What's the latest on Amazon?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Was having a conversation with one of our Ops Managers this past week about us marketing our service like a commodity. The supply and demand formula. Amazon came up and he said they account for 13% of out volume. I was blown away cause the way the sky is falling crowd talk, they're all we deliver. Bottom line is there are no free lunches and I for one think it's long over due that people should except that fact.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
While this would never be a reality due to lack of competition, I would like to see the two get together and jointly agree to discontinue any discounts that Amazon receives if they do indeed set up their own delivery network.
The fines the DOJ would hand down would knock your socks off.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Guess you better sign up State Farm jake. You have a better chance of being a driver for Amazon then ups in the time frame you think.
Hey now, he once worked here for 4 years. That makes a difference......

xTAi5.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Was having a conversation with one of our Ops Managers this past week about us marketing our service like a commodity. The supply and demand formula. Amazon came up and he said they account for 13% of out volume. I was blown away cause the way the sky is falling crowd talk, they're all we deliver. Bottom line is there are no free lunches and I for one think it's long over due that people should except that fact.

We were told that Amazon accounts for 7% of our volume.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Guess you better sign up State Farm jake. You have a better chance of being a driver for Amazon then ups in the time frame you think.
I'll definitely think about it since it seems 5-7 months is about the time frame guys are getting called to go to drive school, and on the road as tcd's.. Have to be able to make myself available when needed.. This sounds like it would provide the flexibility to be able to do that. I'm pretty sure they're just out there cause of peak... But still, to be able to get that call after all the time I've previously put in, would be fantastic. :) and hopefully I'll be on the road by next peak.

Faceplanted

One thing not taken into account is the fact that Amazon has the ability to not only ship its own packages but I foresee them offering a fourth option besides ups FedEx and usps that will provide faster and better service.

Amazon will be using these trailers to move packages from their hubs to sub contractor warehouses such as lasership and who ever else gets involved. The more companies they get on board to use their shipping service the lower their cost becomes and the profit they can make.

So let's say Amazon sets up a decent network and stops using ups. If they truly do account for 13% of our volume, and manage to take away another 7-12 percent of our other customers due to lower cost and better service, that is 20-25 percent of our volume. That is huge, 2-3 out of every 10 drives can be layed off.

Keep sleeping on Amazon everybody, you will be in for a rude awakening. I personally feel a lot of this has to do with our terrible service we have been providing the past 3 years especially during peak, Amazon is not the only un satisfied customer. This chase of profits at the cost of service will the downfall of this company.

AutoZone

BrownPower
One thing not taken into account is the fact that Amazon has the ability to not only ship its own packages but I foresee them offering a fourth option besides ups FedEx and usps that will provide faster and better service.

Amazon will be using these trailers to move packages from their hubs to sub contractor warehouses such as lasership and who ever else gets involved. The more companies they get on board to use their shipping service the lower their cost becomes and the profit they can make.

So let's say Amazon sets up a decent network and stops using ups. If they truly do account for 13% of our volume, and manage to take away another 7-12 percent of our other customers due to lower cost and better service, that is 20-25 percent of our volume. That is huge, 2-3 out of every 10 drives can be layed off.

Keep sleeping on Amazon everybody, you will be in for a rude awakening. I personally feel a lot of this has to do with our terrible service we have been providing the past 3 years especially during peak, Amazon is not the only un satisfied customer. This chase of profits at the cost of service will the downfall of this company.
Well said..

Then when someone goes online to buy something, they'll have the amazon shipping method over UPS and FedEx.. Amazon is super popular right now.. And this day and age, people choose popular vs the latter.. It'll be cool for people to say they got a delivery from the amazon guy... Instead of the UPS guy. Guarantee the unions are going to try to get up in there!

oldngray

nowhere special
People don't care who delivers their Amazon. Their first priority is cost followed by speed. What uniform they wear is way down the list.

Faceplanted

The sub contracting model Amazon uses will allow for no chance of the Union getting in. They are positioning them selves in a great spot to allow them to be a shipping giant in the next 5 years

AutoZone

BrownPower
The sub contracting model Amazon uses will allow for no chance of the Union getting in. They are positioning them selves in a great spot to allow them to be a shipping giant in the next 5 years
I don't believe the DOT will allow the model tho.. Just like there's heavy fines and lawsuits for uber... I think it may force Amazon to employ vs. Subcontract.. And once that happens, you better believe the local will be in the parking lot petitioning..

Faceplanted

FedEx ground uses the same model and have no problems. Besides that the potential lobbying fund Amazon can afford will combat any problems capital hill might cause is huge

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'll definitely think about it since it seems 5-7 months is about the time frame guys are getting called to go to drive school, and on the road as tcd's.. Have to be able to make myself available when needed.. This sounds like it would provide the flexibility to be able to do that. I'm pretty sure they're just out there cause of peak... But still, to be able to get that call after all the time I've previously put in, would be fantastic. :) and hopefully I'll be on the road by next peak.

Yeah you won't be but thanks for playing. You've got many years before you'll even be a seasonal driver. That's if they hire you on after peak being that seasonal now under the southern supplement.