What's the clerk do?

Sierra44

Now go home and get yer freakin’ shine box!!
He uses various tools at his disposal to find the correct address on those packages . Historical delivery records , the internet, and in my opinion is the backbone of the whole delivery operation.
I was a clerk for 9.5 years. While doing that I was Saturday Air driver for 5. Both made driving friend/T a little easier. You learn a lot about the routes believe it or not. I've covered routes and had the same bad addresses that I corrected in the past.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I dunno how clerks can do their job without having any experience of driving. Not because they're not deserving but because it would be tough understanding why and how the drivers do what they do.
I found talking to the drivers to be a tremendous help

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Every year I asked the route drivers who did college campuses for the newest campus listings ( until they went digital ) .
Some Boston area colleges just list the school's building name , and those directories I had made putting the proper address on them easy .

T

Turdferguson

When I was a clerk & an air driver , the skills from each job overlapped .
I did enough address corrections to realize a bad address when I saw one .
Did you know that Australia & the USA use the same zipcodes ?
Cayman islands and Kentucky have the same abbreviation. KY

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I was a clerk & an air driver , the skills from each job overlapped .
I did enough address corrections to realize a bad address when I saw one .
Did you know that Australia & the USA use the same zipcodes ?

Not to minimize the duties of a clerk but dealing with bad addresses is but one small part of a driver's job.

Did you know that we can do ADC's in our DIADs?

oldngray

nowhere special
Every year I asked the route drivers who did college campuses for the newest campus listings ( until they went digital ) .
Some Boston area colleges just list the school's building name , and those directories I had made putting the proper address on them easy .

The clerks knew which drivers to ask about bad addresses. I preloaded about half the routes in the city before I went driving (in another part of the city) and learned about 1/4 more. So clerks and sups would frequently ask me where where packages should go.Several other drivers knew most of the city also. A few just knew their area and nothing else but that was rare.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Problem is a lot of drivers don't know they can.

No.....the problem is a lot of drivers feel that ADC's are "clerk work" and that doing them on road takes money our of our clerk's pocket(books). Our clerk loves that I do ADC's on road. I did two of them today----one of them the consignee had moved (back in 2004) and I knew both their old and new addresses while the other one I was able to clarify the address using my smartphone.

T

Turdferguson

No.....the problem is a lot of drivers feel that ADC's are "clerk work" and that doing them on road takes money our of our clerk's pocket(books). Our clerk loves that I do ADC's on road.
Its infuriating when regular drivers sheet up typos like 554 x street as no such number when it should be 556x street and don't address correct in DIAD, but bring it back to building