When is it time to give up?

DS

Fenderbender
I was hired off the street 21 years ago as a driver.I was 35 at the time,and although it was never easy,
I fought through it to this point.Every Friday when I get home I wonder how long my body can take this crap.
Although I can retire with full pension(to date) I really can't afford it.
What are my options for finding an income if I do?
Only about 20k saved up,which I know is nothing really.
Advice,ideas,rebuffs...give 'em to me, I'm getting too old for it.

UPSGUY72

I was hired off the street 21 years ago as a driver.I was 35 at the time,and although it was never easy,
I fought through it to this point.Every Friday when I get home I wonder how long my body can take this crap.

Feeders or article 22.3

Than again you could always move up to the Yukon and pan for gold.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im doing my exit strategy now. If my husband didnt need the insurance, Id be gone like a freight train, about 9:55 monday am.............or a really nasty day soon.

DS

Fenderbender
What does Klein do? I am interested.
Klein was terminated in a Boston Pizza for drinking on the job.
The sup went out of his way to drive there and fire him for taking his lunch.
He does basically nothing.He posts a lot of Canadian propoganda and knows all the best sites for deals on flights and cat food.

Re-Raise

I know you have gotten some pretty flippant responses up to this point DS, but my take on this is that you are seriously contemplating leaving.

What is the possibility of bidding on a less physically demanding route? Do you have a job in mind that you have always considered trying?

The pension would at least help supplement your income if you decided to start over somewhere else for less pay. Good luck with your decision.

S

splozi

^ This guy asks some good questions.

But in the meantime...

knows all the best sites for deals on flights and cat food.

He sounds like a very helpful gentleman. I shall consult him in the future if I require his assistance within either of the aforementioned categories.

menotyou

bella amicizia
^ This guy asks some good questions.

But in the meantime...

He sounds like a very helpful gentleman. I shall consult him in the future if I require his assistance within either of the aforementioned categories.
Re-Raise is very helpful and sweet. :bigsmile2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Toronto, huh? Are you in the same union as the film workers? Maybe, go to the union hall and see what openings are available there? You would still be contributing to the pension, assuming you wouldn't draw.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, I have a great deal of respect for you but I am going to use your words to illustrate a point to our younger (and not so young) drivers---"I can't afford it". Toronto is a very expensive city. I watch the TV show "Property Virgins" and am floored at the price of homes in the Toronto area. With that in mind, have you thought about relocating or downsizing? Are there any restrictions in your pension plan as far as working while drawing your pension? In my plan we are allowed to work up to 40 hours per month within the same industry with no restrictions on working elsewhere.

To our younger drivers---budget based on 40 hours and consider any OT to be gravy. Retirement may seem a lifetime away but will be here before you know it and, as in DS's case, lack of preparation severely limits your options. Do not rely upon your pension as your sole source of retirement income. Fund your 401k. Yes, I know it can be hard to do, especially if you have children. I have only recently begun focusing on mine (Jan 2012) which had been dormant since I lost 1/2 of it when I got divorced in 1998. Pay down your debt and get rid of some of the "toys". Downsize and save.

DS, if I were in your shoes I would look in to relocating to a less expensive area. I seem to recall that you enjoy music and photography so perhaps you should look for a job in either of those two areas. Read your pension plan information to see if there are any restrictions on working.

This is a great example of why it is best to be in charge of your finances as opposed to your finances being in charge of you.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
How big is the gap between what your pension will pay and what you need? I plan to get at least a part time job when I retire to supplement mine, preferably some place like Lowes or Home Depot so I can get the employee discount on all the home improvement stuff I will finally have time to do. Like Tooner said a big factor here is healthcare which can be prohibitively expensive if you don't yet qualify for medicare, if I stay longer than I want to that will be the reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How big is the gap between what your pension will pay and what you need? I plan to get at least a part time job when I retire to supplement mine, preferably some place like Lowes or Home Depot so I can get the employee discount on all the home improvement stuff I will finally have time to do. Like Tooner said a big factor here is healthcare which can be prohibitively expensive if you don't yet qualify for medicare, if I stay longer than I want to that will be the reason.

Jones, when the time comes and if you do indeed retire to Albany, PM me as my son in law is delivery manager for the Lowe's in Clifton Park. Your response surprises me as I always thought you had your financial house in order.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Jones, when the time comes and if you do indeed retire to Albany, PM me as my son in law is delivery manager for the Lowe's in Clifton Park. Your response surprises me as I always thought you had your financial house in order.
What makes you think I don't have my financial house in order? I'm not a millionaire (yet), but I'm pretty well set.