when to get print out?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you been reviewing your annual pension statements each year? Have there been any issues with any of the statements that you have addressed with the pension fund?

I believe that you can request a summary of your current pension status at any time from the pension fund.

www.nytfund.org

rod

Retired 22 years
Thinking of retiring in 5 yrs. When did you retirees start getting your papers in order?

I got serious about it a year before I retired but I always kept track of the years of credit I had earned all during my career. Don't wait until the last year to bitch about being shorted on your work credits if you think you have been. Find out exactly how much you have been credited for working part time.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I got serious about it a year before I retired but I always kept track of the years of credit I had earned all during my career. Don't wait until the last year to bitch about being shorted on your work credits if you think you have been. Find out exactly how much you have been credited for working part time.

I don't have any chance of that. Worked 2k plus entire career. 25 yrs now.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I was a casual for my 1st ten yrs. Otherwise full time credit towards pension. I have ck 'd my print outs. Every thing looked correct. I will send for my print out asap. Sorry for spreading out replies. Site Acting funny today for responses.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was a casual for my 1st ten yrs. Otherwise full time credit towards pension. I have ck 'd my print outs. Every thing looked correct. I will send for my print out asap. Sorry for spreading out replies. Site Acting funny today for responses.

The only reason I asked is we had a driver retire on Friday who somehow had 500 hours not accounted for and actually retired earlier than expected.

I've been told that you should check your yearly statement (if you get one) for accuracy. Match total hours credited with total hours worked for the year. If you don't get a yearly summary, ask for a printout every 5 years

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you been reviewing your annual pension statements each year? Have there been any issues with any of the statements that you have addressed with the pension fund?

I believe that you can request a summary of your current pension status at any time from the pension fund.

www.nytfund.org

I've been told that you should check your yearly statement (if you get one) for accuracy.
Match total hours credited with total hours worked for the year. If you don't get a yearly summary, ask for a printout every 5 years

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I walked into our HR department on the 31st of January. We have 1 lady who handles retirements. She was out of the office and I had to come back Monday, Feb. 3rd. You have to declare your last day of work and they can't back date it. You will receive your pension checks on the first of the month. It takes 3 months for your paperwork to go thru. You fill out a bunch of stuff there in HR and she sends it off to Atlanta. They have to look it over, make sure of your time, etc. They send you a big packet with explanations and a whole bunch of forms for you to fill out. You will need copies of your and your wifes' social security card, birth certificates and marriage license. You will make decisions on how much you want to receive for your retirement and if you want to elect to take less and provide for your wife if you die first. You need to decide if you want to cover her with your insurance still or not. Ideally, you want to do this 4 months before you actually retire. I retired kind of unexpectedly on the day I was cleared to come back from surgery from an accident, and I realized I could no longer do the job. Terrible timing. Because I had to choose Feb 3 as my last day, the next 1st of the month (March) was the month used for pension check purposes. I was looking at possibly 4 months without any income. In the meantime, I requested my 7 weeks of vacation pay. We got our income tax refund (unexpected) and my wife got a bonus at work (also unexpected) Come to find out it only took 2 months to ram the paperwork thru. Initially you get 2 checks. (1 on time and the other a back pay to your retirement date. Another driver that retired the same time as me messed up his paperwork somehow and they kicked it back. He actually went back to work, resubmitted it and re-retired. Point is, Fill out the forms very carefully. If you have any questions (I had plenty. some of the wording is confusing) find someone who has been through it recently. Central states and teamcare can also help answer questions. In your initial packet you get a list of phone numbers to call. Make copies of *everything*. I kept folders and phone lists handy. Hopefully you can set it up properly where it is seamless. Hope this helps.

