Whats your Union pension

JonFrum

Re: Whats your pension ? Union dues Etc.

jonfrum, trying to send you a msg, are you not accepting private messages??
Sorry for the inconvience Coldworld. But there's a can of worms that I need to keep the lid on. Feel free to post your message here.

Posting on Browncafe can attract some nasty people and even nastier comments. So, based on many unpleasant experiences, I had to turn off Private Messaging, Rep Power, etc. from the moment registration became mandatory in Oct. 2008. (I had posted for two years prior to that, also under the name JonFrum, but without registering, back when registering was not required for posting.)

- - - -
I think Over9five is referring to the cuts in the pension plan that grandfathered everyone up to that point, but all future pension credit accruals would be at a lesser rate. You had to have 25 years or more pension credit by the cut-off date, for example, otherwise you couldn't retire on a 25-and-out pension thereafter.

over9five

Staff member

- - - -
I think Over9five is referring to the cuts in the pension plan that grandfathered everyone up to that point, but all future pension credit accruals would be at a lesser rate. You had to have 25 years or more pension credit by the cut-off date, for example, otherwise you couldn't retire on a 25-and-out pension thereafter.

Yup yup.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Is this for everyone or just for one area...if for everyone can someone direct me to more info on this. Did this happen a few years ago when they cut the accrual rate, but I was under the impression this rate could go up once the economy came back. Dont most plans have 80 and out, Im pretty sure western conference does along with peer coverage meaning one could retire at 50 if they started at 20 and this was with adding parttime years if they applied to you.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Does anyone know recent retirees who worked out west and are part of the western conference, any info on how much they would make after 30 years per month. I dont think healthcare is included within the west plan, are there other plans around the country that would give their employees health care INCLUDED with the monthly pension.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Sorry for the inconvience Coldworld. But there's a can of worms that I need to keep the lid on. Feel free to post your message here.

Posting on Browncafe can attract some nasty people and even nastier comments. So, based on many unpleasant experiences, I had to turn off Private Messaging, Rep Power, etc. from the moment registration became mandatory in Oct. 2008. (I had posted for two years prior to that, also under the name JonFrum, but without registering, back when registering was not required for posting.)

- - - -

Jonfrum, the question I was going to ask is purely hypothetical, Im just curious about it and since your the resident pension expert on here I thought you might know. Lets say someone who works here could retire today with 30 years service and was fired, could they collect their pension and collect unemployment until the unemployment ran out....or would the pension be considered income thus making unemployment impossible.

chargedformula

Parts on order, will schedule

30 AND OUT UNREDUCED
Age at Retirement: 55 Yrs.0 Mo.
Effective Date: 11/01/2038
Retirement Type: 30 and Out Unreduced
Normal Benefit Amount: $ 16,095.25
Reduction for Age: $ 0.00
Net Benefit Amount: $ 16,096.00

copy and paste from my IAM pension calculator. yes that IS monthly for those wondering

Coldworld

60 months and counting

30 AND OUT UNREDUCED

copy and paste from my IAM pension calculator. yes that IS monthly for those wondering

Ha, sorry to tell you that doesnt sound right...care to elaborate??

chargedformula

ups currently contributes $7.70 an hour into the pension fund (according to the machinists contract). plus i still have 28 more years to go! so basically there is a lot of money being pumped in and i have a lot of time on my side.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Charged, do yourself a big favor--do not base your retirement plans on you receiving $16K/month during retirement as it just ain't gonna happen. $5K/month is the high side of pension projections.

chargedformula

dont worry, i am not putting all my eggs in one basket. i have a 401k going and just started the employee stock purchase plan. i expect more than 5k for the pension though...thats what current retirees are receiving . the one mechanic who retired last year is making more retired than he was working.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

dont worry, i am not putting all my eggs in one basket. i have a 401k going and just started the employee stock purchase plan. i expect more than 5k for the pension though...thats what current retirees are receiving . the one mechanic who retired last year is making more retired than he was working.

