Whats your backup plan?

margaritaville

The union is great and protects you from a lot. Long as you dont lie, steal, etc. Its unlikely youll ever get fired. But say you get hurt and cant work anymore, get a DUI, fired for a bs reason or a bunch of FREAK accidents.

Imagine your 45 which is the :censored2:tiest age to get fired. What would be your next move? You live on 80k+. So finding a comparable job would be hard. Youre almost to old to go back to school and you dont have a degree. What to you do?

UPS is hardddd work but also such a comfort zone in terms of money, health insurance, life, etc.
I just wonder what happens to people that do one thing all their life than get :censored2:ed.

I guess some people would have to just sell there nice stuff and downgrade their life and work a :censored2:ty job.

kingOFchester

I guess some people would have to just sell there nice stuff and downgrade their life and work a :censored2:ty job.

We live on about 25%-35% of household income. I could quit today and do nothing and still live exactly the same way as I do now. I would be unable to continue to save as aggressively, but probably have enough to get us to the other side of the ground anyways.

That said, I would pursue other abilities I have.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The union is great and protects you from a lot. Long as you dont lie, steal, etc. Its unlikely youll ever get fired. But say you get hurt and cant work anymore, get a DUI, fired for a bs reason or a bunch of FREAK accidents.

Imagine your 45 which is the :censored2:tiest age to get fired. What would be your next move? You live on 80k+. So finding a comparable job would be hard. Youre almost to old to go back to school and you dont have a degree. What to you do?

UPS is hardddd work but also such a comfort zone in terms of money, health insurance, life, etc.
I just wonder what happens to people that do one thing all their life than get :censored2:ed.

Fedex? They look like they hire a few street bums for drivers...lol

Last edited:

Coca Cola Delivery Man87

BINGO!
For some reason people believe that the more money you earn the more you have to spend.Not true at all.The more you earn the less you should spend.
I'm not saying don't enjoy the fruit of your labor.However,its best(in my opinion) to live on less than you earn.

I could lose it all today,be back in the same way the next day as I left....

PT Car Washer

Have seen this happen many times. If the person is responsible and has little debt he will get another job and for the most part has been very happy. A lot less stress and live a normal life. Money is not everything in life.

Daalcaar

My backup plan is to finish school and get out of this place ASAP. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind being a driver and making $30+ an hour. But the thought of having to wait 13+ years to reach that does not sound appealing at all. I plan to stay with UPS for 4 more years tops, just until I get my Masters.

Quigley

Dont do anything stupid enough to get you permanentlly fired. Then you wont need a backup plan. 99% of the people that get fired get their jobs back.

JL 0513

Dont do anything stupid enough to get you permanentlly fired. Then you wont need a backup plan. 99% of the people that get fired get their jobs back.

The much more likely scenario is getting a career ending injury. For that reason, another direction in life would be needed.

We all know replacing top rate income and benefits would be nearly impossible, especially if you haven't done anything else in many years. Your best bet would be to find another truck driving job that doesn't require lifting that you could do with certain injuries. Although many possible injuries could prevent even a simple driving job. Desk job? Good luck with that without education. Life would be tough unless your wife makes good money.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
BINGO!
For some reason people believe that the more money you earn the more you have to spend.Not true at all.The more you earn the less you should spend.
I'm not saying don't enjoy the fruit of your labor.However,its best(in my opinion) to live on less than you earn.

I could lose it all today,be back in the same way the next day as I left....
You're so FOS...your eyes are as brown as the UPS monkey suit.