When did you start 401k and what's your balance

Boxjockey82

Started in July 2012, I started off at 16% going into the three available accounts. I'm new to 401k's so I wasn't/ still not sure if contributing to all three is necessary or beneficial. Once I stopped driving in January to go back to local sort for my 6 month stint I decreased it to 6%. Currently I have $3600, I'll bump it back up when I start driving again or go full time whichever comes first.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Started saving in 06 or 07. Up to 10% right now. I think I have around 30k in 401k and 10k in ups stock. I've been at ups since 2005.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I started my 401k back in the late 80's. Never did really get serious about saving any big amount. For awhile I was putting in 7% when it had the huge growth spurt. Then when it went into the crapper, I quit contributing. Started back a few years ago but I only put in 3%. I was up to 120,000.00 and lost half of it when the bottom fell out. Finally recovered from that and am just shy of 160,000.00 now. I always kept my money in the highest risk catagories I could. Last year I talked to a financial consultant and she helped me distribute everything a little better and take some of the risk out since I hope to retire in the next few years.

Sure would be nice if UPS matched even a small percentage of our 401k. Almost everyone I know that has a 401k plan has employer matching funds.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I started my 401k back in the late 80's. Never did really get serious about saving any big amount. For awhile I was putting in 7% when it had the huge growth spurt. Then when it went into the crapper, I quit contributing. Started back a few years ago but I only put in 3%. I was up to 120,000.00 and lost half of it when the bottom fell out. Finally recovered from that and am just shy of 160,000.00 now. I always kept my money in the highest risk catagories I could. Last year I talked to a financial consultant and she helped me distribute everything a little better and take some of the risk out since I hope to retire in the next few years.

Sure would be nice if UPS matched even a small percentage of our 401k. Almost everyone I know that has a 401k plan has employer matching funds.

Tell the Teamster's you want that.
Every time UPS has proposed this, the Teamsters said no.

I assume everyone you know are not Unionized and/or don't have a pension.

Brownslave688

I would much rather see the money that goes towards our pension in my paycheck.

The only reason we have social security or pensions is because most people don't know how to save for retirement.

Ill bet 10% of people or less put the social security tax cut into their retirement accounts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only reason we have social security or pensions is because most people don't know how to save for retirement.

Ill bet 10% of people or less put the social security tax cut into their retirement accounts.

I would prefer the money that goes toward our pension be deposited in to my 401k, not my paycheck. I would be more inclined to spend it if I had direct access to it.

Brownslave688

I would prefer the money that goes toward our pension be deposited in to my 401k, not my paycheck. I would be more inclined to spend it if I had direct access to it.

I meant to me personally as opposed to a pension.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
My 401k gets 25% of my $$.

I wish they would lower the catch up age to allow for my youth stupidity of not saving.
Stupidity combined with materialism and a touch of immaturity when I did contribute to a 401k and spent it when I left the job.

My 401k gets 25% of my $$.

I wish they would lower the catch up age to allow for my youth stupidity of not saving.
Stupidity combined with materialism and a touch of immaturity when I did contribute to a 401k and spent it when I left the job.
You will be just fine. Keep saving and live below your means. We have guys in our center that make almost 100k....and say " I cant afford to put any money in the 401k"!!!!....WTF..

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Started in 1990 or so. Balance as of 12/31/12 $247,423. Currently contributing 8%. Turned 52 recently and still 100% aggressive. Wife has a nice balance also. If all goes as planned I'll have a condo in Hawaii next to Bottomups.
Sweet! I'll have a yoga partner. 8am Tuesday and Friday mornings on Poipu Beach. Then off to surfing.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!

Most do not belong to a union but most do have a pension. My brother in law worked for Reynolds/Alcoa. He was in a union and had a pension with matching 401k funds.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
I am sitting right at about 40K in the 401K. I started the second month I was eligble.

This is my 7th year at UPS. I start the year at a low % in Jan and Feb. I promised wife we can invest in our house, (remodeling-new floors/doors/rooms, ect.) Will be at 20% of income by June. Just started the Roth (low allocation like 3%) last year with the intentions of traveling extensively for 1 year the year I retire and will use that account to do it. I buy 1 share of UPS stock per paycheck through the DESPP. I also have a Merril Lynch account that I put $50 into every week.

Retirement plans:

$3,000 monthly pension
$2,000 monthly SS
$500,000 in the 401K
$50,000 in wifes 401K

Most important retirement move I have made................................................................................................

PHAT LIFE INSURANCE POLICY ON THE WIFE!

A

anonymous6

i tell all the new guys to max out 401k and IRA's and live on the balance. i have been doing that for years. it scares me when i see the balance.

i used to live in my car. now i can buy a dealership.