What's the deal with FedEx?

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I was covering a pick up route that I have never covered before last night and went to one shipper who ships about 500 pkgs a day with ground, about 300 a day with express, and about 20 a day with ups. I asked the shipping manager why they use ground instead of ups, and he said "UPS s-cks". He said whenever they get a package returned from ups for whatever reason, the packages are destroyed. He went to state that this never happens with fedex, though I am sure he was going a little overboard for my benefit.

the head of sales of our division told me one time that that is the biggest deal killer of all. he says people are willing to pay more for our service and one driver etc if we didnt have as many damages as we do.

You make it sound as if UPS trains drivers to interact with customers. That is not the case at all.
And if you have that much time to interact with customers, then that's great for you.
Most drivers don't !

Yes, the odd conversation does take place, but no driver can afford to do that all day long.
Most of the time it's "gotta go" !

But what if they ask about beer, health care, or how much America sucks?

klein

Für Meno :)
But what if they ask about beer, health care, or how much America sucks?

Yeah, right ! If I hated the US that much, I wouldn't go there. Mexico and Cuba has nicer beaches and is cheaper all way around !
(from $500 all inclusive, meals, drinks, flight, and taxes for a week)

How much do you chat, how the government of the US sucks ? Or Obama sucks, or healthcare sucks (obamacare) ?
We don't discuss healthcare here, we take it for granted.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Mr.7, my comment was meant to be light hearted. "I'm bias" is a joke! At UPS the bidding routine is different from local to local, but where I'm at the route is yours until you decide to leave it. As far as where you live, we do have various residential splits that will travel between various routes.

Anyways to all you X'ers (other than Scam), we are all brothers and sisters in the same fraternity. So do not get so upset about my customers points of view. Also like I have stated many times before The X employee's in my area all seem to be nice people, and yes this even includes those dirty Ground guy's (another joke Mr. 7).

bbsam

Staff member
Mr.7, my comment was meant to be light hearted. "I'm bias" is a joke! At UPS the bidding routine is different from local to local, but where I'm at the route is yours until you decide to leave it. As far as where you live, we do have various residential splits that will travel between various routes.

Anyways to all you X'ers (other than Scam), we are all brothers and sisters in the same fraternity. So do not get so upset about my customers points of view. Also like I have stated many times before The X employee's in my area all seem to be nice people, and yes this even includes those dirty Ground guy's (another joke Mr. 7).

I'm crushed...ok, I'm over it.:happy-very:

FedExer267

I've heard the stories about UPS too however my customers have no problem telling me how much we suck too. When we wont pay a claim or they never know when to expect us or they need two drivers to do a delivery and a pickup. Cracks me up . I feel bad that I cant take their Express however if I did it would sit in my building til they did their pickup the next night and then you have a upset customer. I can hear it know but they FedEx guy took it most of them cant tell the diffrence between us anyways and when you explain it to them they always say the same thing. I dont get it your FEDEX. Confuses the general public alot how many times have you been chased down by someone in a car that tries to hand you a Express or Ground package, depeneding on which driver you are, the customer doesnt see the fine print they just see FedEx. Usually they are upset when you tell them I cant take that.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.

No worries brown.

how many times have you been chased down by someone in a car that tries to hand you a Express or Ground package
I've been chased down and handed UPS packages and mail. LOL.

FedExer267

No worries brown.

I've been chased down by people as well with UPS delivery notices and I had some lady a couple weeks ago try and give me her mail. All you can do is laugh. But more commonly I am chased down by someone with a Express Delivery notice wanting their package or someone with a home delivery notice and when I tell them sorry thats not me they become irritated. I've had people tell me I was just to lazy to walk to the back of the truck and get it which I always reply trust me if I had your package I'd give it to you do you really think any of us want to go back the next day we want the stuff off the truck. I've had people threaten to call FedEx because I was refusing to give them their package even though I explain to them they had a Express notice and I am Ground. I've had people tell me to call that driver because we all come out of the same building and when I tell them I dont know your driver and I come from 40 miles away they tell me I am a liar. I've been cussed out and one guy even tried to get physical with me bottom line we dont get paid enough to deal with this crap. I wish I had old Freds number so these people could call him personally and ask him why he feels the need to confuse everyone.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
As soon as someone comes running at me with a ground door tag, I whip out my orange door tags and show them, "This is what mine look like".

whenIgetthere

No worries brown.

I always get a kick when I open a dropbox and someones mail is there. I had one guy hand me a USPS package once, and I told him we're Fedex, not the USPS. He said he thought USPS, Fedex and UPS were all government services. That kept me laughing for the rest of the night!! LOL

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Yes people never seem to amaze me. This is why under my avatar it says "I'm not the mail man!". If I had a dollar for every time I went to a door and someone answered the door who then turned and yelled into the house that the mail man was there, I would be a rich man. I pick up a letter box and it always has stuff in there for both FDX and the USPS among other things.

Funny thing though is I have people ask me if I have there air or ground packages? I look at them with a look of confusion and explain to them that we are not like FDX and that in fact I have everything. I say we are the "One Stop Shop" of the shipping world. Funny how that works huh.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Funny thing though is I have people ask me if I have there air or ground packages? I look at them with a look of confusion and explain to them that we are not like FDX and that in fact I have everything. I say we are the "One Stop Shop" of the shipping world. Funny how that works huh.

the other day a dr office i del to was looking for an air pkg. I had their ground and air and for some strange reason, the time, to deliver both at the same time. They couldnt believe that i had their normal supplies along with the nda at 930 so much so that she actually tracked the pkg she was looking for to make sure it was the right one. I was like, we're UPS, if they wanted you to get it at 5 they would have used the other guys!!!

FedExer267

the other day a dr office i del to was looking for an air pkg. I had their ground and air and for some strange reason, the time, to deliver both at the same time. They couldnt believe that i had their normal supplies along with the nda at 930 so much so that she actually tracked the pkg she was looking for to make sure it was the right one. I was like, we're UPS, if they wanted you to get it at 5 they would have used the other guys!!!
HAHAHA aint that the truth. Unfortunatley my route covers 5 zipcodes and I have people ask me all the time if I can get there earlier. I usually tell them the best way for them to get their package early is to pick it up at the building or I give them my number and they can come meet me in the morning. I will not get here til regular time. I am not going to shoot out to the end of my route for one customer then turn around and go back and deliver from the begining I would never finish if I did this. Now if I got paid by the hour Id figure out something. The way I look at it if it is that important they could use Express or even UPS. If I got paid by the hour and a benefit package I may be a little more flexible.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Brown, what is an "Air driver" then?
I see this term used by UPSers on this site all the time.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Brown, what is an "Air driver" then?
I see this term used by UPSers on this site all the time.
At UPS this term is in reference to Full-Time drivers that we have that are only there to deliver "Air" packages. An "Air" package to us is any level of next day air, any level of second day air, and International packages. They can deliver "Ground" packages but then their pay will be that of a regular Full-Time driver for that day.
These employees are also available to work on Saturdays and there duties usually involve that of some sort of combo job with the inside.
Hopefully this answers your question, but I'm sure I left something out. Thankfully I have seen Air drivers on here so maybe they will correct me if I'm wrong.