When bad things nearly happen

gman042

Been around the block a few times
In a split second it can all change because of the careless actions of another driver.

Nearly became a statistic today. It was a close call but all ended well. I don't know what the driver of the semi truck behind me was doing but he obviously was not paying attention to the road. I signaled left and checked my mirrors only to see a semi barreling down on me. I knew he would not be able to stop in time

I could not make the left turn as there were oncoming cars. I tried to dodge right off the road out of the truck's path only to see in my mirror that he had made the same choice. All I saw was dust and a very large truck getting larger.

Gunned it back on the road and accelerated, quickly dodging left into a driveway as an oncoming car went by.

For all my years on the road, this was by far the closest I have come to being in an accident.

Don't want any more like that one.

Future

Victory Ride
In a split second it can all change because of the careless actions of another driver.

Nearly became a statistic today. It was a close call but all ended well. I don't know what the driver of the semi truck behind me was doing but he obviously was not paying attention to the road. I signaled left and checked my mirrors only to see a semi barreling down on me. I knew he would not be able to stop in time

I could not make the left turn as there were oncoming cars. I tried to dodge right off the road out of the truck's path only to see in my mirror that he had made the same choice. All I saw was dust and a very large truck getting larger.

Gunned it back on the road and accelerated, quickly dodging left into a driveway as an oncoming car went by.

For all my years on the road, this was by far the closest I have come to being in an accident.

Glad you are ok....your training came into play here by checking your mirrors......God also had a hand in this one...

Great job. I'm glad you are okay. You are the man.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

Glad you're okay. Yeah, it only takes a second.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You would have held on and taken the hit from a semi????

I did once. I wouldn't recommend it.

In my building all close calls like this seem to be reported to the on-car supes by the driver immediately so that the driver can receive praise the next day for not getting in an accident. Glad your safe and keep up the good work. It's a crazy world out there.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If you were in my center you would not hear this, "Atta boy! Good job! You exemplify the professionalism of all our drivers and you make us proud!" Instead their silence would be deafening.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I guess my point is this. We ARE profession drivers. Our experiences and training mold most of us into exceptional drivers. Why does UPS as a company choose to ignore this fact? There are thousands of us out there every day dealing with a myriad of situations every day and usually the outcome is in our favor.
AND YET, do we receive any recognition for our annual safe driving achievement? That piece of paper is not any different for the 1 year safe driver or the circle of honor driver. You get a pin you cannot wear.
We are not automatons. We are humans. UPS needs to start treating us as such.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I guess my point is this. We ARE profession drivers. Our experiences and training mold most of us into exceptional drivers. Why does UPS as a company choose to ignore this fact? There are thousands of us out there every day dealing with a myriad of situations every day and usually the outcome is in our favor.
AND YET, do we receive any recognition for our annual safe driving achievement? That piece of paper is not any different for the 1 year safe driver or the circle of honor driver. You get a pin you cannot wear.
We are not automatons. We are humans. UPS needs to start treating us as such.
That's crazy talk. Give us safe driving awards? Next thing you'll want is a Christmas turkey. Lord knows that Dear Leader's bonus was less this year than last.

rod

Retired 22 years
Even though UPS drivers are some of the most professionally trained drivers on the road another thing that helps (but you can't count on it) is old fashion "LUCK". I once met a car on a two lane road as he lost control on black ice. He was probably doing 60 mph when he crossed in front of my UPS truck sideways. I know we missed each other by a fraction of an inch. It all happened so fast that avoiding it had absolutely nothing to do with skill----it was all pure luck. Another driver at my center had an eighty+ year old gentleman walk across the road to get his mail out of the mailbox. Just as the driver pass by this guy he turned around with his mail in his hand and took a step into traffic and the car behind the UPS driver killed him deader than a doornail. Its always nice to have the "Luck Gods" on your side.