What's your prediction.....

Rhoderunner

With October just weeks away I'm curious as to what thoughts you all have pertaining to the coming announcements. We can be sure buyouts and XS will be addressed but what else? Granted this is pure speculation but fire away, what do you think is on tap...

Me, I find it hard to imagine them crushing moral anymore than it is heading into a peak season. Don't be surprised if it's talk of cost cutting moves and buyouts, then just some announcements about the future. Some shareholder stroking. They tell the world about XS ending Dec 31 and the rest will be what their vision is going forward without much detail. A smaller, leaner workforce thru buyouts (this probably gets completely detailed) and attrition. Increased productivity with the implementation of DRA. It'll be short on details leaving US all dangling in the wind even longer. We'll get the cold hard facts like a slap in the face just before the hammer falls as things get implemented this winter.

Goldilocks

Not sure if you are a courier, but we wont be offered a buyout. Express Saver will be gone before the years out, more split shifts, FT delivering some P1 maybe, SOS and Pickups. Just enough PTs for the reload. Most will be coming AM for FO and P1, FT 35-40 hours PT-20. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.....Guess this will be modeled after UPS, and even Fedex on the West coast.

hypo hanna

I think the "morale crushing" will intensify. With xs and possibly 2day gone there will be a glut of drivers. Moving all PTs to am routes and FTs to pm will drive some away but not enough. (probably the real reason for getting rid of shift premiums). Expect to be constantly harassed, badgered and jerked around.

Goldilocks

Not sure if you are a courier, but we wont be offered a buyout. Express Saver will be gone before the years out, more split shifts, FT delivering some P1 maybe, SOS and Pickups. Just enough PTs for the reload. Most will be coming AM for FO and P1, FT 35-40 hours PT-20. Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.....Guess this will be modeled after UPS, and even Fedex on the West coast.

I also believe there will be shifting of routes going to other stations to maximize capacity. Managers will be shifted to other stations as well and maybe displaced.

Rhoderunner

No, I know the buyout wont make it to hourlies. I wondering just how much will be revealed with the October announcement. How much will they truly share with us. I'm thinking not much. BTW R1a has posted the possibility of XS surviving till the end of the year.

Goldilocks

I think the "morale crushing" will intensify. With xs and possibly 2day gone there will be a glut of drivers. Moving all PTs to am routes and FTs to pm will drive some away but not enough. (probably the real reason for getting rid of shift premiums). Expect to be constantly harassed, badgered and jerked around.

Federal Express was such a wonderful company. A BIG family!! True, now morale is crushed.....

thedownhillEXPRESS

My prediction is Ground takes over the whole world!!!!!!

Everyone will need to get inked and wear the most outlandish boots or sleeveless shirts ,
Or you will be at risk of being sent to Ground re education camp!!!!!!!

Oh, and no more cookouts....................

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My prediction is Ground takes over the whole world!!!!!!

Everyone will need to get inked and wear the most outlandish boots or sleeveless shirts ,
Or you will be at risk of being sent to Ground re education camp!!!!!!!

Oh, and no more cookouts....................

No more Costco weenies!! OMG!

DontThrowPackages

It would make sense for Express to hold onto XS and E2 until peak has run its course. Ground would get destroyed. After that, ground will probably take all the XS and what E2 it can. The more FT Express drivers that quit or retire, the more FT RTs will be split into PT DEL and PT PU rtes IMO. I see new hires taking 10 years to get to 2 weeks vacation pay and never getting to Top of pay. But what I also see, and the company won't like, is FT's getting use to the 35-40 hour work weeks. After years of leaving heading to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, we will have more time to see our families. Catch a game during the week or even help out coaching our kids. And for the ones who's Ex's claim the kids on the Tax returns, not having to give away so much OT pay to Uncle Sam might not be a bad thing.
I see quality of applicant going down. The rate of theft will rise. I see the physical type of applicant going to the Competitors. The athletic types came to Express because they knew they could get a FT rte quickly. Now they might as well be a PT for Brown and eventually make it into a FT gig as apposed to Express who will probably only have PT to offer in the furture. I see the mom who's kids are big enough now she can work PT. Once on the rte, I see her calling dispatch everyday needing help on a PU rte the old driver use to do with his eyes closed with an hour to spare. I see her going on disability for 89 days every other year.
I see the lack of need for so many managers. Stations will close and consolidate. The SM that loses the rock, paper, scissors will retire. The remaining managers will manage more employees. SFA won't matter anymore. No more yearly picnics, station dinners or peak breakfasts. I do see the March of Dimes breakfast remaining. Nothing like a greasy, fried egg, cheese, sausage and Ham sandwich to make P1 feel like its going in Slo-mo.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
DTP,
Dam,
I love how you mention that we'll still be subjected to all the stoopid charitys like March of dimes.
BZ!!

Bailey4

At our station. we have heard XS and some E2 is going away. They are saying some E2 will roll to us still if Ground is overwhelmed. I imagine that would continue untill they build the Ground network up enough to handle all the E2. Then, I think its will be pretty much a part time company depending on the station size and area. I think they will keep as few full time as possible once it gets to that. I think they are just letting Express Ground Ops think it there will be more full time positions than we will actually end up with. I wonder if that is not for 2 reasons. First, to keep couriers and lower level managers from jumping ship before they are ready. Second to try and keep any momentum from building with regards to any kind of organizing of the hourly labor before they finish their plan.

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
More retirements
More resignations
Full timers no more than 35 hrs (if not already)
Part timers no more than 20-25 hrs
Full timers ... vacation, fh/ph hours cut to 7, instead of 8
More station closures/consolidations (two so far in our district)

NonyaBiznes

Yanked Out My Purple-Blood I.V. In 2000!
It would make sense for Express to hold onto XS and E2 until peak has run its course. Ground would get destroyed. After that, ground will probably take all the XS and what E2 it can. The more FT Express drivers that quit or retire, the more FT RTs will be split into PT DEL and PT PU rtes IMO. I see new hires taking 10 years to get to 2 weeks vacation pay and never getting to Top of pay. But what I also see, and the company won't like, is FT's getting use to the 35-40 hour work weeks. After years of leaving heading to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, we will have more time to see our families. Catch a game during the week or even help out coaching our kids. And for the ones who's Ex's claim the kids on the Tax returns, not having to give away so much OT pay to Uncle Sam might not be a bad thing.
I see quality of applicant going down. The rate of theft will rise. I see the physical type of applicant going to the Competitors. The athletic types came to Express because they knew they could get a FT rte quickly. Now they might as well be a PT for Brown and eventually make it into a FT gig as apposed to Express who will probably only have PT to offer in the furture. I see the mom who's kids are big enough now she can work PT. Once on the rte, I see her calling dispatch everyday needing help on a PU rte the old driver use to do with his eyes closed with an hour to spare. I see her going on disability for 89 days every other year.
I see the lack of need for so many managers. Stations will close and consolidate. The SM that loses the rock, paper, scissors will retire. The remaining managers will manage more employees. SFA won't matter anymore. No more yearly picnics, station dinners or peak breakfasts. I do see the March of Dimes breakfast remaining. Nothing like a greasy, fried egg, cheese, sausage and Ham sandwich to make P1 feel like its going in Slo-mo.

Hilarious. Most of that has already HAPPENED to us.