Whats up with the Preload?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Call me selfish--I don't care--but the preloader for MY area is MY preloader and I will work with him to ensure that he becomes the best loader in the building. This will not only benefit ME but will benefit MY cover drivers.

The delivery area that I bid is also MINE and I will work to do the best job that I can for MY customers on my area.

That's just how I roll.

I didn't ask.

As a preloader I'll try my best to load the car in a neat and well ordered manner but sometimes its nearly impossible with the amount of flow on our belt(Union rep is nearly extinct). I'm cool with the usual drivers I'm set up with but sometimes they will get swapped out for these jerky drivers who have no idea and just complain complain complain. Sure dude, I'm going to sit in the car and organize all your packages and in exchange stack out and/or let packages go by on the belt. What do I get out of it? Nothing.

So deal with it driver and continue making your $$$$ while I continue my studies and get the hell out of here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a preloader I'll try my best to load the car in a neat and well ordered manner but sometimes its nearly impossible with the amount of flow on our belt(Union rep is nearly extinct). I'm cool with the usual drivers I'm set up with but sometimes they will get swapped out for these jerky drivers who have no idea and just complain complain complain. Sure dude, I'm going to sit in the car and organize all your packages and in exchange stack out and/or let packages go by on the belt. What do I get out of it? Nothing.

So deal with it driver and continue making your $$$$ while I continue my studies and get the hell out of here.

Remind me not to transfer to your center.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'll admit, a lot of the preloaders here really do stink at their job. The sad part, I know I'm getting twice and some days 3 times as much as other loaders do everyday of the week. I get on sups about this because its bs, because I usally get picked out of the horde to go and help those preloaders.

It isnt hard to load by the account numbers. It should be too easy. An average preloader, most of the time, considers themselves just that a preloader, not a loader. A preloader see it as a pre and not a load. The load is up to the driver.

Thats the problem, really. No imagenation into what should be an easy job of placing packages on shelves or the floor together neatly or in order.

Recently, a higher up came into the building demanding each preloader get 227 pph. This will require each loader get more time on the clock and average 900 a night while pulling out 3 packages per cage. The problem you see now ladies and gentelman, is only going to get worse. The ones that cant cope now will do even a worse job. Sure more time to do it in, but these loaders here ( and I am sure at your place as well) will find a way to even mess that up.

The problem is in dispatch, and it is also with the sups too. They lack the knowhow of what it takes to preload. UPS needs to fire more of them, and give us more time to take our time, not the other way around.

If you're going to be negative to your preloader, you might as well try something else first. Give your preloader a drink or a few bucks now and again. If that doesnt work, then complain. To tell you the truth, the smart ones do a bad job so they can get an easier job. I see it all the time. Try the postive first, then talk to your sup or steward.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

Oh I feel ya.

There are some drivers that get a whole stop neat and nice on a shelf, while the preloader takes an ereg of the same stop and places it on the floor smart label face up and written on boldly and the drive misses it and writes it up as a missload. Some drivers, too many from small short in my opinion, dont understand the job. Got it too easy in the past, want it even easier today while maken buku mad bucks.

I had a driver that would give me a hard time about having to load his car because I couldnt wrap up in time. He gets pulled back into the building because of DUI back in Febuary, made to load one feeder car. He meet up with me and said (after one day for godsakes) "how do you do this crap everyday". After that one day he requested and got moved to something else during someother shift during the day and midnight. Just one day and he was out. Goes to show you drivers, preload is one of the hardest jobs to do, and in my opinion, driving would be hella easy compared to preloading, no offense.

DS

Fenderbender
I vote we put a small sticker on every box we pick up,right beside the address/pal label,that says something like this.

