Whats the protocol?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I was one of 3 hired off the street during a period of growth. One of the three tragically died in an airplane accident. The remaining two got our seniority within a year. The other has since left the company leaving myself as the only one of that group remaining. I am currently #9 on the center seniority list, ahead of two other drivers who have more company seniority than I do as they chose the more traditional route of PT to FT. At the time I was hired the ratio was either 2:1 or 3:1.

UPS was the furthest thing from my mind when I got out of the service in 1989. I was really hoping to find a job where I could use my degree but 6 months of sending out resumes produced zero results. I called a friend who I had been stationed with here when I got back in to town and he told me that he was working at UPS (also an outside hire) and that I should apply. I did and the rest is history.

I am not going to apologize for applying and being hired for an open position with one of the most reputable companies in the world. They took a chance on me and I have repaid that tenfold. I have no control over their hiring practices or whether the union sold out the PTers by allowing outside hires.
You did what you needed to do and you were in the right place at the right time. No one can fault you for that. I hired on as preload and worked less than 10 mos before going full time. Right place, right time.

Packmule

If it was left in the walk path, I wouldn't worry about it. It wasn't hit by the truck, it's not an accident. A complaint at most, whoopie.