whats up with the no-call no-shows?

ZJ NOMAD

Yes, the company does allow employees to NCNS - for a couple good reasons that benefit the company. I agree Hoaxster, I have seen sup. asking hourlies if they want to go home early, even though there is a bunch of NCNS, I have also seen sups sending people home after their guarantee, even though there is a lot of work to wrap up the night. This creates a shortage of workers so you see a bunch sups working after to finish the night.

Management also has teamster hourlies by the balls if they know that you have a really bad NCNS problem - how you ask? Let's just say if you grievance for any reason, slow it down, fight seniority, act rebelious against management, or any other reason that makes managemnt mad - they then have the upper hand and can get you in big trouble depending on the severity of the NCNS's.

That is why it's good to keep a good track record with the company, because you (teamster) has the upper hand in doing all the stuff I mentioned above without retaliation.

cynic

You hit the nail on the head right there.

Southern Supplement Art. 46 Sect 3(a)
However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary to complete that day’s (or night’s) work schedule.

So if the first line of management an hourly interfaces with (PT Sup's) chooses not to enforce progressive discipline to make numbers, I still contend it means the PT Sup's consider it acceptable behavior. Period. They have let NCNS become so rampant (in our hub) it will take them quite some time to start attempting to begin to do their job and act like they have clue #1 about HR policies.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes, the company does allow employees to NCNS - for a couple good reasons that benefit the company. I agree Hoaxster, I have seen sup. asking hourlies if they want to go home early, even though there is a bunch of NCNS, I have also seen sups sending people home after their guarantee, even though there is a lot of work to wrap up the night. This creates a shortage of workers so you see a bunch sups working after to finish the night.

Management also has teamster hourlies by the balls if they know that you have a really bad NCNS problem - how you ask? Let's just say if you grievance for any reason, slow it down, fight seniority, act rebelious against management, or any other reason that makes managemnt mad - they then have the upper hand and can get you in big trouble depending on the severity of the NCNS's.

That is why it's good to keep a good track record with the company, because you (teamster) has the upper hand in doing all the stuff I mentioned above without retaliation.

How did you get a copy of The Tactical Guide for the UPS Supervisor?
This is proprietary, unpublished information not available to the general public.
​I am reporting this to Cheryl to be deleted.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
That Southern Supplement language is some of the worst in any supplement, barring the 17(i) caveat in the Central Region.

That being said, if an hourly can't take the time to call in an hour before the sort (as is contractually required) then there isn't much the union should do for them. If a union member wants to bang out four days a week and bring home a $50 check while he smokes dope on his parents' couch in the basement, that's cool with me. But NCNS are ****ing other members out of hours they might want or need.

That same wastoid member needs to be calling in an hour before the sort so the company cannot use the staffing excuse (NCNS and general attendance are still used as an excuse for supervisors working in my area) if other employees are available for double shifts. That one hour time frame was presumably agreed upon because it's more than enough time for the FT supervisor to get permission from the sort manager for OT and then blow the dust off the double shifting list. It's taken us a while to force the company to do so in my hub, but it's become a semi-regular thing and I don't have much sympathy for an hourly not giving their supervisor the one hour notice before calling out with the exception of a genuine emergency.

cynic

If you work the Night or Sunrise sorts there is no way to call in an hour in advance. There is no one in the hub to answer the phone an hour in advance. EVER. There is no voice mail set up on any of the hub phones including the center manager's. Calling your supervisor (alleged) does not count.

So by design the "call in" system is guaranteed to fail in that an hourly cannot call in an hour in advance of their shift.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you work the Night or Sunrise sorts there is no way to call in an hour in advance. There is no one in the hub to answer the phone an hour in advance. EVER. There is no voice mail set up on any of the hub phones including the center manager's. Calling your supervisor (alleged) does not count.

So by design the "call in" system is guaranteed to fail in that an hourly cannot call in an hour in advance of their shift.
I have heard (and seen) this, too. They'll turn off the msg machine and ignore phones on days that are heavy and they're expecting book-offs, poor wx, super bowl, etc. so people feel compelled to come into work rather than to book off. It's not very professional of a "world class company".

ZJ NOMAD

I have heard (and seen) this, too. They'll turn off the msg machine and ignore phones on days that are heavy and they're expecting book-offs, poor wx, super bowl, etc. so people feel compelled to come into work rather than to book off. It's not very professional of a "world class company".

It does not matter whether you call in or NCNS it is still an occassion, and if you have a few to many they (company) will professionally get rid of you, when they professionally choose too.

if you need to miss on superbowl sunday make sure you have very little occassions. if answering machine is off tell them it was off.

I truly believe that they go based of how many occassions you have rather than if you called in or not, when they have to discipline.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

It's effective though.
When you deal with people who are so defeatist they can barely get out of bed without the village helping them, you sink to their level.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
It's effective though.
When you deal with people who are so defeatist they can barely get out of bed without the village helping them, you sink to their level.
Where I am, I've seen supes go pick up a couple of the defeated, if they try to call out.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Had a guy no call no show for about a month. Then one day, he answered his phone. Came to work and nothing was done to him ever. He worked for about a month and he quit.

Leadership doesnt care too much about anything, unless its stealing. I've seen PT get away with murder, yet they treat them better then the guys who pull their weight and then some. It always seem they favor those who suck, so they can promote them. As in send them to driving school, and I see it as their hope to change that persons work ethic. Yet, they remain the same type of worker. To me its a waste of 3k$.

Over all, its management that causes all their own problems. Thus they rely on us to fix them. If they could actually have leadership skills, which non of them have, perhaps they could make this a better environment for everyone. Yet they only oil the wheels for those above them, which they only care about. At UPS, its a slick of ass kissing one rung up after another.

Theres only one FT sup I know cared about the people. And thats after many have come and gone.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Had a guy no call no show for about a month. Then one day, he answered his phone. Came to work and nothing was done to him ever. He worked for about a month and he quit.

Leadership doesnt care too much about anything, unless its stealing. I've seen PT get away with murder, yet they treat them better then the guys who pull their weight and then some. It always seem they favor those who suck, so they can promote them. As in send them to driving school, and I see it as their hope to change that persons work ethic. Yet, they remain the same type of worker. To me its a waste of 3k$.

Over all, its management that causes all their own problems. Thus they rely on us to fix them. If they could actually have leadership skills, which non of them have, perhaps they could make this a better environment for everyone. Yet they only oil the wheels for those above them, which they only care about. At UPS, its a slick of ass kissing one rung up after another.

Theres only one FT sup I know cared about the people. And thats after many have come and gone.

I don't believe you can change someone's work ethic when they have nothing to lose (repercussions) and they are being paid by the hours.
You just can't. It's more benefiticial to be a slacker than a go-harder, fact!