When transferring from re-load to the pre-load

Drink Craft Beer

About 6mos. ago a re-loader transferred to the pre-load. When the new schedule was put up today, a person noticed that he all of a sudden was listed below the transfer (he has 1 and half years in and has union card, transfer has more time in) Then recently another guy from re-load has been being used on the pre-load. He finds out 2nd guy is transferring also to the pre-load.

He called the union the rep and was told that 1st transfer filed a grievance about seniority (which has been heard) and now both transfer's will be above him in seniority cause they have been there longer.

There's nothing that we could find in the contract that states they would keep seniority by doing so. Just language about hub-to-hub transfer.

Is that how this works? He's just bummed because now he'll have to go back to calling in if this is the case.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
If he transferred within the same building, he maintains his seniority and can bump junior guys on his "new" shift. I've been bumped out of double shifts/even out of my preferred job temporarily by higher seniority employees that have switched shifts/bid into an open slot.

That being said, an employee should never have to "call in" to see if they get to work that day. It's the company's responsibility to contact the employee before the sort/preload to tell him he's laid off that day. If he reports on time and is sent home, he needs to grieve for his guarantee every time.

Drink Craft Beer

Thank You for the info, PS

As far as the second part of your reply, I've been PT for over 10yrs and they have always had (in my hub) those low on the totem pole to call in and see if they are needed. Asked to call in an hour before the shift and those who are scheduled to work to call in an hour before the start of the shift to let them know that you're planning on not coming in that day / calling off.

So you're saying that the employee should set his alarm and plan on working the next day unless he gets a call stating he's not needed?

Is there wording in the contract that states it's the company's responsibility to contact him and not the other way around?

Is there a certain time (before the shift) that he is expected to be notified to give enough time to get there before the shift starts?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If he transferred within the same building, he maintains his seniority and can bump junior guys on his "new" shift. I've been bumped out of double shifts/even out of my preferred job temporarily by higher seniority employees that have switched shifts/bid into an open slot.

That being said, an employee should never have to "call in" to see if they get to work that day. It's the company's responsibility to contact the employee before the sort/preload to tell him he's laid off that day. If he reports on time and is sent home, he needs to grieve for his guarantee every time.
Just curious...is there a certain time frame they have to contact you before your shift to tell you that you're laid off for a day?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Just curious...is there a certain time frame they have to contact you before your shift to tell you that you're laid off for a day?

Varies by supplement. In my area, we require "one day unwritten notice." This can be a phone call the day before a shift; calling an employee slotted for a lay-off during their ride to work wouldn't cut it.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Thank You for the info, PS

As far as the second part of your reply, I've been PT for over 10yrs and they have always had (in my hub) those low on the totem pole to call in and see if they are needed. Asked to call in an hour before the shift and those who are scheduled to work to call in an hour before the start of the shift to let them know that you're planning on not coming in that day / calling off.

So you're saying that the employee should set his alarm and plan on working the next day unless he gets a call stating he's not needed?

Is there wording in the contract that states it's the company's responsibility to contact him and not the other way around?

Is there a certain time (before the shift) that he is expected to be notified to give enough time to get there before the shift starts?

What supplement are you under? You can inbox me if you'd rather not post it here. In my opinion, it's the company's responsibility to notify the hourly of lay-off within a reasonable time frame or the company should have to pay out the hourly's 3.5 hour gurantee for wasting his time. Additionally, if they're laying off preload/reloaders, there's almost certainly a supervisor working somewhere within the operation that needs to get nailed.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
What supplement are you under? You can inbox me if you'd rather not post it here. In my opinion, it's the company's responsibility to notify the hourly of lay-off within a reasonable time frame or the company should have to pay out the hourly's 3.5 hour gurantee for wasting his time. Additionally, if they're laying off preload/reloaders, there's almost certainly a supervisor working somewhere within the operation that needs to get nailed.

My supplement is clear that:
a) employees scheduled to work require a 24-hour layoff notice except in emergency situations;
b) it's the company's responsibility to contact employees scheduled on-call to report to work, up to one hour past the shift's scheduled start.

Yet in my 15-year career....
a) The building not meeting production goals is considered an emergency situation;
b) if scheduled on-call, it's the employee's responsibility to contact the building between 30 & 60 minutes prior to start to determine if there's work available; if there's not, it's the employee's responsibility to remain available for at least two additional hours. Guarantees need not apply.

And yes, I've argued this many times... but honestly, it's not one of those things that's worth it.