What's the latest on Amazon?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
IDK - UPS seems so scared now of making a bad business decision that they can't make any good ones.

They do stupid things, that is for sure. But they also have some very smart people in the top infrastructure that are probably taking this seriously and have plans in development.

I'll agree with your statement partially. I think some leadership changes need to happen and our current CEO needs to get back to what made us great before.

That is what would save our future in my opinion.

ups1990

Someone on here once suggested, sorry can't remember what member it was that mentioned that UPS should be its own Amazon. Meaning, the company would join forces with those that sell on Amazon and offer to sell their goods on a UPS sponsored website that would ship exclusively via UPS. In essence, using its wide ranging global shipping network to ship and sell its own products.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Usually when I buy cheap items like that, it is shipped through the post office as it's the cheapest shipping method. Here's my take on what they are probably doing. They ship via the cheapest shipping method possible. Then they take the shipping charges and pad some of the purchasing price with it. Then they take the rest of the shipping and are probably padding it into the purchase price of some of their more expensive items.

That could be correct. It doesn't cost much to mass produce a cable that's made in China and then ship it here via China Post that the Chinese government is subsidizing. Then the seller marks it up significantly for a profit. That's how retail works more or less.

That too is probably a part of the whole answer.
Interesting.. Never thought of that... Adding $ into more expensive items to make up the difference for profit.. Hmmm..

barnyard

KTM rider
The biggest problem that Amazon will have with developing a feeder network if they decide to add power units, will be finding drivers. Unless they go the Walmart route. Walmart actually pays their drivers fairly well, but to keep the numbers lower, they have Swift and Werner also pull a lot of their boxes. Swift and Werner are both driver mills that operate with over 100% driver turnover.

Go further downstairs and read through the FE forum. Drivers are quitting at contractors during a mission critical time of the year. I am see far less service failures here at UPS than I am seeing and hearing about at FE and at the local regional carrier.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Do yourself (and us) a favor and go back to State Farm.
3fa3ab510fb4ae1c294edc3ea44a27b5.jpg

feeder05

UPS just leased a new building and converted it over to just handle trailers, no packaged cars. About 50 unload and load doors. We have 3 Amazon DC's in the area with a 4th possible.

feeder05

Why does everyone think UPS is going some where? Even if Amazon delivers their own goods eventually, UPS has been doing it longer and better than anyone. Fedex Ground was suppose to hit us hard. I am making $35 an hour 26 years later.

beentheredonethat

The biggest problem that Amazon will have with developing a feeder network if they decide to add power units, will be finding drivers. Unless they go the Walmart route. Walmart actually pays their drivers fairly well, but to keep the numbers lower, they have Swift and Werner also pull a lot of their boxes. Swift and Werner are both driver mills that operate with over 100% driver turnover.

Go further downstairs and read through the FE forum. Drivers are quitting at contractors during a mission critical time of the year. I am see far less service failures here at UPS than I am seeing and hearing about at FE and at the local regional carrier.
A company like amazon has another option. Set up a a shell company similar to a SWIFT. Hire a few of their current\retired mgmt team as well as bring over some of their own and Walmarts logisitics team (Walmart has some of the best). Hire Contractors and pay them x% more then SWIFT, where x is whatever it takes to hire a sufficient number of contracted drivers and have a lower turnover rate, whether that is 10% more or 50% more or somewhere in between. They can supplement as needed with the SWFT and Werner type companies as needed. This would still be cheaper then hiring their own employees and the reliability that they would want.

beentheredonethat

While this would never be a reality due to lack of competition, I would like to see the two get together and jointly agree to discontinue any discounts that Amazon receives if they do indeed set up their own delivery network.
That would be collusion and that would be illegal. However either company could say we will only give you x% discount vs what they get now. Amazon wouldn't sign or if they did, wouldn't use us.
We have already had companies like Toys R Us who ship 10x during peak as what they ship at other times of year come to us for additional discounts. We analyzed their rates, their impact us on peak. Not also did we say no to additional rates, we increased their rates.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I am completely serious.

It is a little known fact that UPS helped Amazon get off the ground. Now they want to turn around and deliver their own packages? Charge them full retail.
I'm going to agree here. I remember when Amazon started. They forgot that we helped build them up. Zappos (before they were bought by Amazon) actually acknowledged us for helping get so big. The founder of Zappos wrote in his book about it. I'm pretty sure when he sold Zappos to Amazon, one of the clauses in the sale was the continued relationship with ups. I'm pretty sure I read that in an article about them.

Dave is right. They want to be the next ups? Well we need to charge them more now. They know if we did, they would hurt. That's why they are pushing fast to develop their networks.

Ups and fedex need to be stricter with them. Amazon has no where to go with the volume. The USPS and regional carriers and their own network couldn't handle it for one day. Amazon has done the numbers on this

AutoZone

BrownPower
It's coming...

Attachments

• 1449459777277.jpg
    1449459777277.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 1449459794300.jpg
    1449459794300.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 1449459806956.jpg
    1449459806956.jpg