What's wrong...

bbsam

Staff member
Could you imagine being taken into a trauma unit after being in an auto accident with your leg crushed and a young man comes in, calmly starts viewing your injuries and you notice a Marine Corp tattoo on his forearm? I would know I was in good hands. He's seen this kind of thing before.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes we are and it is their choice whether they want to get inked or not; however, we represent the company on a daily basis and it is their choice whether they wish to allows us to have visible tattoos. As a business owner it is my choice who I let in the front door and may opt to have all deliveries in the rear if the driver in question looks like he used to work for the circus.
That is very true. I can honestly say that I have yet to see anything like that. I have no tattoos and me and and my drivers with and without tattoos all deliver to the same door at locations.

Ricochet1a

I too will be blunt. We are working class and not in the least bit ashamed of it. And as quickly as tats have become common place even the "professional class" will become ok with it.

Sorry.... the "professional class" isn't OK with it. There is even more conformity required within professional classes than within working class occupations. Tattoos are seen as a direct affront to conformity - that isn't a "good thing" for potential professionals or for those working in a support role to them.

In the time I've left Express, I've sat in on interviews for potential new-hire support staff and had to give evaluations of their responses to interview questions. In the post interview meetings, INVARIABLY, interviewees with visible tats were red-lined for the position.

In all honesty, those with tats didn't perform the best in the interview or didn't have the highest qualifications coming into the interview, so there wasn't a direct case of "tat discrimination". However, any visible tat on an interviewee was brought up in the post-interview meeting, and I can tell you, even if that candidate was in the "final two", they would've been non-selected solely on the basis of having a visible tat.

The class system is alive and well, no sense in trying to deny that. For those with goals of trying to move into a professional class position (or support positions in a professional setting), possessing a visible tat is a virtual "death sentence" as far as trying to get hired into one of these positions. People are judged by their appearance in these settings, having a visible tat is a "game ender" for most professional or support position interviews.

The company I work for goes as far as having interviewees remove any business jacket in order to "feel comfortable" during the interview (the company interviewers and evaluators are in shirt and tie with no jacket, the interviewee is instructed to remove their businees jacket and drape it over the chair they are going to sit on). We go so far as to turn up the heat in the room to 78 degrees, just to make the interviewee a bit uncomfortable. Any tats that become visible are IMMEDIATELY noted by everyone in the room, and in the vast majority of cases, results in a shortened interview (or an interview where in-depth evaluation of a person's interpersonal skills is cut short).

Interviews require that the prospective employee put their "best foot forward" within 30-45 minutes. The individual is assessed based on experience, educational background, interpersonal skills, appearance, ability to reason, ability to react to unexpected situations and general impression as to ability to fit into the corporate culture. Visible tattoos are a big negative when it comes to appearance and ability to fit into corporate culture.

If someone wants to move into a professional occupation or support role, they'd be best advised to NOT have any visible tats - cold, hard truth.

bbsam

Staff member
When my brother interviewed for a very large computer software firm, he went in dressed in a business suit and was literally interviewed by a series of men and women in jeans and Chuck Taylors. Conformity is not all that it's cracked up to be and there are other qualities that companies (if they are smart) often look for beyond the corporate suck up. Those are easy to find.

Ricochet1a

In an economic environment where many people are competing for every open position, having something that would amount to a red flag in many companies just isn't worth it.

Having a visible tat is a personal decision, that decision has consequences. Going around thinking that one can "express themselves" without any consequences is delusional. There are many occupations and employers who don't give a damn about body art - there are many who DO. If one is looking to move into a position where appearance and conformity to corporate culture is important, then getting a visible tattoo is a real bad idea - it limits options for the possessor.

Decisions have consequences, having knowledge of potential consequences BEFORE someone makes a decison about their personal appearance is vital for those looking to move into a positon where that decison (having a visible tat) can cost them opportunity. There is a reason why dermatologists make a fortune in removing tattoos - people realizing that they made a bad decision and wanting to correct it to open up employment or professional opportunity.

And on the subject of "personal appearance", being a smoker is also a big deal breaker in an interview. Twenty five years ago, smokers weren't given any thought at all - offices had cigarette smoke all through them. Today, if someone comes into an interview smelling of cigarette smoke, they are red-lined. They are seen as not conforming to corporate culture, and also seen as a liability when it come to health expense for the company, loss of productivity (time spent smoking, and smoking related illnesses) and potential for use of other "substances". Smokers are seen as "pariahs" in most corporate culture - cold hard truth.

There are a few smokers in the company I work for (I'm sure there are more than I know about, who slap on a patch or chew gum during the day). They aren't given any leeway to satisfy their craving (no slipping out every 90 minutes for a smoke break). The company actively tries to get them to quit by offering incentives. Smoking is seen as another personal choice which is contrary to "good health", appearance (the smell), and corporate culture.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. Decisions have consequences. I just think that as the professional community has changed it's view of smoking, it is also changing it's view of tattoos. An indepth interview should help a company executive decide whether red-lining a potential superstar in a company for ink is worth letting him end up with the competition.

Justaname

I have 3 medium and 1 large tattoo. You can't see any of them while I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt. I like tattoos, but you have to be smart about where to put them.

check6ii

Could you imagine being taken into a trauma unit after being in an auto accident with your leg crushed and a young man comes in, calmly starts viewing your injuries and you notice a Marine Corp tattoo on his forearm? I would know I was in good hands. He's seen this kind of thing before.

I agree.....I was a Marine Corps Officer from Feb 1980 thru Nov 1990

Goldilocks

OK....We are def family now....I love the MC....Daddy was a DI at PI in the early 60's, korea and nam for 2 terms....28 years MC...Just lost him 3 hours before ThanksGiving 2011....He died like a Marine....Miss him so much....He use to tell me to do my job clock out and get away from those SOBs......I miss himmmmmm

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Since you were a Marine, maybe you can explain Mr. Smith's fascination with "Bravo Zulu". It means nothing at FedEx, but isn't there something similar in the Corps? My guess is that it actually means something if you're a Marine. By the way, if you ever do any reading about Smith, he has tried to model some of Express according to USMC "leadership" values. I'd say he missed the mark.

I'm starting to come around on the tattoo deal. I've got some friends who are ex-military and they wear them with pride, and for a reason. From what I've been told, it's for acknowledgement of your service, but also a bond with your brothers in your unit. That seems a lot different than a biker or skull tattoo that someone wears just to look tough.