What's Your DEX01 Count Going To Be Today?

bbsam

Staff member
What else are they going to do in your neck of the woods in this economy?
there you go. I've never claimed it's the greatest job in the area. That would be Alcoa or John Deere or the Arsenal. So I really don't know why they stay with me.

bbsam

Staff member
No. There have been some raises, bonus increases etc. I'd say work about 47 to 50 hours per week and make about $16/hr.

bbsam

Staff member
That's what I thought.

too lazy to go look for it? My experience is that people here won't be happy with anything I say so why bother? It is what it is and people can work for me or not. Don't expect me to single handedly raise the standard of living in the country. That's out of my control.

FredFan42

bbsam, You mean you're not holding a gun to their heads, forcing them to come to work for you when they could go get one of the many high paying jobs available in your area?

I'm a contractor as well, single route, and like you said we put our money where are mouth is. Talk from the Ground-haters on this website is cheap. I'd bet most of them keep their mouths shut at their terminals.

MAKAVELI

No. There have been some raises, bonus increases etc. I'd say work about 47 to 50 hours per week and make about $16/hr.

About 16 an hour probably means 15 and some change. What about health insurance, 401k, retirement, vacation, sick leave, etc. ? If you have none of that I definitely wouldn't be bragging.

vantexan

bbsam, You mean you're not holding a gun to their heads, forcing them to come to work for you when they could go get one of the many high paying jobs available in your area?

I'm a contractor as well, single route, and like you said we put our money where are mouth is. Talk from the Ground-haters on this website is cheap. I'd bet most of them keep their mouths shut at their terminals.

I don't hate Ground and I've told everyone from ops mgrs to directors that pay for midrange employees is unfair. About the best I can say for how they pay us is it's at least better than what Ground gets.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

About 16 an hour probably means 15 and some change. What about health insurance, 401k, retirement, vacation, sick leave, etc. ? If you have none of that I definitely wouldn't be bragging.

Look at it from his perspective---if he can find qualified applicants who are willing to work and get the job done for $16/hr without benefits they why in world would/should he offer them?

MAKAVELI

Look at it from his perspective---if he can find qualified applicants who are willing to work and get the job done for $16/hr without benefits they why in world would/should he offer them?

I'm just saying that the Ground system is effectively undercutting Express and UPS and its only a matter of time before you feel it in your neck of the woods. Right now everything is all good for these contractors. But eventually FedEx will determine they are making too much and transfer more of the costs just like here at Express. The greed at the top doesn't stop and if they think they can take more of the profit out of the system, they will. Only a matter of time.

vantexan

If he does that because it's all he can afford, fine. But if it's so he can make, as BBSam says, a crapload of money while his employees struggle just to get by, pretty pathetic.

FredFan42

I don't hate Ground and I've told everyone from ops mgrs to directors that pay for midrange employees is unfair. About the best I can say for how they pay us is it's at least better than what Ground gets.
How is an amount unfair if someone is willing to work for it? They know what they're going to make up front. I'm a single route guy at the moment so I don't employ anyone, but the contractors that do are putting people to work in a tough economy. I haven't heard of any great driving jobs available at Express or UPS. Have you?

STFXG

I'm just saying that the Ground system is effectively undercutting Express and UPS and its only a matter of time before you feel it in your neck of the woods. Right now everything is all good for these contractors. But eventually FedEx will determine they are making too much and transfer more of the costs just like here at Express. The greed at the top doesn't stop and if they think they can take more of the profit out of the system, they will. Only a matter of time.

They all ready have. It's called smartpost.

Mind quoting the post you are replying to? We'd like to know what you mean and it's hard to determine otherwise.

My fault. Hopefully this makes sense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is an amount unfair if someone is willing to work for it? They know what they're going to make up front. I'm a single route guy at the moment so I don't employ anyone, but the contractors that do are putting people to work in a tough economy. I haven't heard of any great driving jobs available at Express or UPS. Have you?

It isn't exactly an employee-friendly setup, and the drivers are employees. As a FredFan you must worship the ground he walks upon. He's a wonderful guy.

bbsam

Staff member
If he does that because it's all he can afford, fine. But if it's so he can make, as BBSam says, a crapload of money while his employees struggle just to get by, pretty pathetic.

yeah. I did get a little overboard with that. I didn't mention my average maintenance costs of $6500 per month, $3200 for fuel $1071 for insurance. Now if I made the kind of money all year that I do in peak, then we would be talking significant wage increases. But c'mon. Van was talking about a route with 50 stops and 250 miles making $20 an hour. I can't afford that kind of pay for that kind of route.

vantexan

You make a valid point but then people take what they can get in this economy. Doesn't bode well for the future though if the economy improves but employees still can't get a decent level of benefits as well as enough pay to have a few things while business owners are raking it in. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.