angry-face5.jpg

scottneedsthis

The actual pre-load is....(Not the fantasy IE thinks it is) See the truck....put parcels in there. Try to get them on the correct shelf. Don't worry about facing the bar code with address on it. The driver can sort them, since he makes more. Off the slide, out of mind. Since the drivers make more, ignore them. The pre-load communication in the DIAD is never read by managers so keep your pre-load supervisor happy, don't worry about the driver, he makes more. Drivers who ask for corrections in their load are mostly ignored. Managers are only there to massage the situation that is by default set up to fail. The burden is on the drivers because they get in trouble for not delivering mis-loads, not the loader. Since drivers make good money, they should take what is shoved in their truck. Don't concern yourself that the driver gets heat for going in the hole for bad loads, he makes more. There're no substantial penalties for the pre-loader's bad loads, but the driver will get lots of heat for going in the hole because of bad loads. It's the driver problem, not the loaders, since he makes more. As a 27 year driver this is how I see it. I loaded for 2 years so I know. The new technology doesn't load the parcels, it only puts on the shelf # and the sequence # on the parcel. But the load time is cut. Plus, the PAL label is not placed in the same place consistently so the pre-loader (and the driver sometimes) has to waste time looking for it. Big mistake. This makes the loader not as careful placing the bar code with the address on it faced properly, since the loader wants to see the PAL label next time he comes in to see what order to place next parcel. I have, talked to pre-loader, with respect, no improvement. I have talked to pre-load sup, no improvement. I have been told by a pre-load sup, "I guess I need to watch the video again" Mostly, pre-load supervisors are bodies there with clipboards not knowing how to load themselves. When I try to get my load improved, I'm labeled a "picky" driver. I have given up after 27 years of trying to get better loads. I've only had good loads 4 years out of the last 27. But hey, I'm paid lots to get it shoved in........the truck.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The actual pre-load is....(Not the fantasy IE thinks it is) See the truck....put parcels in there. Try to get them on the correct shelf. Don't worry about facing the bar code with address on it. The driver can sort them, since he makes more. Off the slide, out of mind. Since the drivers make more, ignore them. The pre-load communication in the DIAD is never read by managers so keep your pre-load supervisor happy, don't worry about the driver, he makes more. Drivers who ask for corrections in their load are mostly ignored. Managers are only there to massage the situation that is by default set up to fail. The burden is on the drivers because they get in trouble for not delivering mis-loads, not the loader. Since drivers make good money, they should take what is shoved in their truck. Don't concern yourself that the driver gets heat for going in the hole for bad loads, he makes more. There're no substantial penalties for the pre-loader's bad loads, but the driver will get lots of heat for going in the hole because of bad loads. It's the driver problem, not the loaders, since he makes more. As a 27 year driver this is how I see it. I loaded for 2 years so I know. The new technology doesn't load the parcels, it only puts on the shelf # and the sequence # on the parcel. But the load time is cut. Plus, the PAL label is not placed in the same place consistently so the pre-loader (and the driver sometimes) has to waste time looking for it. Big mistake. This makes the loader not as careful placing the bar code with the address on it faced properly, since the loader wants to see the PAL label next time he comes in to see what order to place next parcel. I have, talked to pre-loader, with respect, no improvement. I have talked to pre-load sup, no improvement. I have been told by a pre-load sup, "I guess I need to watch the video again" Mostly, pre-load supervisors are bodies there with clipboards not knowing how to load themselves. When I try to get my load improved, I'm labeled a "picky" driver. I have given up after 27 years of trying to get better loads. I've only had good loads 4 years out of the last 27. But hey, I'm paid lots to get it shoved in........the truck.

One package at a time, as if it's my (or your) own, gets me through the day. Anything more is the ole' slamming head into wall routine. How trucks look when preload is wrapped generally fails by design, not by methods or work pace.

Here's a good one. UPS wants you to "lift with a smooth and steady motion, never jerk or twist". Why is it the packages that cascade down the belt or slide come with OPPOSITE OF ANYTHING SMOOTH OR STEADY?

Why is it that loaders loading into boxline cages are not held responsible to place packages on the FRONT of the cage, instead of boomeranging them to the back?

Why are organizing and selecting splits from other cars, handling bulk, writing pal seq #s, "paid 10 min breaks" and etc things not factored into PPH?

It's all designed to fail and designed to burden the employee with the blame and these are just a few examples. This way lower management can always scapegoat someone underneath when things go wrong.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I vote we put a small sticker on every box we pick up,right beside the address/pal label,that says something like this.

angry-face5.jpg

Ha, suuuuuuure.

I've had drivers scan a overnight that fell on the floor while driving and it ended up being late and they blamed me for it. This after he lip lock the envelopes himself. It seems they are more willing to blame us for things the drivers cant do or get done. Over all, they are more willing to blame us because the driver is more valuable to the cause then we are. This being Orlando and preclaimed one of the hardest places to load in the country, I suppose losing a driver thats capable is the worst thing that could happen.

Ogden22

The problem is in the training. When the sups training they tell all of the new loaders to make the trucks fit no matter what. Well you cant just make it fit as you all know. I load 4 trucks a day and average about 1200 pieces on a non-box line. I try to tell all the new people that if you mark the boxes as your walking in the truck and lip load it that its faster and better in the long run. Not to mention the sups also tell the new hires to put stuff all the way to the bulkhead instead of having a liltter bit of walkway so that the drivers could reach their 1s and 2s and then move stuff accodring as the day goes.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
for the most part, preloaders are locked in by their circumstances to just throw packages into the truck and hope for the best. sure they could care, but there is absolutely zero incentive to do that and several dis-incentives.

i openly tell my employees to accommodate the driver, when possible, but that they have to look out for themselves, and screw the driver, if necessary.

i don't like it, but it's a system designed way above my pay-grade

brownedout

for the most part, preloaders are locked in by their circumstances to just throw packages into the truck and hope for the best. sure they could care, but there is absolutely zero incentive to do that and several dis-incentives.

i openly tell my employees to accommodate the driver, when possible, but that they have to look out for themselves, and screw the driver, if necessary.

i don't like it, but it's a system designed way above my pay-grade
Have suspected this for close to 14 years now, nice to finally have it confirmed. Too bad I can't be OJS 5 x 46. Always seems to be an acceptable load under those circumstances.