That is exactly why your pension and my pension are in trouble. My pension is in a rehabilitation plan and our current and next three split raises are being diverted to the pension. We also have about 5K more retirees than actives so there is more going out than coming in.

If you are basing your retirement plans on receiving a pension larger than $5K/month you may want to rethink those plans.

chargedformula

last i saw our pension fund was doing good. dont get me wrong, i am not banking on it or counting on it. a lot can happen in the 28 more years i have to go. but i would think that the pension would increase over 5k in 28 years. if it doesnt, that 5k a month will be chump change. this is from the pension web site. maybe you know something i dont. it does say something about a “amortization extension" to put it in the green zone.

IAM NATIONAL PENSION FUND, NATIONAL PENSION PLAN
2010 Green Zone Notice
We are pleased to report that the National Pension Plan is neither endangered nor
critical, and it remains in the green zone. Under the Pension Protection Act of 2006
(PPA), the IAM National Pension Fund's actuary must annually certify the National
Pension Plan's funded status. If the Plan is determined to be in endangered (yellow zone)
or critical (red zone) status, the Trustees must develop a formal plan of corrective action to
improve the Plan's financial health and must tell participants, contributing employers, and
sponsoring unions about the Plan's funded status.
While the law does not require us to report our green zone status to you, we thought you
would like to hear this current news about your Plan.
To qualify for the green zone, a plan must be at least 80% funded and must not have a
projected funding deficiency during the next seven years. We are pleased to report that
the PPA certification filed in March with the Internal Revenue Service shows that the
National Pension Plan meets this test with a funded percentage of 95.6%.

JonFrum

Jonfrum, the question I was going to ask is purely hypothetical, Im just curious about it and since your the resident pension expert on here I thought you might know. Lets say someone who works here could retire today with 30 years service and was fired, could they collect their pension and collect unemployment until the unemployment ran out....or would the pension be considered income thus making unemployment impossible.

If you are in the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund, their website is . . .
https://web.archive.org/web/20130127205742/http://www.wctpension.org/

Over9five and I were talking about our troubled New England pension fund. Every fund is different, but most are in trouble to one degree or another and have made similar cuts in benefits and have required increases in contributions.

Every state's unemployment rules are different, but usually if you get fired for just cause, you can't collect unemployment checks. And if you can, UPS will fight it.

Your pension plan probably has a rule that if you retire and begin collecting monthly pension checks, you can't be working, or if you do work you can only work a few hours per month, or only in certain occupations.

Retiree health care is probably provided by your Health & Welfare fund, not by the pension plan. Visit your health plan's website for the details.

helenofcalifornia

Don't forget that the pension money is taxable. An out here, we have to pay anywhere from $50-150 a month for health benefits if we retire between 50 and 65.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Has anybody been in Central States and retired recently under the IBT/UPS Pension Plan? I keep hearing that the years we worked part time are not included in this plan. If so, then what happened to that part time UPS pension that had a reciprocal agreement with Central States?

JonFrum

Has anybody been in Central States and retired recently under the IBT/UPS Pension Plan? I keep hearing that the years we worked part time are not included in this plan. If so, then what happened to that part time UPS pension that had a reciprocal agreement with Central States?

The reciprocal agreement is still in effect. See . . .
http://tdu.org/node/2962

astoneburner

30 AND OUT UNREDUCED

Did you get your letter about the 40% cut on future benefits?
I did.
Alan
I

edavie1110

i retired 2009 with 23 yrs as a driver 7 yrs part time in ga i get 2300 from the union and 172 from ups i was 53

downtime8763

I just retired the first of March at $32,ooo (32 yrs+ ft) and $127.00+ for my pt yrs 4yrsi. I started in high school at 18yrs old. My insurance is $400 a month for my wife and I and I too the new company health plan a few years ago as it's a better plan for retirees.The last contract has it that if the central states cant keep the retirement up to 3200 (with the company,s addition)the new ibt/ups pension will make up the difference.In the next contract this is on item along with 400 a month insurance will probably be changed.I know that our retirement is not what some have,but some will be changing as Central States changes in the future.