What's the proper procedure when u can't find a package?

brownsoccer

Especially if it's early in the route. Do u go to the communications button on the diad and a message back to the center that it's not found on truck or do u just continue on and hope to find it later. Then if u do send a message not found and then find it later do u have to go back and deliver it or can u just leave it on truck?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The proper procedure is to send an ODS with the tracking number to the center letting them know that you can't find it. You would then follow up if you end up finding the package later in the day.

billerz

I send a message saying missing a pkg for so and so. If I find it later I make service on it. Don't just leave it in the truck, you can get in a lot of trouble for that.

Re-Raise

If you record it as not found it comes out of your EDD.

I don't do this because if someone else finds it on their truck and sends in a misload message, I like to know it.

If the package is still in your EDD, you will get a screen that says the package was found in another location.

DOK

The proper procedure is to send an ODS with the tracking number to the center letting them know that you can't find it. You would then follow up if you end up finding the package later in the day.
Same, but I don't send the tracking number, they have it right in front of them on the computer screen, they can see the one you're missing.

nystripe96

It's so much different where I work. Since I work in downtown Brooklyn my route is very condensed. My on route miles total a measly 2-3miles daily so if I can't find a package I just wait till the end of the day, or just walk it back lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's so much different where I work. Since I work in downtown Brooklyn my route is very condensed. My on route miles total a measly 2-3miles daily so if I can't find a package I just wait till the end of the day, or just walk it back lol

We're not that much different. I average 45-50 miles but my route is fairly dense and if I can't find one in the morning I usually drive by there in the afternoon. The only time it sucks is if I am missing one for Walmart as going back there is a pain in the butt.

Brisket

Did not know that. Thanks for the tip. It sucks having to write down the tracking number only to have to reenter it.

Here when you send a misload message , the next screen you have to scan the package and simply answer if you can deliver it or not.

Someone usually calls you later to find out where you will be to meet you and take it from you.

Especially if it's early in the route. Do u go to the communications button on the diad and a message back to the center that it's not found on truck or do u just continue on and hope to find it later. Then if u do send a message not found and then find it later do u have to go back and deliver it or can u just leave it on truck?
Yes

opey

spend 10 minutes digging, finally give up and move on. find package in wrong section 30 mins later. curse.

i set it as not found under details so it comes off the board and off orion, and thats it. hope not to find it later, if i do then it has to get delivered. never have sent a msg or have been told to or heard of anyone sending a msg for a missing pkg

rod

Retired 22 years

That's amazing. I probably got 2 or 3 miles a day just cruising around the parking lot of the coffee shop looking for a good place to park it for an hour.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No reason to send a message about a not found unless it's a business saver, to cover your ass in case you find it after 3.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We used to send messages but after awhile you'd be asked why you didn't send them in and the OMS admittly would say we didn't have time to write them down.

Follow up and consequences for failure to follow through in job activities is at the top of the list for the reasons Roswell Center sucks balls right now.

This goes for management and drivers.