When will fed ex pass ups in volume and earnings?

T

Turdferguson

I know what the sales people that work out of my building have said. They aren't allowed to give discounts on volume no matter how much a company is shipping out each day....
What would they give discounts based on?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have been told several times that Amazon wants too big a discount and the profit margin simply is not worth the headache. Does anybody really think Ground couldn't match UPS price for 20% of their freight?
Oh I no doubt think they could match it. And some.

TUT

We have been told several times that Amazon wants too big a discount and the profit margin simply is not worth the headache. Does anybody really think Ground couldn't match UPS price for 20% of their freight?

Yes 20%, but Amazon is getting more than that. I do believe your first sentence, your executive team for ground always reiterates it could have more volume but there is no reason to go after less profitable goods when they are running well enough to capacity. As your capacity expands, perhaps your plans there will change.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes 20%, but Amazon is getting more than that. I do believe your first sentence, your executive team for ground always reiterates it could have more volume but there is no reason to go after less profitable goods when they are running well enough to capacity. As your capacity expands, perhaps your plans there will change.
I meant that if sales.went in and gave Amazon the same discount UPS gives them in return for 20% of their freight, we'd have it in no time.

TUT

I meant that if sales.went in and gave Amazon the same discount UPS gives them in return for 20% of their freight, we'd have it in no time.

My bad, was reading "of" as "off", got it don't disagree.

I can't say with certainty but it seems Fedex and UPS are drawing a line and Amazon is calling them on it, but it isn't a bluff by either, there is just a point to not feed them and give it away, there really is plenty of other freight out there.

bbsam

Staff member
My bad, was reading "of" as "off", got it don't disagree.

I can't say with certainty but it seems Fedex and UPS are drawing a line and Amazon is calling them on it, but it isn't a bluff by either, there is just a point to not feed them and give it away, there really is plenty of other freight out there.
Right. But that line is going to affect UPS far more than Fedex simply because we weren't chasing their high volume low yield freight in the first place.

In the last 2 weeks I've had 2 deliveries. Weathertech floor liners came FEDEX HOME Delivery (not a scratch on those boxes. The next also came FedEx Home, it was a T-shirt I ordered from Summit Racing. Just ordered a hurricane (damn arthritis). Got an email it was arriving fedex smartpost. So the way I see it FedEx 3 UPS 0

Foamer Pyle

finding more than enough reason for doing online ordering .RIGHT NOW on the internet Fed ex ground is the cheapest way to get my object from a to b I the consumer never see the homeless looking deadly driver ....i see less $$$
Personally, I don't give a crap about the Cheapest, that's why I never shop at WalMart. That's why companies like Whole Foods, and Costco thrive. The bottom feeders will always shop at WalMart and ship with FedX ground.

Personally, I don't give a crap about the Cheapest, that's why I never shop at WalMart. That's why companies like Whole Foods, and Costco thrive. The bottom feeders will always shop at WalMart and ship with FedX ground.
I guess it's true...you can't fix stupid. You keep on buying those Lay's Potato Chips at $3.29 a bag! I'll buy the same thing at Walmart for $2.48 and laugh all the way to the bank!

Foamer Pyle

I guess it's true...you can't fix stupid. You keep on buying those Lay's Potato Chips at $3.29 a bag! I'll buy the same thing at Walmart for $2.48 and laugh all the way to the bank!
Life is about choices. A bag of chips or 12 pack of sodas isn't going to break my household budget. Personally, I cannot stand to shop with the human garbage that frequents WalMarts. The people of WalMart isn't a fake web site, yup, those mutants in the photos shop at WalMart. Enjoy your 50 cent savings here and there, at the end of your life, maybe you will have enough cash to pay your electric bill one month.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Only thing any shipper has sent me fedex ground EVER was the 1 time I needed a warranty replacement for a couple boards that warped on my kid's playscape. 90% of packages I get are ups, 9% usps, 1% lazership.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
most of our packages start from UPS and then get handed off to USPS because of weight. my husband gets so MAD about that. it seems like all the overnite stuff comes Fed-Ex.