What's your dream job for retirement?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I know pretty much everyone I work with is dreaming of the day they can retire and do something else. It used to be that people would dream of doing nothing after 25-35 years at a company like UPS, but let's face it, most of will end up staying busy with something. I am still considering some different options and I am leaning toward something less physically demanding (like writing a book, jamming classic rock songs with a virtual online band or maybe becoming a mattress tester?) and saving my physical activity for skiing, biking, hiking and the like, and not whatever I choose to do for supplemental income after UPS. What are some of the things you guys and gals have lined up or are tinkering with for the great encore into the long sunset?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know pretty much everyone I work with is dreaming of the day they can retire and do something else. It used to be that people would dream of doing nothing after 25-35 years at a company like UPS, but let's face it, most of will end up staying busy with something. I am still considering some different options and I am leaning toward something less physically demanding (like writing a book, jamming classic rock songs with a virtual online band or maybe becoming a mattress tester?) and saving my physical activity for skiing, biking, hiking and the like, and not whatever I choose to do for supplemental income after UPS. What are some of the things you guys and gals have lined up or are tinkering with for the great encore into the long sunset?
Several friends have gone into the ministry (not as a preacher) and they find it very fulfilling. Another works in the National Parks service (she was in Yellowstone this year).

rod

Retired 22 years
I flew with the Forestry Dept as a fire spotter for 3 years during fire season. Now I mow grass for the local Township- about 20 hours a month- not exactly work overload:happy2:

[video=youtube;rwQao_sGvy4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwQao_sGvy4[/video]

[video=youtube;5R4V0T_2aZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4V0T_2aZI[/video]

Last edited:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Several friends have gone into the ministry (not as a preacher) and they find it very fulfilling. Another works in the National Parks service (she was in Yellowstone this year).

Yellowstone is magic. We visited there a few times and always meet fiolks who visit in their job life and come back to live out retirement in heaven on earth.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Brownrodster.....hubby & I were landlords for 13 buildings (single houses, duplexes and 4-plexes) which we owned.

That was the hardest work either of us has ever done!!! It's not a piece of cake when idiot tenants are calling at all hours to tell you their toilet is clogged. It's a pain in the ***** job and you're on call 24/7 !!

It's especially hard when tenants don't want to pay rent (usually at Xmas time) and you have to spend hours in small claims court to get the money to pay the mortgage on the building. Tenants think you just collect rent and go shopping with the money.

Not a good job..

moreluck

golden ticket member
Brown.....when we had to move away from the state that these rentals were in, we used a property management co. That was even a worse case scenario.
Then we couldn't do any of the lawn mowing or snow shoveling ourselves.....instead we had to pay someone and pay anywhere from 15 -20 % to the mgmt. co. That really cuts into any profit you were counting on.
It's a horrible business.......but you'll learn by doing.

brownrodster

Brown.....when we had to move away from the state that these rentals were in, we used a property management co. That was even a worse case scenario.
Then we couldn't do any of the lawn mowing or snow shoveling ourselves.....instead we had to pay someone and pay anywhere from 15 -20 % to the mgmt. co. That really cuts into any profit you were counting on.
It's a horrible business.......but you'll learn by doing.

I don't expect it to be easy. But all the rich people I know got their start in real estate.

My parents use an agency for their rentals and have had a good experience so far.

I need to do something with all this money I make.

moreluck

golden ticket member
brown....the good side was that all 13 structures doubled in value and we sold all but one of them. So our money was made through the sale.

It was an experience and we were well suited at 30-40 years old. We still have our first 4-plex in Idaho Falls. It brings in twice as much as our mortgage payment is. Mgmt. there is 10%. It's a money maker and probably wouldn't sell for much.

klein

Für Meno :)
I hope, I'm still on track to retire at age 55. Then, do a lot of travelling, maybe even buy a nice camperized van. Or a condo in a warmer climate, either US, or the Canadian Okanagan (they grow grapes, peaches, plums, sort of like Calif. climate there). See how the exchange rate is by then, and what value I get for my money.
Definitly, don't care if I never see snow and ice in my life, again.

I might do the odd jobs, pumping gas, or store clerk, just to keep me busy, and for a little more pocket money. But, thats about it.

I don't have any kids, nor wife, so I might even consider a reverse mortgage or moving to a smaller house/condo to live (and maybe get 2 for the price of 1) .

I do wanna travel more of Canada, and definitly wanna see the southern states, like Tennessee, Texas, NC, SC, Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, NM, and so on.
Haven't been there yet.
Try the real southern food, and the big Memphis BBQ cook off.

And maybe find a second home somewhere on my route ?
(I need a place to stay, during the winter months).

Austrailia and NZ are ofcourse also on my travel list, maybe even Alaska and Iceland. And St. Petersburg in Russia (birthplace of my granny and dad ).