When is it time to give up?

A

anonymous6

1. with UPS on your resume you can get hired anywhere.

next

Homework time for a couple months.

get a notebook and list everything you LIKE to do. things you would do for free and see how this could translate to a new career.

do you have a skill that you can teach to others? teaching is very rewarding.

you like people? lots of people careers, teaching, mentoring, hospice, medical services, research-research-research

do you like being alone? consider renting your home out and caretaking a ranch or someones vacation home. check out Caretakergazette.com ....excellent publication.

check out Daveramsey.com and speak to one of his professionals. these people are top notch. they have saved me THOUSANDS and thousands of dollars and have us set on a comfortable retirement before i am 60.

there are many excellent books on Amazon.com about retirement planning.

i wish you luck. but good luck usually comes from hard work and preparation.

Samups49

I can relate. I was hired 25 yrs. ago at age 37 & have worked all 25 as a full time pkg driver. I too have grown weary and am looking forward to civilian life. I have been fortunate enough to have made some wise decisions & am debt free with sizable savings and investments. My advice is to hang in to at least 25 yrs. since there will be significant increase in pension amts. & save all you can between now & then. I am planning to leave in Oct. As to others who are younger, my advice is to do with less now and get some good financial advice so that this decision will be easier when the time comes. It sure does empower you when you are debt free. Good luck.

klein

Für Meno :)
As far as I know DS is a musician..... write a great song, place it on youtube (maybe get it professionally done (and sung)) and you may have it made.

Watch until this Spring - I have high hopes for the song my brother composed, and I wrote ! :)

moreluck

golden ticket member
As far as I know DS is a musician..... write a great song, place it on youtube (maybe get it professionally done (and sung)) and you may have it made.

Watch until this Spring - I have high hopes for the song my brother composed, and I wrote ! :)
Canadian Idol ?

klein

Für Meno :)
Canadian Idol got cancelled after 1 year, we don't even have Canadian Biggest loser , nor Canada has talent. Not even a Canadian talk show, like Maury or Springer, Anderson, etc.

But we can still win prizes in California with the "Price is right" ! :)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Canadian Idol got cancelled after 1 year, we don't even have Canadian Biggest loser , nor Canada has talent. Not even a Canadian talk show, like Maury or Springer, Anderson, etc.

But we can still win prizes in California with the "Price is right" ! :)

Oh, you most certainly have Canadian Biggest Loser!

DS

Fenderbender
You guys are great! Tons of great advice and ideas here.
Upstate,Tex, 407,orang,badgas,orly,and everyone else.
A special thx to raw for not making an anti Canuck comment :)
I could (should) hang in there for another 5 years to get 25 years in.
But I feel that my opportunities are greater now to establish a firmer footing in the future.
I've been offered a job in a band as bass player/backup vocals,and this would satisfy my need to be creative.
The pay depends on gigs,and I would definitely need something else to supplement my income.
When grabbing a quick coffee I always insist bus drivers go first,I tell them no you first,my passengers don't talk back to me.
I could not handle a busload of kids.
I like the safety committee idea,drive to accidents,take pictures,know the 5 and 10 by heart,make speeches.I could do that.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
DS, I haven't read through all the post and I'm not going to. I'm sure there are more than a few that I could care less about.

Keep an eye out in the local newspaper for help wanted. Maybe something will jump out at you that will fit what you need. HE helps those who help themselves. Good look and when you do decide to retire I sure hope you enjoy it.
:happy2:

HomeDelivery

I could (should) hang in there for another 5 years to get 25 years in.

I dunno about the economic situation up there, but in the US, it's sucks and will still be ~4 years down the road (the future replacement candidates for Obummer is not looking too good).

Stick it out; 5 years will go in a blink of an eye (well, maybe a couple of blinks). You're almost at the finish line! :happy_new_year:

satellitedriver

DS,
Remember, "The Way".
Yield and Overcome.
You are not the rock, you are the water.
Yield, and all knowledge is revealed.
This is the way of Tao.
-( to all of you that are reading this, it ain't no trippy, hippie bs)-

Having said that, I ache like hell also on Friday ,DS.
Old age ain't for wimps.

trouble maker

I was hired off the street 21 years ago as a driver.I was 35 at the time,and although it was never easy,
I fought through it to this point.Every Friday when I get home I wonder how long my body can take this crap.
Although I can retire with full pension(to date) I really can't afford it.
What are my options for finding an income if I do?
Only about 20k saved up,which I know is nothing really.
Advice,ideas,rebuffs...give 'em to me, I'm getting too old for it.
After 25 yrs (3pt, 22 ft pc driver), I decided to make the jump into feeders. My feet and knees were starting to wear down. Needed custom orthotics ( that I still wear) for my feet they hurt so bad. Feeders does have it's draw backs. First off, you have to have the support of your family because it not only screws up your schedule, but theirs as well because it's mostly all night work. They have to understand that you have to sleep during the day and the noise level has to be kept to a minimum. The other draw back is the weather. When the snow flies, so do you. It can get pretty hairy in the snow, but if you take your time and play it safe, your ok for the most part. The biggest adjustment is not to bring the package car mentality into feeders, IT WON'T WORK!!! You don't rush and they really don't want you to. They give you more than ample time to do your job, and to get where you are going. Don't get me wrong, there still is a certain amount of bull**** that you have to put up with. After all, it is still UPS. However, it is nowhere near like package car. In a way, it's like working for a different company. For me anyway, the advantages out weighed the disadvantages. Go for it. Get yourself a cb radio, satellite radio, and a hands free device for your cell phone. You will make a lot of new friends. The best remedy for when your tired going down the road is to call another feeder driver to talk to. Believe me, they won't mind. Chances are, their tired too and welcome the phone call.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
DS have you ever thought of going into drivers training. With all the safety and training we get any driver here would fit right into a job like that. I hear that you can make OK money at it also.

