When will the "Peak Season" arrive?

I might question that.
It's my understanding the company is hiring off the street permanent feeder drivers in the Dallas/Mesquite area, because no one in pkg cars wants it due to night work as well as the volume is said to be overwhelming.
Depending upon what area of the country "monkeynuts" is from, it might be permanent.
Also, I think more loads may be coming off the train after the first of the year so there may be a need for more permanent feeder drivers.
He may want to ask the BA/steward.

We were told part of the reason we got on was the diversion off the rail but that did not really affect us. Also told this was going to be the case first of the year but just cant hang on for another maybe....
BA/steward no good answers there either. They don't want to spoil the good relationship by pressing too hard.

trickpony1

I would think they would try to get you a job in the hub, maybe 2, four hour shifts to total eight hours.
If you truly did get on as permanent feeder, I would cherish this job. It's a once in a lifetime chance.
Once again, I've heard a bunch of loads are coming off the train after the first of the year. You say it won't affect you but indirectly it might in terms of mileage runs (not sleeper) and/or meet point exchanges. I don't know where you are located so I can't say for sure.
Be available, be amiable, don't complain about anything and suck up every chance you get.
Good Luck.

truckrgrl

My Driver's Grunt
I might question that.
It's my understanding the company is hiring off the street permanent feeder drivers in the Dallas/Mesquite area, because no one in pkg cars wants it due to night work as well as the volume is said to be overwhelming.
Depending upon what area of the country "monkeynuts" is from, it might be permanent.
Also, I think more loads may be coming off the train after the first of the year so there may be a need for more permanent feeder drivers.

Interesting... I'm out of the Mesquite Center... and I was told they didn't need feeder drivers (seasonal or otherwise) - it's what I'd like to get in on after I came off OTR driving :mellow: Guess that was the tactic they were using to get more helpers... now they're saying we have too many helpers, and few of us are getting enough work.

Oh well, I don't mind being a driver helper, and I wouldn't even mind working the preload for awhile. I just find that amusing... Though my driver is one of those that refused to go to feeders because it was nights, so I get what you're saying.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Dear Mr Miserable Vengeance,

Who are you trying to kid?

I've lived long enough that I know to simply avoid such anger filled people as yourself. I am a UPS driver NOW because I've ignored your kind of evil. Think about it: Throwing your slime all around is not helping your OWN FEAR about getting layed off, is it? (And, you thought nobody would know who you were!)

My Christmas gift to you? 3 free sessions with a certified Pychologist.

what the **** is your problem???you stated in your first post that you were a "seasonal feeder" i'm just trying to answer your question.

SEASONAL FEEDER= SO CALLED "CASUAL DRIVERS" PEOPLE WHO WERE HIRED AS TEMP FROM THE OUTSIDE TO FILL SOME JOBS WITHIN THE DEPARTMENT IN PEAK. THESE DRIVERS WILL NOT BE BACK AFTER PEAK.

RELIEF FEEDER= PEOPLE WHO WERE HIRED WITHIN THE COMPANY AND TRAINED BY THE FEEDER DEPARTMENT. THEY WORK AS FEEDER WHEN NEEDED, GOING BACK TO PACKAGE OPERATION WHEN NO JOBS FOR THEM IN FEEDER.

FULL TIME FEEDER= THOSE WHO ARE ON THE JOB FULL TIME.

***"I was certainly hoping to continue to drive for UPS following the "peak season"****

As a relief feeder who doesn't want to be send back to package? or a temp driver who wish to stay with the company?

I as a memeber of this board ask question and share answer with people of this board. you can correct me anytime and share your answers anytime . but don't jump down on me and calling me names if you thinks i'm wrong.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
That is incorrect. I hired on in May as a permanent full time driver. I would not have left the job I had for a temp position with a family to support. No sir I asked this question several times as did the others that hired on off the street. Full time feeder driver is what I took. Like I said some of the sups admit they hired too many and now we are left sitting. They have not even offered to go to other centers and help out like we did in the past. I bet the contract carriers are in there.

if you were hired as a fulltime pkg driver and now working as a relief feeder. you have every right to go back to your pkg center and ask for a fulltime job if feeder doesn't have a job for you. contact your local union right now if they are screwing you like that, our contract protects us in situations like this.........

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I might question that.

last i heard they did that in england, hiring feeder drivers off the street as long as they had the licence. i am only aware of my local contract, and you could be right about it. maybe some other feeders can feed us some info about this.

if you were hired as a fulltime pkg driver and now working as a relief feeder. you have every right to go back to your pkg center and ask for a fulltime job if feeder doesn't have a job for you. contact your local union right now if they are screwing you like that, our contract protects us in situations like this.........

I hired off the street as a full time feeder driver. Talked to the local till I just can't take it.(blah, blah, blah) Just gets old. No chance to go to pkg until after the first of the year. I bet the guys above me will take those two positions. :surrender