oldngray

nowhere special
I walked into our HR department on the 31st of January. We have 1 lady who handles retirements. She was out of the office and I had to come back Monday, Feb. 3rd. You have to declare your last day of work and they can't back date it. You will receive your pension checks on the first of the month. It takes 3 months for your paperwork to go thru. You fill out a bunch of stuff there in HR and she sends it off to Atlanta. They have to look it over, make sure of your time, etc. They send you a big packet with explanations and a whole bunch of forms for you to fill out. You will need copies of your and your wifes' social security card, birth certificates and marriage license. You will make decisions on how much you want to receive for your retirement and if you want to elect to take less and provide for your wife if you die first. You need to decide if you want to cover her with your insurance still or not. Ideally, you want to do this 4 months before you actually retire. I retired kind of unexpectedly on the day I was cleared to come back from surgery from an accident, and I realized I could no longer do the job. Terrible timing. Because I had to choose Feb 3 as my last day, the next 1st of the month (March) was the month used for pension check purposes. I was looking at possibly 4 months without any income. In the meantime, I requested my 7 weeks of vacation pay. We got our income tax refund (unexpected) and my wife got a bonus at work (also unexpected) Come to find out it only took 2 months to ram the paperwork thru. Initially you get 2 checks. (1 on time and the other a back pay to your retirement date. Another driver that retired the same time as me messed up his paperwork somehow and they kicked it back. He actually went back to work, resubmitted it and re-retired. Point is, Fill out the forms very carefully. If you have any questions (I had plenty. some of the wording is confusing) find someone who has been through it recently. Central states and teamcare can also help answer questions. In your initial packet you get a list of phone numbers to call. Make copies of *everything*. I kept folders and phone lists handy. Hopefully you can set it up properly where it is seamless. Hope this helps.

Start the paperwork 4 months in advance? Nope, you can't do anything more than 90 days in advance. If you try to get things started early UPS will just sit on the paperwork. And HR will wait until the last 30 days before actually doing anything, so expect to have to correct their mistakes after you officially retire. It would be nice to have everything straightened out in advance but UPS seems to make things as messed up as possible on purpose.
And something you can do is put an earlier than expected retirement date when you first start the process rolling because you can still move it back to when you actually plan to retire. I had to do that to find out how long I had to work to get credit for a full last year. I had to work a month longer than my initial projected date but was worth it to get more per month in pension. Not from says I had missed but here it goes by calendar date and not seniority date to calculate when the year starts.

Last edited:

Highwayman

That's how our pension works, pick a last day of work no more than 90 days out and the pension fund will send you the paperwork with all the options. Cannot do it multiple times.

dniebster

PARCEL JOCKEY
The only reason I asked is we had a driver retire on Friday who somehow had 500 hours not accounted for and actually retired earlier than expected.
Upstate, your local union hall is behind on all hours worked. They are a month to 6 weeks behind. There is a web site abpa .Go to site ,register and you will see all total hours worked from day1. I have over 800 hours now, but they show me having 520. Also this web site has all paperwork needed for retirement .

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
i don't know if this is typical or not but i left the last week of may and got my first pension check in october. it took multiple calls to ups hr and the northwest administrators to get it done. fortunately i had planned on the run around and had money set aside for all expenses. but there was a lot of anxiety around the house.
so when to get your print out?..once a year from the pension office and make sure your working enough hours every month

dniebster

PARCEL JOCKEY
i don't know if this is typical or not but i left the last week of may and got my first pension check in october. it took multiple calls to ups hr and the northwest administrators to get it done. fortunately i had planned on the run around and had money set aside for all expenses. but there was a lot of anxiety around the house.
so when to get your print out?..once a year from the pension office and make sure your working enough hours every month
Not surprised with anything about ups. That is not typical. You retired at the end of the month thats good since the first retirement check should come the first of the next month and it is a real live check. How many years did you have? what local?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Your abstract, as it is called, can be ordered at any time. You can give them a date, and they will figure out how much you will get from the date you put in your abstract. No more than three months out. From this, you can determine your retirement date and how much time they have on record for you and clear up any misunderstandings.

Xexys

Retired and Happy

I believe this is your Local jamming it up your butt. When I retired, my local mistakenly took Union dues out of my last check because it was cut in the first week of the following month. I sent the union a letter asking them how many times this mistake had been made because almost everyone I know that had retired before me, always retired at the end of a month. Seems the local union would be looking out for their dues paying members even after you've left.

I did receive a check in the mail for my union dues incorrectly taken out, but not until I sent a letter explaining their mistake and copies of everything to document it.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Thinking of retiring in 5 yrs. When did you retirees start getting your papers in order?

You can order as many abstracts as you wish also. Just in the abstract itself, it won't go beyond three months. I ordered one just for fun about a year before I actually retired just to see how it worked and if I was on track to retire in the next year. Gets you familiar with the process and it's always new to you as people that do retire you usually don't get to talk about the process with them in detail.