Whats the rule for sending people home?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
some say "seniority gives you the right to work, but doesn't give you the right to not work"

that's garbage, seniority is seniority. top down, bottom up.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I have been volunteering to go home all week to no avail. I have pulled my seniority several times to go home when we have an extra driver. Its been hard to get a day off lately due to the heavy Summer vacation schedule.

iruhnman630

Strict contract compliance says seniority works. However few people complain when seniority is given the option of going home that day.

Our building, with 3 centers, went the strict seniority route the first part of the year. It lasted a few months, but people really wanted their random days off back. We're back to seniority choice now.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
this is how i operated for my belt in preload

anything else just creates drama or grievances
just my opinion here, totally agree. It's necessary drama though, as it is absurd to follow seniority for a list of other things - forced layoffs, vacations, bidding, scheduled personal days - yet not not follow for that one little thing.

Maybe this is a reasonable issue for the upcoming contract negotiations. ;)

Walk the line

Lately it seems to be a numbers game. If you run scratch or better then the other driver, you will more than likely be working. Unless you burn up an option day. If you dont run scratch or better the driver with the lower over allowed ends up working...just my observation.

BigBeef42

I kind of agree with - first come first served. It can seem like it sometimes. You gotta be staring right at the supe when he/she realizes they need to send someone home or bring someone on. Short attention span, hehehehe. jk.

bumped

You are saying that who arrives the most prior to start time has the option?

I mean the 1st one that asks gets it. I also have no problem with seniority, except when the same person will take off 3 times in the same week while others don't get a chance.

I won't go home if I'm even on my way to work. If I have to get up, get ready, drive 60 miles round trip, I'm not taking the day off.

slantnosechevy

Remember when they bragged that they'll know everything by 10pm the night before and the dispatch coordinator will have a handle on everything. We still have chaos every morning in most buildings and supervisors act like the feeders just rolled in. Add cuts at 8:15, misloads on 80% of the cars, pocket dispatches with drivers passing each other on the same streets, and cars still setting after everyone has left the building because they let too many drivers off. I love when a plan comes together.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Why go home and take a no pay? If I'm not working I'm using an option day and you won't see my tail anywhere near the hub. Needless to say I still have 5 of my 7 option 3 days available. The way I look at it is if you take a no pay now you add it on the back end of your career. I want to obtain as much money in as little time as I can so I can GTFO while folks who take 3 days off a week are forced to be here into their 60's.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Why go home and take a no pay? If I'm not working I'm using an option day and you won't see my tail anywhere near the hub. Needless to say I still have 5 of my 7 option 3 days available. The way I look at it is if you take a no pay now you add it on the back end of your career. I want to obtain as much money in as little time as I can so I can GTFO while folks who take 3 days off a week are forced to be here into their 60's.
There are no guarantees. That we will live to be 60s, that there will be money left even if we were to save every penny, and so on. It is possible to save your entire life and never enjoy a dime and miss out on a lot of things. It is easy to take things for granted, jmo. I tend to look at it the opposite of your point of view. Besides, until technology advances a touch further, no one is born to become younger. ;)

What'dyabringmetoday???

Actually, there are guarantees- eight hours each day and forty hours each week for full-timers. Of course, most people these days seem to forget what was won for them many years ago. Of course, the company is not aware of this, right?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, there are guarantees- eight hours each day and forty hours each week for full-timers. Of course, most people these days seem to forget what was won for them many years ago. Of course, the company is not aware of this, right?

The guarantees sleeve spoke of are not in the contract. There is no guarantee that any of us will live long enough to enjoy the retirement we have all worked so hard for. Do you remember R.C.--he died within 6 months of retiring. Live for today as no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

That being said--I do not like "dead days" . (pun somewhat intended) We get 4 personal and 5 sick days and I think we should have to use all of our paid days before we can take an unpaid day. It is not fair when someone who has paid days left and takes regular dead days is given a day off over someone who does not take dead days and has days left.