forward one year and now these same drivers are being harassed on production among other things...SOOOOO, would you like to explain this one???

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Red,

I never said the driver needed to improve. I also never said that the work measurement was perfect.

However, work measurement points to problem areas. The problem could be the driver, it could be the job setup, or it could be the measurement itself.

Here are examples:

You leave the building and then spend 20 minutes resorting your load. You will be over allowed for that time. Its not the drivers fault.

Your load is not loaded well, and you spend time at each stop looking for packages. You will be overallowed in select. Not the drivers fault.

You load is not closed in the morning and you spend closing the load. You are overallowed in the AM. Not the drivers fault.

The above are large causes of overallowed today.

Work measurement was designed to point out where a problem exists. It was NOT intended to say who caused the problem. UPS has given this good science a bad name by trying to make the driver responsible for overallowed.

One more thing. Work measurement is designed to be 95% accurate, 95% of the time. This means that on a 9 hour planned day, the work measurement could be off by 27 minutes plus or minus. It also means that 1 day per month, its not accurate at all.

My point is that the center team needs to be able discern where the problem exists. Is it the driver, job setup, or work measurement itself.

P-Man

P-man, thanks for being one of the honest folks on here. Everyone on here should re-read this post..including every center manager and IE manager in this company..it really says volumes about the allowance system, much more than any mgt team would ever discuss to a driver.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
P-man, thanks for being one of the honest folks on here. Everyone on here should re-read this post..including every center manager and IE manager in this company..it really says volumes about the allowance system, much more than any mgt team would ever discuss to a driver.

P-Man as always is right on the money.
Everything that P-Man stated is common knowledge in the IE Dept and I think is understood at some level by Center Managers and above in Package Operations.
The key thing is that the allowance system was initially developed for planning purposes and then was used as a management tool. If you have a nail to drive and you give the center management team a screwdriver, they do the best they can with the tool they have.
The allowance system works better at a macro level than at the micro level - That is, it is more accurate at the Division Level than at the Center Level than at the Supervisor level than at the Driver level.
I remember teaching everything P-Man stated and I stated here at SBTS* back in the late 80's... so while it may not be shared with the drivers it should be common knowledge to most UPS Package Operations management (disclaimer - been out of this area for 15 years so I don't know if they still teach this at the Corporate Schools.)

*SBTS - Supervisor's Basic Training School

Coldworld

60 months and counting
P-Man as always is right on the money.
Everything that P-Man stated is common knowledge in the IE Dept and I think is understood at some level by Center Managers and above in Package Operations.
The key thing is that the allowance system was initially developed for planning purposes and then was used as a management tool. If you have a nail to drive and you give the center management team a screwdriver, they do the best they can with the tool they have.
The allowance system works better at a macro level than at the micro level - That is, it is more accurate at the Division Level than at the Center Level than at the Supervisor level than at the Driver level.
I remember teaching everything P-Man stated and I stated here at SBTS* back in the late 80's... so while it may not be shared with the drivers it should be common knowledge to most UPS Package Operations management (disclaimer - been out of this area for 15 years so I don't know if they still teach this at the Corporate Schools.)

thanks for the info hoaxster..

Highwayman

If you follow all the ways they train you to work you will make money. That's what I'm here for, THE MONEY. Don't take short cuts that only costs you money and if something bad happens you will be blamed for taking those shortcuts.:sad-little:

Well huh! All this time I thought SBTS was just a cover up for the frontal lobotomies they preformed on all the new sups.:knockedout: