When I Become KING of UPS....

atatbl

I don't know this for a fact at all - I just assume it to be so - but somewhere at UPS there is the basic, minimum "this is what it costs UPS to simply handle a shipment, average, from point A to point B", strictly the UPS costs involved. My bet is that $5-6 is that number.

I think the idea of a ground envelope is great - but it is better served by the post office via media mail, because they hit every house, every day, which makes it profitable at $4-5. We cannot do a delivery of a package at that price.

Actually, no. It is a matter of cents. But no one (including you) wants to say that because someone will ask for proof. Whatever, it is what it is.

There is a national example that was sold recently. WE DELIVERED a certain type of parcel for a matter of CENTS (and i mean very few cents). This was worth it for us. <----- I assume that because there is no way we got a multi-million dollar agreement without sales leverage.

What is forced out of us (physically) everyday is directly proportional to overall national/international gains (whether the lowest on the totem pole believes it to be true or not).

This is the beauty/point/magnificence/meaning/existence/rational of a chain of command.

Why is it that only the people that work the hardest accept a chain of command?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Actually, no. It is a matter of cents. But no one (including you) wants to say that because someone will ask for proof. Whatever, it is what it is.

There is a national example that was sold recently. WE DELIVERED a certain type of parcel for a matter of CENTS (and i mean very few cents). This was worth it for us. <----- I assume that because there is no way we got a multi-million dollar agreement without sales leverage.

What is forced out of us (physically) everyday is directly proportional to overall national/international gains (whether the lowest on the totem pole believes it to be true or not).

This is the beauty/point/magnificence/meaning/existence/rational of a chain of command.

Why is it that only the people that work the hardest accept a chain of command?

Matter of cents per package? No, that is not possible, and I'll tell you why - the money being paid to the end package car driver alone for that 4 minute delivery is more than that, so the balance of your premise is then also incorrect.

drewed

Shankman
I think he meant like cents of profit....

I remember reading some email dispered around UPS that it takes something like 2000 packages to make a profit of a dollar.

Leftinbuilding

Years ago, UPS made an average profit of $.05 per ground pkg. Air was above $1.00 but can't remember exactly. Don't know how that computes in todays dollars.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I heard at one time we ran on a 5% profit. I don't know if that is accurate or even close to what we do today. I have heard that we lose money on domestic ground, its air and international that keep us going.

alister

Can I put in my two cents? :happy2:

I think that UPS should offer a "ground envelope" similar to the NDA envelope. With technology like it is, many customers are shipping CDs, DVDs, ect that they have to pay for a pound - when these items weigh mere ounces. They are using bubble envelopes - total weight, POSSIBLY, six ounces. For instance, I just heard of a customer that needed to ship a disk from west coast to east coast. No need to get it there quickly - just needed to be able to track it and know it was insured... Shipping cost? $11.85! Lost a customer for this reason... Have a standard "ground envelope" for 1/2 pound or less and reduce shipping cost.....

JMHO

if i remember right, a ground envelope would be illegal as the postal service still has a monopoly on envelopes under a certain weight (sorry don't remember the weight) that is not an express item. its been a while since i herd this and it may be different now, but i don't think it has changed. This is usually one of the reason why UPS an FedEx raise issues when the postal service raises its rates. it rarely raise the "media" rate at the same rate as the first class envelopes.

sx2700

Banned
if i remember right, a ground envelope would be illegal as the postal service still has a monopoly on envelopes under a certain weight (sorry don't remember the weight) that is not an express item. its been a while since i herd this and it may be different now, but i don't think it has changed. This is usually one of the reason why UPS an FedEx raise issues when the postal service raises its rates. it rarely raise the "media" rate at the same rate as the first class envelopes.

Ground envelopes are NOT illegal. I sort smalls every night and there are plenty of ground envelopes moving through the system. And before you think it.....yes they are very light so your "under a certain weight" argument doesn't wash either.

atatbl

Matter of cents per package? No, that is not possible, and I'll tell you why - the money being paid to the end package car driver alone for that 4 minute delivery is more than that, so the balance of your premise is then also incorrect.

LMAO! This clown just said
Matter of cents per package? No, that is not possible...
Get a clue, then **** of our company. Life may not be for you.

Welcome to..... nevermind you have never driven a route (lol at your future insinuation that 1DA counts as a route), or preloaded, or clerked, or washed, or did send-agains.

Since you haven't done anything here but try and *****, I will let you know something....... Something every driver understands and hopes is accurate because our future depends on it. That "4 minutes" (complete bull**** BTW) (I will get to that later) IS CALCULATED INTO LOSS/GAIN.

You think we built a company that has lasted one hundred years by not calculating... never mind.... this should be rich...... please BBAG...... tell us all what the units that drivers are measured by is ( I can't wait for this tool to put it in 10's and think he is right). Tell us how to snake a load. Tell us how to load a Hazmat. Tell us how to handle a NIB PAL. Tell us how to handle a triple line PAL.

PLEASE let us know how to do these simple (and done everyday by people that make this company) methods.

If you can, maybe someone will give a crap about your "sales analysis". Before you argue that.....

Is everyone else that actually works for UPS laughing @ this ***** assumption that those 1500 pieces (to residential deliveries) actually averaged "4 minutes" a piece?

I know this kid is a clown, but seriously...."4 minutes"...... I would take a wrong-doers life to get that type of time allowance.

Last edited by a moderator:

drewed

Shankman
i think the limit is 4 or 6oz, and since our envelopes are about 4ish it would be easy to get ground envelopes over that 6oz

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Way to go, Atatbl, that's the way to keep in the spirit of the thread. You have a seizure or something? Personally, I thought it was pretty cool the way this thread was going, some interesting ideas coming forward.

You ever notice that your replies always echo other poster's thoughts, just two weeks later than someone else posted them? We used to call people like that "toadys" - a follower, a me-too.

I suppose your suggestions for this thread would be to put pictures of cats on package cars?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

There is no envelope marketed specifically for ground. The current minimum weight for a ground shipment is 1 lb and the rate starts at $6. Priority Mail is less than $5 while Media Mail is cheaper than that. atatbl was suggesting a product designed for ground shipments less than 1 lb to be priced competitively with the USPS products.

Currently, NDA letters have no weight limit (paks are charged by weight) and 2DA letters (paks are charged by weight) are supposed to be less than 8 ounces but this limit is rarely if ever enforced. The problem I see with a "ground envelope" would be customers ignoring the weight limit and stuffing all that they can fit in to the envelope so perhaps this service could be expanded to include the use of Paks.

I would think that the revenue realized from this new service feature, although reduced in comparison to traditional ground, would be better than our customers choosing to use the USPS for their smaller shipments.

This is incorrect. There are padded envelopes sold all over the place. UPS sells them at counters for ground shipping, for use instead of NDA envelopes. It's a smart way for UPS to make that couple extra bucks. They are weighed in pounds, true. To say there are no envelopes for ground is foolish though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is incorrect. There are padded envelopes sold all over the place. UPS sells them at counters for ground shipping, for use instead of NDA envelopes. It's a smart way for UPS to make that couple extra bucks. They are weighed in pounds, true. To say there are no envelopes for ground is foolish though.

There is no product manufactured for UPS which bears the UPS logo and has UPS Ground on the label for use for ground shipments that I have ever seen or am aware of. There are a multitude of envelopes available for ground shipments, padded or otherwise. Our current ground rate does not make these shipments cost effective in comparision to our competition.

This is a market which perhaps needs to be targeted in the future.

atatbl

Way to go, Atatbl, that's the way to keep in the spirit of the thread. You have a seizure or something? Personally, I thought it was pretty cool the way this thread was going, some interesting ideas coming forward.

You ever notice that your replies always echo other poster's thoughts, just two weeks later than someone else posted them? We used to call people like that "toadys" - a follower, a me-too.

I suppose your suggestions for this thread would be to put pictures of cats on package cars?

Spirit of the thread?!?!?! Grow up. Are we at prom? I thought this was a message board for adults.

Hey, let's make the "spirit" of the thread the same as all your posts!!!!! KNOW NOTHING AND CHANGE EVERYTHING!!!! Yeah! Wait............ you already did that.

Your post does not change the fact that what I said was correct. I am not sure what I "echoed" from two weeks ago. But, it doesn't really matter.

My suggestion would be that you actually go apply at UPS. There is no way we hired someone this clueless/hopeless. I know everyone here says all they ask for is a pulse and fog on a mirror. Seriously though? BBAG? How do you remember to breathe? Regardless of what job you have irl.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

There is no product manufactured for UPS which bears the UPS logo and has UPS Ground on the label for use for ground shipments that I have ever seen or am aware of. There are a multitude of envelopes available for ground shipments, padded or otherwise. Our current ground rate does not make these shipments cost effective in comparision to our competition.

This is a market which perhaps needs to be targeted in the future.

Ok, that is true. There is no "official" UPS logo'd ground envelope. :knockedout:

The problem with ground shipping is it isn't profitable enough. Are you telling me UPS should become like the PO and try to make cents on envelopes and take USPS volume, when they could be making dollars on international document shipping and etc?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Does UPS health insurance cover Anger Management? Because I believe ATATBL has gone over the deep end....

Way over the top, there, pal. I don't know what has you so out-of-control frantic, but it sure isn't me.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
What about all the business's that don't open up till 9:30-10:00. You would be going around and around and around--Hey wait a minute thats what I do now. Crap you got me there.
I seriously thought of the same thing when I suggested the time change. I BELIEVE (as in no hard facts to support it) that the vast majority of our business customers are 8am opens. Obviously there are exceptions.
You don't want to provide late pick up times? No problem, I'm sure fed ex can accommodate that.
I seriously don’t know – what percentage of our customers demand, absolutely need a late pickup? What percentage of UPS business is this? For the sake or argument, (truly, I don’t know) say it is 3%. We are revolving the schedule, timing, life of all UPS employees & customers for 3% of our business? Does that make sense? Let FedEx have them.
Originally Posted by 1989
I'm not quite sure we should start running the business like it's 1995.

... It was in or around 1995 that UPS started to change from an internally focused, cost control company to a customer focused, Marketing driven company. At least in theory.

Not specific at all to UPS, but a general business theory, usually on page one of the book “How To Run A Business” is this – When you try to make everyone happy giving everyone exactly what they want, you usually disappoint the majority.
I think that UPS should offer a "ground envelope" similar to the NDA envelope. With technology like it is, many customers are shipping CDs, DVDs, ect that they have to pay for a pound - when these items weigh mere ounces. They are using bubble envelopes - total weight, POSSIBLY, six ounces. For instance, I just heard of a customer that needed to ship a disk from west coast to east coast. No need to get it there quickly - just needed to be able to track it and know it was insured... Shipping cost? $11.85! Lost a customer for this reason... Have a standard "ground envelope" for 1/2 pound or less and reduce shipping cost.....JMHO

I like this idea – it would increase volume, income – but I don’t believe we’d make any money on it. UPS in my opinion needs to know its limitations – I believe that the USPO will always be able to beat us on price with this, simply because they visit every home in the country every day.
… I have heard that we lose money on domestic ground, its air and international that keep us going.
If that is the case, then let’s get radical – give another carrier all of our ground in exchange for an enormous chunk of their stock.

Thanks for all the serious replies to the thread - I enjoy brainstorming like this.

atatbl

Does UPS health insurance cover Anger Management? Because I believe ATATBL has gone over the deep end....

Way over the top, there, pal. I don't know what has you so out-of-control frantic, but it sure isn't me.

You would either laugh very hard or be very scared at how calm I am as I post. Whether I am fighting with someone or having a good time here it doesn't really change my physical/mental well being.

I guess the laughing may actually help though... you know endorphins and all....

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
You would either laugh very hard or be very scared at how calm I am as I post. Whether I am fighting with someone or having a good time here it doesn't really change my physical/mental well being.

I guess the laughing may actually help though... you know endorphins and all....

Actually, I don't really care all that much, laughing, crying, scared, whatever. These are all just words on a screen.

Why don't you reply to the thread? If you see me screw up a number, say hey, ***hole, your number is way off, it is XYZ. That way, you get your slam in AND you are a help to others? I'd have no choice but to respect your posts, and be put down at the same time.

Because now? You really come across as right on the edge.

J

JonFrum

Originally Posted by alister

Ground envelopes are NOT illegal. I sort smalls every night and there are plenty of ground envelopes moving through the system. And before you think it.....yes they are very light so your "under a certain weight" argument doesn't wash either.

sx2700,

Begin reading about the Postal Service's Statutory Monopoly on "ground" envelopes here . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service#Statutory_monopoly

and the Private Express Statutes here . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_Express_Statutes

alister

You may sort smalls every night, that doesn't make it legal.

As noted earlier, Priority Mail is a subclass of First-Class mail. The
minimum rate is $3.00 for Priority Mail pieces. Under current Service
regulations, competitors must charge at least $6.00, or double the
applicable Priority Mail rate, to provide expedited, 2- or 3-day delivery of
items defined as letters and weighing 12 ounces or more.
on page 53 of http://www.gao.gov/archive/1996/gg96129b.pdf

The basic restrictions on private delivery of letter mail are in seven
sections of the federal criminal statutes (18 U.S.C. 1693-1699). These
Statutes generally prohibit anyone from establishing, operating, or using a
private company to carry letters for compensation on regular trips or at
stated periods over postal routes or between places where U.S. mail
regularly is carried. Violators are subject to fines or, in some cases,
imprisonment. The current maximum fines are $5,000 for individuals and
$10,000 for organizations, and the maximum term of imprisonment is 6
months. The 1970 Act also contains provisions (39 U.S.C. 601-606) dealing
with private delivery of letters.
page 12 on http://www.gao.gov/archive/1996/gg96129b.pdf

Competition in "extremely urgent letters" is allowed under certain conditions: The private carrier must charge at least $3 or twice the U.S. postage, whichever is greater (other stipulations, such as maximum delivery time, apply as well)
page 21 on http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub542.pdf

A violation can occur at a home or a business where letters originate. But, since nonurgent letters can be mailed covertly through private carriers USPS has found it difficult to enforce. However, companies such as Bellsouth and Equifax have been investigated and fined for mailing nonurgent material through private overnight delivery services. Private carriers of overnight mail say that they do not inspect the mail of customers to determine if the content is extremely urgent and suggest that the responsibility for ensuring that rests with the mailers themselves. Carriers do, however, have certain responsibilities under the regulations.
page 32 on http://www.gao.gov/archive/1996/gg96129b.pdf