Whats your #1 wish for 2008 Contract

mittam

What's number one on your wish list for the 2008 contract.I know there is alot for major issues (pension,hours worked,etc) but give me your MUST HAVE .I guess mine would be cash.Show me the money and leave everything else status quo.There is more to life then money but it is still the main reason why will are willing to bust our butts day in and day out.The rest of the issues I can deal with if need be, even though some could use improving.(mandatory overtime)One last thought because I know some pension plans need l help.You will need negotiated cash to fix them.Underfunding requires funding!
It's not under funded it's miss managed

DS

Fenderbender
I'd like to see something I call "UPS by 5" basically set up our
structure to deliver everything by 5pm(except in some of those far reaching places)
fredly, in my books you get the BROWN STAR for this idea.I used to have an area that included a huge mall,and I often had no option but to deliver far beyond 5pm to lots of unhappy customers.

SmithBarney

fredly, in my books you get the BROWN STAR for this idea.I used to have an area that included a huge mall,and I often had no option but to deliver far beyond 5pm to lots of unhappy customers.

"Brown Star"... mmm sounds dirty. Thanks though, UPS can feel free
to market the idea, I won't scream too much, unless it doensn't work in our
area(not much does)

But really I'd love to leave our building some time before 9:30.
Hell our entire summer was equivelent to PEAK, most drivers running
10.5-12 hrs a day... only now just before peak we get an 11hr curfew.

As for the pension, if I'm paying into it, yes I'd like to reap the benifits.
otherwise, I'm already saving for retirement, and if the pension should
fail, I'll be prepared.

Perhaps faster progression on the vacation weeks earned.
How about more vacation per hours worked(thats how my wifes company works) Work X hours = Y days off.

gray squirrel

Pension, 25 and out. Why can't we have facial hair, seems trivial, but what the heck? I don't want a zz top beard, but a well groomed beard should be acceptable.

wornoutupser

Originally Posted by fredly00
I'd like to see something I call "UPS by 5" basically set up our
structure to deliver everything by 5pm(except in some of those far reaching places)

I like that idea but UPS would abuse that as well.
Early AM was allowed into my extended run as a 10 mile circle from the building. Keep in mind that we are 55 miles from the airport and my run goes out up to 51 miles away. We have a 10:00 commit and rarely leave the building before 9:30 to 10:00.
UPS brilliantly decided later to make my entire run 10:00 for ALL early AM deliveries. I can't even drive out to the favorite customer that likes it best before 10:00. They are ALL late! Whopee! Free shipping for them!

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
I think there needs to be some language in the contract for part-time wages. As someone already stated there are going to be fewer people willing to do the work for $8.50 and hour when minimum wage keeps going up. UPS banks way too much on the bennies for attracting part timers. For some college kid who is just looking to make some beer money and is on mom and dad's bennies, do something like offer them a higher wage instead of bennies. I think that will reduce turnover in the part time ranks.

More full time jobs. I've been with the company for over 7 years, all part time. I started when I was 19 and would love to be able to be full time before I turn 30!!!!

The over 9.5 greivence was nice in the last contract, but the company pretty much just wipes their asses with those pages of the book. There needs to be stronger language in the new contract for enforcing it.

AznDiablo

I think there needs to be some language in the contract for part-time wages. As someone already stated there are going to be fewer people willing to do the work for $8.50 and hour when minimum wage keeps going up. UPS banks way too much on the bennies for attracting part timers. For some college kid who is just looking to make some beer money and is on mom and dad's bennies, do something like offer them a higher wage instead of bennies. I think that will reduce turnover in the part time ranks.

More full time jobs. I've been with the company for over 7 years, all part time. I started when I was 19 and would love to be able to be full time before I turn 30!!!!

The over 9.5 greivence was nice in the last contract, but the company pretty much just wipes their asses with those pages of the book. There needs to be stronger language in the new contract for enforcing it.

I totally agree with everything you said in here. They're going to have to raise the starting wage, because in California we're going to have an increase in minimum wage in 07 and 08. in January of 07 it's going to be 7.50 and in January of 08 it's going to be $8. No ones going to want to do all that work for almost close to minimum wage

hoser

Industrial Slob
My wish is paid sick days for part-timers.

Treat us like EMPLOYEES, not like red-headed stepchildren. We are part of this whole thing called United Parcel Service. I think most people here would agree that most management does not care what we think, its just the whole bull****.."work as directed " phrase that pretty much sums it up. Hell, I would skip raises for all of the next 7 years if management would make an "honest and sincere" effort to make labor relations a positive thing for all employees of this company. Many of us have good ideas to help grow the business....READ: GROW THE BUSINESS, but nobody really cares about any opinions, or ideas.
I agree with you, but how can you work employee empowerment into a collective bargaining agreement?

I'd like to see double time for all overtime I say we make them pay to keep us over 8 hrs, make it hurt a little.
Labour is UPS' number one cost, so of course, paying OT hurts. Double over 8 is just unreasonable. Double over 10 can be argued. Otherwise, enjoy your cut in hours when UPS ends up splitting your route.

Foamer Pyle

I want to see transfers in the contract. This is the only company on the face of the earth that does not allow any transfers. I would keep my crappy central states pension, just get me out of Florida!!!!!:mad: :mad:

rhider

The Buddha King
My wish is paid sick days for part-timers..

We get them here in the NNE supplement 5 days a year and 3 personal holidays paid at 4 hrs a day. I agree that it should be in the master tho

I would push for the better pay rate for part timers tho, boy we bust our butts for peanuts now for sure!!

Griff

1) 25 and out.

2) A few more optional days. Isn't really necessary, but boy would it be nice.

3) Overtime pay isn't enough for Thanksgiving to Christmas. It's time drivers started getting something other than a turkey and extra grief from management. Getting tired of hearing "GET BACK IN HERE BY 6PM" when I have 244 stops and 4 misloads on my truck.

voodoolord

Trailer Maggot
There is always people in line to work for $8.50/hour because once those that get in see what they are having to do for that $8.50 they quit. Hence the super high turnover rate at UPS. Because of that I say raise the part-time starting rate a little. At least enough to match what FedEx is paying. Leave the full-time wages alone but work on fixing the pension. And I'm not sure full-time inside wages need to equal that of drivers. I mean lets face it...working in smalls for 4 hours and then falling asleep in a shifter tractor isn't exactly a $27.00/hr calibur job. Yes, I know there are some rough combo jobs out there but they are rare. I'm not sure I agree with doubling union dues (for any reason) if someone doesn't vote but I'm pretty damn curious as to why in the hell would people didn't vote in this last election. I figured that would have been the biggest voter turnout in the history of the union.

I know im new here but as the " guy packing the trailer " I think I deserve a voice. Arrow is right about the wage for permanent part timers but mostly for the entry guys. I thought about this today before I saw this post. I took the job after my predesessor quite on his second day. His first day he was in the trailer with the current trailer resident and probably thought " oh this is a nice fairly easy job " then he was by him self the next day and didnt show up the third. I have no problem with hard work especialy when theres a good benifit in the future but I have the hardest job in UPS for the four hours I work and I get paid $8.50 an hour. Ya the benefits rock but Im still going 150% for nearly four hours strait doing 200% or more trailers by myself. I think a better starting wage for one of the toughest jobs in the company might have an effect on retention but then again it might not show the true colors of the people doing it. That is the people willing to bust their ass at a low wage for the chance at something better. Dont forget the little guy.