Whats The Biggest Problem UPS Union Members Face

Shonuff

Greetings Brothers, I am pretty new here and started working for UPS since last peak. I know I don't have much experience yet but just from what I see in my building, the Union doesn't really bother to reach out to new members who have just received seniority. I basically had to research online which local I belonged to and then I had to look for the contract myself so that I can read over it and know my rights as a teamster. If the Union wants to stay strong, then someone should reach out to the new guys. I basically had to hunt down my shop steward to get to know him. I don't know how it works with other locals, but I figured that someone should at least reach out to those who are about to reach seniority and go over the contract with them. I mean, just last week, I was helping out another area and all the freaking supervisors were working our jobs without anyone saying a word. Management sends people home to try to do more with less and then they have supervisors doing Union jobs when people wanted to work. Needless to say, I will file my first grievance, but I just thought that everyone in my hub should be on the same page or else management will keep taking advantage. Please, if there are any shop stewards here, be a leader, reach out, and educate the new guys!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Greetings Brothers, I am pretty new here and started working for UPS since last peak. I know I don't have much experience yet but just from what I see in my building, the Union doesn't really bother to reach out to new members who have just received seniority. I basically had to research online which local I belonged to and then I had to look for the contract myself so that I can read over it and know my rights as a teamster. If the Union wants to stay strong, then someone should reach out to the new guys. I basically had to hunt down my shop steward to get to know him. I don't know how it works with other locals, but I figured that someone should at least reach out to those who are about to reach seniority and go over the contract with them. I mean, just last week, I was helping out another area and all the freaking supervisors were working our jobs without anyone saying a word. Management sends people home to try to do more with less and then they have supervisors doing Union jobs when people wanted to work. Needless to say, I will file my first grievance, but I just thought that everyone in my hub should be on the same page or else management will keep taking advantage. Please, if there are any shop stewards here, be a leader, reach out, and educate the new guys!
The stewards and senior people who file grievances, don't want too many people getting involved with that. This is what I was told by a few of our stewards. The less hands in the cookie jar, the more grievance money they make.

The union thing is a corporate "club" just like UPS management....tread carefully.

Shonuff

The stewards and senior people who file grievances, don't want too many people getting involved with that. This is what I was told by a few of our stewards. The less hands in the cookie jar, the more grievance money they make.

The union thing is a corporate "club" just like UPS management....tread carefully.

Well that's fine with me, can they file a grievance on my behalf? I just don't think is right that they schedule people off and then the people who do come in have to do double work and thus compromise safety. On top of that they are taking money away from people who want to work.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well that's fine with me, can they file a grievance on my behalf? I just don't think is right that they schedule people off and then the people who do come in have to do double work and thus compromise safety. On top of that they are taking money away from people who want to work.
This has been going on for ages and all the grievances in the world will not stop it.

The company will always run with the minimum amount of people, will always lay people off and work supervisors, and will always be an unsafe operation.

The only thing you will get in return, is MAYBE a few dollars next year when your grievance(s) are settle, and a lot of harassment and intimidation, possibly discriminated against. It's a never-ending cycle of b.s. union and UPS politics that's usually best to avoid.

Shonuff

This has been going on for ages and all the grievances in the world will not stop it.

The company will always run with the minimum amount of people, will always lay people off and work supervisors, and will always be an unsafe operation.

The only thing you will get in return, is MAYBE a few dollars next year when your grievance(s) are settle, and a lot of harassment and intimidation, possibly discriminated against. It's a never-ending cycle of b.s. union and UPS politics that's usually best to avoid.

I have been hesitant to file a grievance because I was afraid of what type of treatment I would receive on the rebound. Looks like I will have to tread carefully. I did notice that there is only a handful of people that the supes will keep an eye out for. They are senior Union guys, and whenever they are in the vicinity, they NEVER touch a package. Unfortunately, they can't cover the whole warehouse, so a lot of violations go undocumented.