Whats the latest on the contract

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
By letting them know..dont take the penny today, when It may be a 5 dollar bill...down the road! When your young, health care and pension, may not seem important...But life changes fast!
agreed...can't sell out our finincial future for 70 cents...money that you're going to get anyway...eventually. But many of them don't know, don't care and thus...don't vote. I wonder nationally, what percentage of PTers actually voted. They can't see the forest for the trees.

Rainman

Its all good.
agreed...can't sell out our finincial future for 70 cents...money that you're going to get anyway...eventually. But many of them don't know, don't care and thus...don't vote. I wonder nationally, what percentage of PTers actually voted. They can't see the forest for the trees.
Most of the part timers who aren't voting don't plan on being here for long. It's not till you invest a few years that you really start to care.

Sent using BrownCafe App

UPSGUY72

Actually, Ohio and the PA's don't want to go into Teamcare. They want to stay in the company plan. I think they don't understand that's not an option.
I thought teamcare language was in the national contract that has already be ratified by a simple majority and can't be changed

As a side note, everybody had the chance to get into the western region health care, which is better than teamcare; and everybody but NJ L177(as far as business agents), thumbed their nose at it.
Not true some areas have been in a Union run health plan for years that was better than the company run plan...

Worldport (89) got all the equipment and extra stations they asked for, and now the president or ST has come back wanting more. Not too honest in my book

Honest or bright...

UPSGUY72

Most of the part timers who aren't voting don't plan on being here for long. It's not till you invest a few years that you really start to care.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Some people will never really care whether they are FT or PT as long as they are getting a pay check.

govols019

You smell that?
Mildly irritated sure

I have a large paycheck owed to me, and there is no indication of when I will receive that. Sounds reasonable enough to be a little irritated dont you think?

I too have back pay coming...We'll get it. The longer it takes the bigger the check. Nothing to get irritated about.

Irishman Collins

Figurehead, well said. I guess the biggest concern for us "5%ers" is the letter Mr. Hoffa wrote to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reed whereas he states that with the current Affordable Care Act in it's present state. Taft Hartley Plans such as Teamcare will be "unsustainable". So we will fight the good fight for all Teamsters and keep voting No untill we have protection from the A.C.A..

Sent using BrownCafe App

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

I don't know pt vote rate. But,the 22% who voted on the entire contract is embarrassing for a union

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I think many are forgetting that retro check will be taxed. I'm a FT driver who has put in some serious hours and I'm not expecting that check to be anything life changing.

It will be taxed just like every other pay check and no higher. It is contractually forbidden to tax "green" checks at a higher rate like they used to be.

bluebiker

Actually, Ohio and the PA's don't want to go into Teamcare. They want to stay in the company plan. I think they don't understand that's not an option.
As a side note, everybody had the chance to get into the western region health care, which is better than teamcare; and everybody but NJ L177(as far as business agents), thumbed their nose at it.
Worldport (89) got all the equipment and extra stations they asked for, and now the president or ST has come back wanting more. Not too honest in my book

I thought one of the things 89 was holding out for was pay for waiting for the shuttle. I can fully understand that, after walking to the "in gate" then spending 30-45 min waiting/riding on the shuttle then entering the building to get to your work area, then repeating the whole thing at the end of the day?

Spend 1 and 1/2 hours for a 3 1/2 hr. part time job?
Or even if you are full time spending almost 10hrs for 8hrs pay?

Ashell

and (in theory) keeps the company from trying to pit local against local.

That is exactly what they are doing, it is pitting ignorant people that just want a little extra money, against people that want keep the same level of health care. IMO the raise is the best card we have at the table, because until that passes new hires can make more at other places. UPS can't hire and keep new workers, then if we miss service on millions of packages next Christmas the customer goes to another shipper. So many people want it, and it seems like nothing at the same time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
That is exactly what they are doing, it is pitting ignorant people that just want a little extra money, against people that want keep the same level of health care. IMO the raise is the best card we have at the table, because until that passes new hires can make more at other places. UPS can't hire and keep new workers, then if we miss service on millions of packages next Christmas the customer goes to another shipper. So many people want it, and it seems like nothing at the same time.

You've got a good point -- retention keeps slipping and sliding at my hub; they can't get warm bodies in off the street fast enough and I've been getting 35-40 hours a week as a PT'er since mid-January. If minimum wage goes up to $10.10/hr, it's going to get even worse. Who would want to sling boxes and get screamed at for minimum wage and 20 hours a week when you could flip burgers for the same wage in the AC and get a free Big Mac at the end of your shift?

I disagree on the health care issue, though. I feel that holding up the supplements solely on TeamCare is the wrong move; healthcare was covered in the National Master Agreement and it (barely) passed. The influx of roughly 140,000 (minus Local 177 and the Western Conference now) Teamsters with industry leading H&W contributions into CS H&W will improve the lot of Teamsters in other industries.

That being said, Teamsters in Local 89 have every right to vote down that sham "last, best, and final" offer that was even worse than what UPS originally proposed. Riding a shuttle for 30-45 minutes day without being paid when you have a 3 hour/day guarantee sounds like a raw deal. The same applies to Teamsters in Ohio who haven't really seen any changes to their Rider that was voted down previously.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
There's also a big issue with parity. UPS isn't going to give Ohio/West PA/Louisville/Philly anything economically significant in comparison with the other supplements as far as wages and fringe benefits are concerned. IBT also doesn't want to "reward" the dissidents in those areas for voting down their supplements and holding up a national contract. But there could be some big compromises on language.

Personally, I think the focus should be on clearing up the mess with 22.3 jobs. Negotiate the right to force the company to maintain the same level of combo jobs in the same facility/local, require that they be bid out within 30 days of vacancy, and keep them from playing the shell game where a job opens up and it gets hidden somewhere halfway across the country.

2,350 new combo jobs doesn't mean :censored2: with the current language we have.