whats up with the no-call no-shows?

Overpaid Union Thug

No, it's a product of a low-paying, demanding job with an obscene amount of turn over and the company's unwillingness to enforce discipline.

The company doesn't enforce discipline for two reasons. One being that most buildings desperately need the manning due to the turnover you mentioned and are willing to overlook some of the infractions as long as those that NCNS will show up the other days of the week. The second reason is that many management teams just don't want to waste time on a disciplinary action that in the end will only lead to those that are being disciplined going back to their old ways once the union gets their job back. If they are even fired at all.

Piedmont steward has it right. NCNS and attendance issues are bi-products of poor management follow through. The problem becomes that the jobs are so undesirable now for the rate of pay- given working graveyard shifts, poor working conditions and of course said poor management...that there are just too many cases and UPS can't discipline and/or fire half of the shift.

Even some of the extreme examples of NCNS I have seen, UPS doesn't follow through with (one employee was late 150 times and NCNS 70 times in a single year, still had a job!)

NCNSs are the result of individual lack of work ethic. Nothing more. Nothing less. Other than death or unconsciousness there is absolutely no reason on this Earth why someone shouldn't at least let someone on their management team know that they won't be coming to work. NONE. It's actually pathetic if you really think about it.

mikeny

Service Provider
I work pre-load, and their are a few guys who dont show up at least once a week, and another dude who only shows up consistently 2 days of the week. which means guys like me who are always there for duty, get are asses handed to us to pick up the slack. then when they do show up they never get even asked what happened, any sort of repremand. They show up and its like the managers couldnt care less. I know its pretty hard to get fired from the union. But this happens all the time. I just dont get it. Does this happen to anybody else, is this a common thing for the main unload in other hubs. I always thought no-call no-shows were pretty much gauranteed to be canned.

same thing goes on in my HUB, but they do get talked to once they come into work. i have personal experience with it...when i first started working here, sometimes i would over sleep and my shift would be 3/4 over already. and sometimes would get yelled at the next day and threatened to get written up. but that was a long time ago, now i never miss a day of work unless i'm on vacation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The company doesn't enforce discipline for two reasons. One being that most buildings desperately need the manning due to the turnover you mentioned and are willing to overlook some of the infractions as long as those that NCNS will show up the other days of the week. The second reason is that many management teams just don't want to waste time on a disciplinary action that in the end will only lead to those that are being disciplined going back to their old ways once the union gets their job back. If they are even fired at all.

NCNSs are the result of individual lack of work ethic. Nothing more. Nothing less. Other than death or unconsciousness there is absolutely no reason on this Earth why someone shouldn't at least let someone on their management team know that they won't be coming to work. NONE. It's actually pathetic if you really think about it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

I absolutely agree with you. One of the few things I won't defend a member over as a steward is attendance, unless there's some sort of emergency circumstance or Act of God.

Progressive discipline works on attendance, it's simply laziness/apathy on the parts of many managers that lets workers rack up obscene amounts of no-calls/missed days. Union members typically don't come back from attendance terminations more than once.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Agreed, there's no excuse for consistent NCNSs....but it's just as pathetic when management allows it to happen and does little about it. It's the same way with lateness in my center...certain people are routinely 15-20min late 3x a week..they do nothing about it, but expect the rest of us to help the late guy catch up. Yeah, I'll get right on that....

Whargoul

The preload at my hub has so many people that show up late/ call - in's/ no show's it's horrible! I've never worked at a place where they were this lenient with attendance. Now, it really doesn't bother me because I show up everyday and on time. My sup usually has me fill in for the people who decide to not show up and I do an excellent job and get complemented on my work regularly. So really I just make it into a positive thing. Yeah, I do hate picking up the slack for people but it only makes me stand out from the crowd.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The preload at my hub has so many people that show up late/ call - in's/ no show's it's horrible! I've never worked at a place where they were this lenient with attendance. Now, it really doesn't bother me because I show up everyday and on time. My sup usually has me fill in for the people who decide to not show up and I do an excellent job and get complemented on my work regularly. So really I just make it into a positive thing. Yeah, I do hate picking up the slack for people but it only makes me stand out from the crowd.

Just out of curiousity...does our new ghoul have the same IP as anyone else?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I work in a building that does not provide any vacation cover for the oms staff .
I also have a union co-worker ( who shows up for as little as 30 mins ) that has earned the nickname B-Sue .
He claims that he is to injured to do his pm air run and will help at the CC when he can . Unless one of his kids is playing sports or he is to tired from working his ( also ) union full time job .
Mgt has attempted to fire him , but he keeps claiming that he is covered by the Family Leave Act .
And he is known to bring his own lawyer to any sit downs .

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I have no problem with the ncns people I work with. If mgt won't deal with it, why should it bother me? I work by the hour & avg. 23-25 hours a week. That's the whole reason I work, my wife enjoys the $.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Oh really? It seems like you cannot get complemented or satisfied management without killing yourself at this darn place. If your back isn't killing you after finished working, you haven't done a good job in the eyes of management.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Oh really? It seems like you cannot get complemented or satisfied management without killing yourself at this darn place. If your back isn't killing you after finished working, you haven't done a good job in the eyes of management.
Ahhh...newbie comments. Quit whining, you haven't even broken your PEAK cherry yet....the fun never stops at brown lol.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the company and management do not care if people NCNS, then it has nothing to do with an individual's lack of work ethic. I has to do with the job; where the owners don't care if people show up. If you allow something to happen and there are no consequences, then it is allowable behavior. This has nothing to do with poor work ethic.

Whargoul

I just show up and do what needs to be done, the way they want it done without complaining too much. I try not to work too hard though because they always give me more to do.

cynic

If the company and management do not care if people NCNS, then it has nothing to do with an individual's lack of work ethic. I has to do with the job; where the owners don't care if people show up. If you allow something to happen and there are no consequences, then it is allowable behavior. This has nothing to do with poor work ethic.

BINGO!! There are PT sup's on our sort that do nothing when people NCNS - people in my area have a 4-day workweek and at times it seems probable they coordinate their NCNS so no 2 are out at the same time. Acceptable behavior based on the (in)ability of the PT sup to provide any type of consequence. The inmates run the prison.

:surprised:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

You are a riot ... after 5 years I've finally begun to think you are actually serious ... I'm still not sure.

I think it has more to do with an excuse/reason for the part-time sup to work making the numbers look better.

Overpaid Union Thug

Nope. Still a work ethic issue. Management isn't forcing them to be a NCNS scumbag. Personal responsibility matters. Some supervisors just don't want to waste time on progressive discipline so that's why they do nothing. Either way we as employees know we are supposed to be at work everyday. And everyone should pickup a phone and call if they can't make it in for God's sake.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think it has more to do with an excuse/reason for the part-time sup to work making the numbers look better.
You hit the nail on the head right there.

Southern Supplement Art. 46 Sect 3(a)
However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary to complete that day’s (or night’s) work schedule.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You hit the nail on the head right there.

Southern Supplement Art. 46 Sect 3(a)
However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary to complete that day’s (or night’s) work schedule.

Yep, worked 40 years ago and 30 years ago and 20 years ago ... some things are rock solid and live forever.