When did you start 401k and what's your balance

purplesky

FYI--Tooner merely wondered aloud the possibility of the government coming after our 401Ks. When her sanity was questioned, I posted an interview of Dr. Ghilarducci, to illustrate the fact that this idea has indeed been raised. If you appreciated nuance, you would have picked up on the fact that the government would not just sweep in and take them over. Instead, if enough people were led to believe that they were being ripped off, and/or wanted "security", they would then voluntarily give up their 401Ks.

If you wish to disagree, and offer a different point of view, that is great. Instead, you come in at page 12 of the thread, and call me a dumbarse. I was just going to chalk it up to the fact that you were having a bad day, but I got to looking back, and this seems to be your modus operandi. You know it all, and if someone disagrees, they must be stupid. If you happen to be a member of management, you are automatically an idiot.

The only people really talking about this govt. 401k takeover crap are overnight wingnut radio show hosts like this loser Mark Levin. YOU DO REALIZE THIS IS ALL AN ACT FOR MARL LEVIN. ITS FAKE. DO YOU REALLY THINK MARK LEVIN AND THIS DR. Ghilarducci REALLY THINK THE GOVT. WILL BE TAKING OVER OUR 401ks? HELL NO! :wink2:

purplesky

Hell, NYC tried to take the peoples Big Gulps. Freedom, HA!

We need more fat kids in this country so they can grow up and be fat adults and get sick and live off the rich conservatives who will need to be taxed to provide healthcare for them. :wink2:

FREE Mcdonalds and Big Gulps for all the children of New York City!!!! NOW THAT IS FREEDOM!!!! FAT FREEDOM!:wink2:

kingOFchester

We need more fat kids in this country so they can grow up and be fat adults and get sick and live off the rich conservatives who will need to be taxed to provide healthcare for them. :wink2:

FREE Mcdonalds and Big Gulps for all the children of New York City!!!! NOW THAT IS FREEDOM!!!! FAT FREEDOM!:wink2:

Nothing in life is perfect, other then a poster on BC. Yes, we do not need any fatter kids. There is a price to pay for freedom. I am not willing to give my freedom to the government so they can parent other peoples children so they do not become obese. It will not stop at sodas. It isn't abut sodas. It is about the government telling me what I am allowed to do.

Even that aside, we have laws that they can't enforce as it is now. We do not need more laws. We need less laws and enforce the laws.

I don't need, nor want, liberals telling me what is best for me through more laws.

pretender

The only people really talking about this govt. 401k takeover crap are overnight wingnut radio show hosts like this loser Mark Levin. YOU DO REALIZE THIS IS ALL AN ACT FOR MARL LEVIN. ITS FAKE. DO YOU REALLY THINK MARK LEVIN AND THIS DR. Ghilarducci REALLY THINK THE GOVT. WILL BE TAKING OVER OUR 401ks? HELL NO! :wink2:

Thanks for setting me straight regarding Mark Levin:

Mark Levin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pretender

You can start withdrawing the 401K at 55 if you retire.

That is correct, with some restrictions--I believe you have to take equal monthly payments for a minimum of five years. It is nice to have that as an option, but the only problem is that if you live for another 30-40 years, you may run out of money; and you are drawing down the balance at the peak earning years.

You are also allowed to take a one time withdrawal (not true with an IRA). My plan is to not rollover my 401k until I am 59 1/2. That gives me the option of taking the one time withdrawal if I need it, without committing for five years.