The Milkman

I haven't met anybody yet who has retired that didn't get a job of some kind just for the fact of being board and getting fat:happy2:. Good luck with whatever you decide DS, I too think as you do sometimes. I am close to feeders(after 20+ years) but not there yet and 22.3 jobs are not bid anymore (at least here).

I started at 30 and hung it up at 55...The best thing I did was put $$$ into the 401k when it was 1st offered to me I believe back in 86 or 87..Started out small then slowly upped the ante..So when I left I had a little bag of cash..enough to make things happen..I look at it like this....Retire as soon as you can....Enjoy your time, something you can never buy..I have been retired now 4 yrs..Done a 3 month RV trip to Alaska last yr and smaller ones around the lower 48..Do things while you physicaly can..Average life span is 70 or so...Retire at 55...approx 180 months to go before your dirt nap...So waiting any longer you risk running out of time to do things that you worked hard all your life to enjoy..Life is short...I am wingin it and the big word is Content..be content with what you have or don't have as I know alot of other Upser's that are still working and are afraid to retire and they have 2 to 3 times as much $$$ that I do..I just can't figure out why they keep working.and wasting there life when they could be doing things in life , even if it is fishing , traveling or just plain goofing off..You earned your right to retire now spend your final days living, otherwise some one else will be spending all your hard earned and I do mean HARD earned money having a party after the bury you. I don't worry about the $$$ as much as everyone else does...I am happy with my time off everyday....Quick example..A freind back in Jersey retired from the NJ Turnpike after 35 yrs or so..Lifetime medical, fairly decent monthly benefit, nice house paid for, worried about his $$$.. been trying to call him, he emails me that he turned off his long distance on his land line to save $$$..Are you Frickin Kiddin Me??????????? Has alot of $$$ in the bank...That's why he never got back to me after i sent an email wondering why he never called me back...So live in fear or Live..I choose to LIVE and as long as my heart is beating Ups will continue to pay me for my Time off till my last day on this earth runs out:happy-very:

HomeDelivery

Quick example..A freind back in Jersey retired from the NJ Turnpike after 35 yrs or so..Lifetime medical, fairly decent monthly benefit, nice house paid for, worried about his $$$.. been trying to call him, he emails me that he turned off his long distance on his land line to save $$$..Are you Frickin Kiddin Me??????????? Has alot of $$$ in the bank...That's why he never got back to me after i sent an email wondering why he never called me back...So live in fear or Live..I choose to LIVE and as long as my heart is beating Ups will continue to pay me for my Time off till my last day on this earth runs out:happy-very:

cost of living in NJ is way more than in AZ... he'll be raped with property taxes for that paid-for house for one thing. Why don't you let him know about Vonage or Magic Jack? heck, some cellphone plans have unlimited long distance calling as well...

purplepilots

I feel your pain. I was a UPSer's for almost 15 years when I got injured. Long story short, upper management didn't or doesn't like me, so he wouldn't bring me back in on TAW. I have severe restrictions and I've been wondering what "will be my next chapter" of my life going to be.

My advice to you, do something that you like to do. It didn't sound like you liked your job or the extreme way it was destroying it. Are you a handyman? Painting inside/outside of homes, if you like painting.

This might sound funny, but I have a housekeeper who makes $20.00 hour and I'm not sure what your partner, wife, significant other does, but team up with her and make some serious cash just cleaning out someones home. You can't beat the money and you spend about 2 1/2 and you're done. Not only that, you have serious tax deductions due to having your own business. Just advice. Thought I'd throw my two pennies in the bowl..
Best of Luck to you.
PurplePilot

menotyou

bella amicizia
Just wait. nancy or monster will come along and blame you for the way management treated you. Unless you are a guy, then they will leave you alone. Hell, if you were a girl, monster would threaten to beat you up. Nice guy, that Brown Monstr

The Milkman

cost of living in NJ is way more than in AZ... he'll be raped with property taxes for that paid-for house for one thing. Why don't you let him know about Vonage or Magic Jack? heck, some cellphone plans have unlimited long distance calling as well...

Why do you think I moved?? I could of made it in Jersey but in AZ I can do alot better..A lot cheaper out here and If you want to hang it up I suggest you do what you want to do or Have to do..Anything is better than working longer than you have to:peaceful: