Whats the deal with UPS and hiring?

bones32

I worked for UPS for 4 years until the company I was working at for UPS closed. Ten of us were put on permenant layoff or given the chance to keep our jobs, but we had to quit and get hired back at starting pay and starting seniority. A few of the others had been with UPS for 15+ years. It was a hard pill to swallow because we thought the union would protect us, what little we knew. A few others quit and got rehired because they had families to support and needed to have the benefits. I went to college and got my degree, but I always enjoyed working for UPS. I don't know why, Maybe it has something to do with a sense of belonging to something bigger, I don't know. BUt a long story short, I have just gotten the opportunity to become a Package car driver. I had everything ready to go, but I could not get my application on-line to work and I could not get anyone to help me. now I am told that they may not be hiring me because of the recession.I have put a lot into getting this job, but it feel through again. Is this company worth fighting for? Its thrown me a few curves in my career and I keeping missing. I'm 34 now and trying to get my life on track. The hard work doesn't scare me, I actually enjoyed it. I just dont know what to do? Its not like I'm really Off the street. I worked for UPS for 4 years and would still be there now if things had worked. My goal at UPS was to become a driver and if I would not have gotten layed off I would have 9 years in my now. I know some people don't like people off the street. Would that still apply to me? Or maybe thats whats keeping me out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

drewed

Shankman
Well by the contract youd be the 6th hire (off the street or pt management person) unless they are hiring off the street drivers....
Is the company worth fighting for? that your opinion, youve made up your mind on it, youre just looking for validation.
what did you get a degree in? you may want to fall back on that, because except for a few parts of the country theyre laying off ft service drivers weekly

You have a college degree which is more than 75% of us here. Unless it`s in ancient Mayan language or Bush era economics I would say to run for your life. Save your soul. Flee like you've escaped from the fiery pits of hell.

helenofcalifornia

The UPS that I started to work for a while ago, is way different than the UPS of today. If I was looking for a career today, I would look elsewhere. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will work consistently even if you do get on as a driver. I see lots of drivers laid (layed?) off after Christmas this year. And for months, not weeks.

I would go with the college degree and look for another job. I have said it before, I am glad I started with UPS when I did before all the pencil pushers took over and drove the fun right out of the job. (And you can have fun and do a good job at the same time) All about numbers now. Very serious company these days in a highly competitive world. Can't blame them, it's just not the company I started with.

tritese

tritese
The UPS that I started to work for a while ago, is way different than the UPS of today. If I was looking for a career today, I would look elsewhere. There is absolutely no guarantee that you will work consistently even if you do get on as a driver. I see lots of drivers laid (layed?) off after Christmas this year. And for months, not weeks.

I would go with the college degree and look for another job. I have said it before, I am glad I started with UPS when I did before all the pencil pushers took over and drove the fun right out of the job. (And you can have fun and do a good job at the same time) All about numbers now. Very serious company these days in a highly competitive world. Can't blame them, it's just not the company I started with.
definitely not the same company, i agree. i would run the other way, FAST!

bones32

I really appreciate the advice, it’s hard to figure out when to cut and run sometimes. I have a degree in psychology and a minor in education. The problem with a B.S. degree in this day and age is that it’s worth BS. If you don't have a masters or a DR before your name you can't make a decent living. Even if I would be able to get into grad school, to become a psychologist it’s almost too competitive for the end result. Which is having a job that only pays 45k a year, but you have over 100k in school loans. My other choices are management or teaching, either one doesn't interest me. I guess I grew up hearing about how good a job UPS was, "my uncle worked for UPS for 25 yrs", so I have it in my head that it should be worth the effort. But my UPS was never like my uncles. HR reps were always hard to get a hold of and management seemed to always have their head in their butt and the union is supposed to be this big and powerful thing, but doesn't seem to have any pull when you really need it too. I guess their right when they say you have to spend money to make money.