Whats The Biggest Problem UPS Union Members Face

Congrats brother, that's the whole point of the Union movement. Having a quality of life that some will never achieve is the American dream. Goes great awith a spouse, kids and the house with a white picket fence.
I never had it growing up. I was Poor as poor could be. I feel a deep deep allegiance to the Teamsters and fiercely loyal as well. They have helped me provide well for my family. This is why I make it a point to give back.

How much does Amazon and it's plans for future delivery impact your business?
I would say it under ten percent of our volume. They are eventually going to try and cut us out of the equation. Most here don't think so but as the economy gets better so will the influx of regional carriers that will offer very cheap service. It's already starting and as Amazon puts more distribution hubs around the country they will look to find other stuff to ship. Competing with this is hard and going to get a lot harder.

jbg77

Im in a rtw and have the option to pay dues or not yet still receive representation regardless. I however choose to pay dues.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
So you admit those who are RTW do not receive equal representation?
If I had my way, they wouldn't get any representation.

No benefits of a contract either.

If they choose to not join, not pay union dues, I all in favor of them making minimum wage and being abused like a red headed step children for their stupidity of not joining the union.

804brown

I have family and friends at UPS. What's the biggest issues that you guys deal with on a day to day basis? What is the Company or your Local doing to correct them?
At first i want to say apathy. This goes to whether we are talking at work or in politics or society as a whole. But there is something creating that apathy. That is trust or lack there of. Too many members/workers/citizens just do not trust any large institutions anymore. Governments (local, state or federal), religious institutions , the corporate media, even our own unions.
Just at work us union workers do not trust UPS and management likewise do not trust us. Its an never ending loop that continues on day after day. They do this we do that...retaliation begets more retaliation. Members feel management gets away with murder and blames the union for not standing up to management, etc. They lose faith in their local leadership. They might even clean house and elect new faces but after a few years they get sick of the new crew. At this point they have lost so much faith in even the idea of a union and its potential that the trust is gone. Members dont go to even 4 union meetings a year.
That loss of faith leads to apathy which in turn weakens the union further. Management of course sees this occurring and adds fuel to the fire. They turn up the heat and try to make the union look even weaker because thats the type of creature they are. Some management are truly without morals.

At times the union leaders in return give up of the membership, they stop showing up or just make deals to keep the peace. They too can become apathetic and feel useless: they have to deal with an apathetic and cynical membership as well as a greedy, relentless company. So they sellout which in turn causes the members to just tune out. Its an awful cycle.

Then certain cynical members come on to forums such as this and go off on their rants and blame one faction of our union or the other. The old guard blames TDU for "dividing" the union yet deep down respects their activism and passion. TDU blames the old guard for not doing enough and maybe selling out but is in awe of the old guards grip on power. I truly believe both factions mean well and want our union to prevail and grow. We are all caring and passionate and intelligent members other wise why would we spend so much time leafletting or posting on this forum everyday. But the problem is neither "side" trusts the other. The rhetoric is mindblowing and exaggerated. Im not sure what it is going to take to bring both sides together. Too much standard talking points and rhetoric and not enough Socratic method.

The day we start talking TO each other and not AT each other will be the day we will be a strong and united union!! Until then each side will post an attack or a harsh response on the other and NOTHING will be accomplished. The mistrust between management and union worker is understandable and I guess inevitable. The mistrust between the 2 factions is NOT inevitable and certainly is FIXABLE!!

hyena

The biggest problem that teamsters have is fighting amongst themselves. It's sad but it's the truth , management just sits back and laughs...

hyena

I never had it growing up. I was Poor as poor could be. I feel a deep deep allegiance to the Teamsters and fiercely loyal as well. They have helped me provide well for my family. This is why I make it a point to give back.
Living in a homeless shelter is where it all starts. Well if your me anyway.....

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
If I had my way, they wouldn't get any representation.

No benefits of a contract either.

If they choose to not join, not pay union dues, I all in favor of them making minimum wage and being abused like a red headed step children for their stupidity of not joining the union.

Lol.